Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 24, 2006, 5:34 PM   #1

Hi! guys... I am gonna go for vacation n' decided to buy a cool digicam with awesome features and performance... also i dont wanna spend too much on it.

Sony W50 is jus 6MP and it is Japan and has got rechargable batteries and memory is Mem stick pro( which is quiet expensive). I dunno wat other probs.

Casio Z120 is quiet infamous, it is also Japan has got AA batteries and mem.card is SD/MMC ( which is dead cheap and I already have many for my phones). I read its not good at all for printing photos?? i dont understand if the photo wuality looks good then y the print suckz??

Casio is a slightly fatter than W50 but... if i look out for that I'll lose a megapixel,AA batteries, MMC....

SO GUYS YOUR OPINION IN THIS MATTER COUNTS I NEED YOU GUYS TO ASSIST ME ON THIS CASIO THING.. I MEAN HOW BETTER ITS LENS IS THAN SONY,ETC,ETC...

PLEASE GUYS YOUR MAJORITY IS MY DECISION..ALSO I'LL FLY WITHIN A WEEK...

THANKS IS ADVANCE
logix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2006, 10:25 PM   #2

Go for the Casio Z120. It certainly has the better image quality, because the sensor is larger. It is also cheaper, because you can use cheap SD cards and NiMH batteries. Both cameras seem to have very good build quality. The movie mode of the Casio is very good but they are also very big. Here then Sony may have an advantage because it uses better video compression.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:06 AM   #3

I am seriouslt thinking of Sony W50..bcoz its got 2.5"LCD, printing images with it works pretty well, and on top of all its SONY!... Casio ain't well reputed, I should sacrifice MMC,AA bettery, an extra megapixel, jus for the name SONY & Carl Zeiss??

also this Casio Z120 is very cheap for its kind which makes me seriously feel that it is a flop. Even the Casio official website hasnt got full info abt it although its new release.

Casio lens..not trustable...

still confused....pls guys get me more opinions...... i dunno wat to do

also suggest if waiting for the Sony W70 will be worth it.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:19 AM   #4

Hi logix88

I've had no experience of the Casio,But I have just bought the Sony dsc-w50 and if I was you I would go for the Sony.

It is so easy to use,takes amazing photos and battery life is excellent.

I love it and would highly recommend it

I hope this helps you to decide.

tofog68.
tofog68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:30 AM   #5

Since you have listed a pure point and shoot and a camera with full manual controls I assume you intend just shooting in automatic and the manual controls aren't of significance to you. But besides full manual everything and an excellent control setup for using them, the Z120 has 5 settings each for saturation, contrast and sharpening plus custom white balance. The Sony has 3 settings each for contrast and sharpening and none for saturation and no custom WB. You could probably set the Z120 up to get images closer to your liking.

I'm curious to see a professional review that says prints from the Z120 aren't good. If you are going by Epinions or posts by people whose competence you have no way of judging, that is a poor approach IMO. My Z750 has the same lens and sensor as the Z120 and it produces excellent prints. I have a wide format photo printer and make prints up to 13 X 19 from it and have been very satisfied with the quality and resolution.

I don't share your preference for NiMH over lithium batteries as long as the lithium will fill a large card. You end up with a slightly more compact and lighter camera with lithium batteries and you don't have to be concerned with the self discharge. There are competent aftermarket lithium batteries that can be had in the $20 range. You can charge them and put them someplace handy without having to rotate them because of a high self discharge like you get with NiMH. I have both types and prefer lithium batteries.

Unless you intend making very large prints or cropping a lot, I doubt you would see any difference between 6 and 7Mp. 6Mp will make an excellent 11 X 14.

You don't want to put MMC cards in a Z120. You will slow your cycle times and drop frames in best quality movies. If you compare apples to apples and just consider fast cards, Memory Stick Pro isn't excessively more expensive than SD.

The Z120 has an excellent lens and sensor. I think the lens is made by Schneider and the sensor by Sony. Casio did an excellent job with the control setup. I haven't seen resolution reports on the W50 lens, but it appears to be quite good as well. I doubt you would see much difference in normal use. The Sony has slightly better noise at ISO 400 than the Casio even though the density is a bit higher. I think Sony has better in-camera noise reduction.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:35 PM   #6

So...what have we got now________

Casio printing myths were cleared by our expert...Casio's SD/MMC as got nothing to do with the choice....Casio's Batteries according to reviews are plus points as they are relatively inexpensive replacement in case of repair.

Casio's LCD a bit small... or otherwise it would be my choice...

still the Sony W50 is attractive, much compact, and its a SONY product so dont have to worry about its life. W50 is a new model whereas Z120 is not too old but still older than W50..... I still can't be convinced.. i dunno y i have this bad feeling on casio as they not reowned for digicams... maybe they have one or two outstanding model such as Z750/Z850... still Z120 was pushed back in its price for some reason.. which only a user of the Casio Z120 can make out.

So if any Casio Z120 users please do help me decide.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:18 AM   #7

I am a Casio Z-120 owner and I love the camera. Especially noteworthy is the great lens and MPEG-4 videao clips, which take up far less space on the SD card.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:24 PM   #8

Thanks a lot to all of you .....

I think I'll buy the Casio Z120 its got more of what I want.

Sony sucks sometimes with some models... one of the men told me that Sony mostly sells its product for its name., I think its true even I got confused.

Anywez thanx everyone for helping me come out of the dilemma.
Old May 2, 2006, 1:00 PM   #9

Yes all.... I've got it... not the Casio Z120 (thank god).....

Casio Z120 suckz in image quality build everything....

Sony W50 is simply awesome...no words to describe it...

Magnificent Sony product... I am really happy wid its performance.

SONY W50 RULZ!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old May 3, 2006, 5:44 AM   #10

We are all glad that you are happy with your purchase.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote