Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 25, 2006, 11:13 AM   #1

i am ready to upgrade from a point and shoot camera, i have read the reviews of both h-1 and fz- 5, it appears to come down to which brand you prefer from what i have read.

12x zoom and image stabilization, are my main priorities,i have hung on for the sony h-2 to compare to the fz-7, i have still not seen any reviews yet for the sony, however i have not been impressed with the reviews for the fz-7, i havejust read another this afternoon, only recieved 3 out of 5 for picture,apparently another noizy chip?,or

should i now stop reading reviews and just listen to the users of these cameras ?

which one is the best, ?

in your opinions and what are the pros and cons, of these cameras?

i have £300 to spend on a camera, i can get either the new sony h-2 or panasonic fz-7for that amount, asiwill probably have to spend another £100 on mem card and batteries, i believe both these cameras have very good lens for the money, i would also consider another camera brand, if anyone has one they can recommend, i would be willing todrop the zoom to x10 if it has stabilization, on it, maybe kodak, if anone has one they can recommend :?or is it worthgoing for the previous option of either camera, fz-5 or h-1,

i will mainly use it in auto mode, thus i think any camera, inthis price range will suffice

i want the camera for macros of flowers and insects and zoom for birds/wildlife, i cannot afford a dslr, also they are to big, (i only have small pockets), i have looked at this option,

(please include photo if possible) also bear in mind i am an automatic pilot

thanks for any help or advice

jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:56 PM   #2
E.T

Also Sony has noisy CCD, there just isn't ways for adding always more megapixels to that smallest possible sensor.

ISO400 would be somewhat tolerable, noise removing software can help jist little because picture has been already heavily processed for sweeping noise under the carpet.
http://www.quesabesde.com/camdig/not..._H2_ISO400.jpg

And when it comes to Sony's "high sensitivity" mode heavy noise removing destroys even colours while there's still considerable amount of partially blotchy chroma (colour) noise in it.
http://www.quesabesde.com/camdig/not...H2_ISO1000.jpg

While Panasonic's "high sensitivity" means barely 1.5MP resolution at least those have still colours left and resolution should be enough for normal sized paperphotos.

And if budget is tight you might want to remember that Sony's proprietary "scheisse" sticks are propably most expensive memory card type (competing with Fuji/Oly's xD) and you would lock yourself to Sony cameras.
Despite of SD being dead end format (1GB/2GB size limit and incompatable with current SD cameras, successor announced) cards are commonly used and will surely be available for long time at cheap prices.

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
also they are to big, (i only have small pockets)
Now neither these are for small pockets, you need good sized pockets for these.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/page2.asp
Sony is even bigger.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 2:07 PM   #3

e.t. thanks for your reply, looking at cameras of that size, in the light of the "noize" problem in your expierience could you recommend another brand, both my brothers use fuji 5500 (i think) but they use them foronce in a blue moonphotography, but i would like something with i.s. if possible, one reason i liked the sony was the use of aa batteries, also bearing in mind i will probably only use it in auto mode

again thanks, alan
Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:35 PM   #4

For the purposes you mention noise isn't a big factor. Stabilization lets you shoot at lower ISO and you won't see noise unless you want very large prints for your wall. Even then it is negligible at lower ISO and it is worthwhile to apply noise reduction software for a large print. There are free versions that are competent.

If you want something to carry in your pocket you might look at the Panasonic TZ1. I'm not a fan of LCD only cameras and especially not with long zooms. But the TZ1 is the only camera with your requirements you can carry around in your pocket.

I have cameras both with AA and proprietary lithium and much prefer the proprietary batteries. Cameras can be lighter and more compact, and you aren't concerned with the high self-discharge of NiMH. You can get an inexpensive aftermarket battery, charge it and use it two months later with almost full charge still in the battery. The spare is also easier to carry around. Something like the FZ7 and probably the TZ1 will take 300 shots on a battery, so storage is more of a problem than battery power.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 4:20 PM   #5

dear slipe thanks for your reply, i have seen the 2 cameras i mentioned and i would be happy with that size, i cannot use the lcd, and use the evf on my current camera at all times, i am also not a fan of using software to improve images other than crop or auto improve, if my picture isnt that good, i delete it, thats the beauty of digital, isnt it? i just want the best camera and accessories i can get for a maximum £400, there must be one for that money, i have been looking at reviews of fuji, however they dont have i.s. i should not have read reviews and just gone out and bought one, i think that is where i made my mistake.

thanks again, alan
Old Apr 28, 2006, 7:41 AM   #6

Hi Jad.

