Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 24, 2006, 3:04 PM   #1

Hi

love the specs and you guys are right it reads great but everything I own has the SD format is there anything close to the Fujis ?? how about the new Canon sd 700 ??
njdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 4:50 PM   #2
E.T

SD700 has image stabilizations which would work well with stationary targets like landscapes and architecture.

High ISOs of Fujis are mostly achieved with very strong processing and there hasn't happened miracles in CCD technology so I would expect F30's 3200 to be something in line with Panasonics detail free "high sensitivity" crap.

Here is couple higher ISO shots with that Canon. (scroll down)
http://www.quesabesde.com/noticias/1_2344
From stationary targets you might be able to get ISO3200 equivalent exposures with using only ISO400 and image stabilization and my vote goes for Fuji having much worser quality at 3200.

So at least if it's more about landscapes and such, like normal vacation photos that Canon should work well.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 6:16 PM   #3

I agree. SD cards and CF cards are so much cheaper. I used to own a Fuji F10.. I loved the pictures but in the end got really irritated with 1) lack of optical viewfinder; 2) xD cards; 3) the USB dock/adapter. It was so annoying to remember to take the dongle everywhere. With the Canon, if I am at a friends house, I can use a standard USB cable or a SD card reader to upload or share pictures.

I hope they fixed this in the F30. I would recommend to go with the new Panasonics or something from the Canon line. THe A700, SD550, SD600, SD630 or SD700 are all great outdoors and not so bad indoorts either.

Chris
chrisdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:20 PM   #4

Agreed. Fuji is loosing customers over to the SD card using side. xD is a pain in the ass.

Still, quality matters foremost and the pics in thelink posted in E.T's link, both iso400 and iso800,are horrible.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona700/page10.asp

Check out the comparison at iso400 between the canon a700 and the fuji f10. Bare in mind that the a700 is latest generation sensor technology from canon and that f10 is 5th generation superCCD sensor and not the latest coming from fuji which is 6th.I expect the f30 to kick major ass. xD might not be so bad after all. One will limit him/herself to 1GB but that's not such a problem, is it?

Cheers!
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:13 AM   #5

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Agreed. Fuji is loosing customers over to the SD card using side. xD is a pain in the bottom.

Still, quality matters foremost and the pics in thelink posted in E.T's link, both iso400 and iso800,are horrible.

The 400 ISO isn't too bad when viewed at a smaller size, but that 800 ISO is awful. I'd rather take pictures with my cheap Pentax 35mm P&S pocket film camera and scan them in. Maybe that's an exageration, but I would not shoot at that settingwith the Canon unless I was outdoors. Truthfully, I hate high ISO in any camera, including both my old Minolta SLRs except as neededwhen the only chance to take the picture and avoid the use of a flash.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote