Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 22, 2006, 11:17 AM   #1

I'm gonna invest in my first dslr system, I would like some feed backs, here are my options

a. 350d non lens kit from B&H 589$ after mail in rebate. 2gb extreme 3 memory, and to choose a lens please put in some input, I don't know that much bout lenses aka don't wanna buy a lemon.
b. 30D Kit $1350 from roberts, 2gb extreme 3 bout $100.
c. 30D non kit $1250 from roberts, 2gb extreme 3 bout $100, and $250 towards a lens (peanuts).
d. wait till the Panasonic dslr with leica lens comes out, or wait till the new sony Alpha series comes out.

I put the 30d kit on the list because I've heard is an improved kit lens from the older models. I did not post the 20D because the price difference is verry minimal compared to the 30D, and I'ts newer.
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:55 PM   #2

Please post wich option you think is best. I'm a beginner but want space to grow. Too bad the 5d konika's are discontinued, lovely camera's, sony will prob sell em in theyr name and add a 8mp ccd sensor. I'm starting to like the 350d, good price and similar quality to the 20-30D but I'm not sure on how the quality is, how high is the shutter rated? Do you really think I can pull off a longer life out of a 30D than a 350d?
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:05 PM   #3
Administrator

You might get better responses if you let others know what kind of photos you want to take.

A lens for outdoor use in good light is one thing, night sports in a stadium is something else entirely.

For example, if wanting something to take photos of sports in a stadium at night, I'd budget at least $800 for a 3rd party lens like a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG (more for a Canon or Nikkor with the same focal range and brightness).

Or, for existing light shooting while "club hopping", you may want a bright prime.

You've got a pretty big range of choices in your list. I'd make sure you are serious about pursuing your hobby before spending a lot of money on it. You may decide that you don't like lugging a larger DSLR and lenses around with you, depending on what your goals are.

As for shutter actuations, I've never read anything from Canon on shutter actuations for the Rebel XT. You see numbers quoted from time to time (for example, 50,000 actuations). But, it's hearsay versus pointing to a web page showing it, unless I missed it somewhere.

I've seen shutter failures reported with as few as 4,000 actuations on the Rebel XT (but you can have early failures with any camera). I'd probably expect one to last between 20 and 50k actuations before a failure. However, you may get one that lasts much longer. I know of one poster that had 78,000 actuations on one at last count (and it was still going).

The 20D is designed to be a more robust model. But, it's still not uncommon to see shutter failures after around 60k actuations with one. The new EOS-30D is tested to 100,000 actuations.

I'd let users know what you plan to shoot, and in what conditions. You may get better informed responses then.

The 30D has some advantages over the XT (ergonomics, build quality, viewfinder, frame rate, buffer size, ability to use ISO 3200, and more). But, you may not want to spend considerably more to get one, depending on how you plan on using a camera.

I'd give more thought to lens needs first (which may end up being a larger part of your budget, depending on what you want to shoot). There's nothing that says you need to buy all of your lenses at once, either.

Sometimes, its' best to stay with a kit lens until you have a better idea of your needs, based on limitations you see with it (especially if you don't have much experience with a camera), unless you have specific requirements up front (for example, low light sports).

As far as other brands, nobody knows for sure what Sony will do. My best guess (only a guess) is that we'll see a June launch of at least one DSLR model, along with a new lens lineup. Then, at least one more new model following this summer. It would not surprise me to see models designed to "one up" Canon in the resolution department either (for example, a newer 10MP sensor with lower noise than the one used in the Nikon D200). We'll just need to wait and see what the "have up their sleeve".

Sony intends to capture at least 25% of the DSLR market over the next few years (and some people have quoted them as going after 31%, based on comments made during a recent meeting with Analysts on April 10th). If they intend to chip away at Canon's market share, they'll probaby have some pretty competitive cameras and lenses coming out in the future. But, no crystal ball here. So, only time will tell.

As for the new Panasonic model, it looks like it will be using the same Panasonic sensor in the Olympus E-330. If you don't plan on needing higher ISO speeds, it will probably be a decent camera. Because the sensor is smaller in the 4/3's system cameras compared to the competition, they will have a bit higher noise (and/or lower detail from noise reduction) at higher ISO speeds. So, I'd keep that in mind, depending on the conditions you plan on shooting in.

It sounds like you're not sure what you may need.

I'd go down to a store and try them out in person to see how the "feel" to you (viewfinder, ergonomics, etc.).

No one camera is going to be just right for everyone in all conditions. But, in most conditions, your skill as a photographer will be the limiting factor, not your equipment. All of the entry level DSLR models are capable of taking nice photos.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:18 PM   #4
rey

The 30D has a longer shutter life than the 350D. Also, from what I can tell, the 18-55 kit lens on 350D, 20D and 30D are all the same.

If I had your budget (and have to buy Canon), I'd get the following:
350D
Vertical grip (The XT's body is too small for my hands)
Canon 17-85mm IS USM

I know I wouldn't go cheap on lens as it will affect your images more than the body. In addition don't forget the misc stuff like camera bag, cleaning kit, indoor lens. Once you've used your setup above for a while, then you'll know if you need a landscape wide angle lens or a telephoto lens. It depends on what camera you take most.

If I have your buget and can get anything, I'd get:

Nikon D50
Nikkor 18-200mm VR

The D50 body is not as good as the 30D, but with this lens, it'll take much better pictures that the 30D with an 18-55 kit lens.

Good Luck!
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2006, 5:08 PM   #5

I tried both the xt, d-50 and 20d
d50 felt good, but from pictures of both xt-and d-50 the d-50 seem to have colors that were exagerated, the feel of the 350xt was not comfortable but i liked the controls better than the menu driven ones on the d-50. The 18-200VR is one sick lens, If I've heard about it and I'm a noob then it must mean it's one heck of a lens. I'd be nice if the 20d would hit the 999$ mark.

What kinda photography I wanna do? well I want to capture moments, something that's fast, I wanna make BIG pictures (thats why I listed the canons). I wanna take some creative shots, outdoors, indoors. There's this lamborguini always parked in the public lot where I park, would be nice to get a shot of it.

Here's a good question, does having an bigger camera draw more positive attention? I don't wanna get hustled too much specially since they think everyone who takes pictures could be a threat.

I don't have to worry bout software, got Adove CS2. Will prob be nice to pick up something else on top of this, prob Noise Ninja and bible.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 5:56 PM   #6

If you're a serious amateaur, I'd say the 350D is your ticket.

If you have more semi-pro leanings, go for the 30D.

You could save yourself a bundle by buying an inexpensive 1 or 2 gb compact flash card.

For most people, you won't notice a difference between using a fast or slow card, while you can put that cash towards a better lens.

As for lenses, if you can spring for the Canon 17-85 IS, it's a n ice lens to build the rest of your kit around.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 12:37 AM   #7

Does canon have anything similar to the nikon 18-200vr lens? Thats one good lens wonder if canon offers something similar or as good. Biggest reason I wanna stick with the canon is because it has mirror lock up and i can put it on a tripod and get good long exposures.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:33 PM   #8

Anyone knows if Canon sells something similar to the nikon 18-200 vr?
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:40 PM   #9

Not really. Tamron has an 18-200 or something like that.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 12:26 AM   #10

I just noticed I'm from MASS too, I live a little north from u, Haverhill.
If I could find a 20D cheap enough I'd be a happy man.