Your requirements are exactly as mine and I too am considering similar models. I currently use an Olympus C-770, which does not have 'is' but is really light and smallish, for a JACKET pocket. Its 10x optical has got me some lovely close ups of birds, which is why I bought it. Generally in good light the camera shake at full zoom is not a problem. However I too thought I would improve my chances with 'is' and 12x zoom.

I have narrowed it down to:

Pana FZ7

Canon S2 and the new S3

I like the pana as its smaller and lighter than the Canon, but I am concerned about the LCD being scratched as you can't fold it away as on the Canon. I also prefer the Li-ion rechargeable battery on the Pana as opposed to the AA's on the Canon, but thats a personal thing.

I have concluded I've just got to jump in and getting shooting! Best prices I've found online for the Canon S2 from reasonablly TRUSTED sites...£280 from Amazon and £265 for the FZ7. I reckon the S2 could be going lower quicker as the the new S3 is now on the market.

The way I figure, even if you buy and don't get on with the camera, you'll still get a good chunk back if you sell on ebay. Second hand S2's are still selling for around £200!

Good luck, let us know what you go for and how you get on with it.

So, as you say,
stupidgrinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:12 PM   #7

i have the 765u.z. and until recently been very happy with it, i am still baffled by it all, did not like the feel of either the h2 or fz7, due to in my opinion a peculiar shape and preferred the feel of the 765, i am back again loking at the e500, however i will have to wait for birthdays and christmas for upgrades for this, ifi buy it,2 lens kit for £570 upwards, but the threat of dust still worries me

if only oly had put i.s. on the sp500 that would have been perfect for me

thanks, alan
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:57 PM   #8

I have been pondering for months now about what camera to buy. I was considering the FZ5, FZ7, H1 and the new H2.

I have read many of reviews and comments from people who own these cameras and have looked at many sample pictures.

I bit the bullet the other day and have ordered myself a Sony H2. Although there has not been one review from what I consider as the main three digi cam sites as yet(dpreview, dcresource and this one).I have read many a comment and seen plenty of sample pictures of this camera from those people who own them. And it has been enough for me to decide which camera to go for. So on comments and sample pictures I decided to go for the H2 over the H1 as it seems that the picture quality is the same as the H1(this was the main concern) and the camera has been improved a little.And on some comments and picturesI have read and seen, the picture qualityis actually a little better.

Check out http://www.AAkatz.com for samples of what the H1 and as, the H2 picture quality is as good as or perhaps a little better are capable of. And while you are there check out the "white Paper" excellent sourcehelp for any budding H1 or H2 owner.

As for the link above for the for the "Quesabesde", don't forget that this was PRE -PRDUCTION model and the sample pictures do not give the H2 picture quality justice. I have seena lot better sample pictures from this camera on other digi cam forums. This is why I took the plunge.

Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 12:54 AM   #9

thanks predetor, the main reason or advantage for me with this camera, is aa batteries, i suppose like anything once you take the plunge you adapt to the camera, i will decide once i have seen steves review, as my previous comment, i am now leanig towards the oly e500, the main reason stopping me buying this camera, i can not decide if it is way over the top, for what i need

alan

saturday p.m.

big afternoon has arrived, iwent to a shop in bolton to test the h2 against the fz7, the fellainformed me that sony have withdrawn it due to memory stick compatability problems, anyone else heard this?
Old Apr 30, 2006, 6:55 AM   #10

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
big afternoon has arrived, iwent to a shop in bolton to test the h2 against the fz7, the fellainformed me that sony have withdrawn it due to memory stick compatability problems, anyone else heard this?
Yeah this is true but it only affects a batch with particular serial numbers. There has been a lot of talk of this on the DPreview site.

Sony have made available a "firmware" upgrade which you can download from sony.com. The only hitch is is that the problems are only with the Sandisk memory cards, so you need a sony memory card to download it, to! I have heard that Sony have been dishing free Sony cards out to people who have the H2's with this problem, so that the firmware upgrade can be possible.

Ihave also heard that the H2(in America anyway) maybe shipped as early as next week, some people have alreadyreceived replacement cameras.

Saying all this though, from what you have said,it is the first I have heard of any indication that there have been problems in the UK with the H2. I purchased one the other day from a supplier on pricerunner UK. I am just waiting for it to arrive(I hope it is not delayed). Pricerunner UKis showing 22 suppliers and they are all showing "In Stock".

Predator is offline   Reply With Quote