Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:44 PM   #1

I wish to have the following feature for my new camera:

Must have:
Lens support: 28mm
Image Stablizer
Good Optical Zoom (Prefer higher than 4x)

Manually adjustable feature:
GoodAperture (approx. F/2.8 )
Good ISO (approx. 800 or higher)
Good Shutter

Prefer normal handy camera size & weight not too big like professional SLRsize camera.

Any one can recommend me brand & model?
Steffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:05 AM   #2

Me too.... except the camera doesn't exist. You're going to have to pick and choose features.

The only camera that has high ISO and is decent in terms of image quality is the Fuji line - the F11, the Z2, the V10... of those, only the F11 has manual aperture, and the other two have maximum apertures of 3.3+ (not very much) and in May, the F30.

Except none of these have optical image stabilization.

Also, the only compact cameras that have a wide-angle lens (28mm) are the Panasonic FX-01 and the Ricoh Caplio R4. Except the Panasonic FX-01 has a really bad noise problem, and the R4 has a wide aperture of F3.3.

The Canon z850 has manual aperture and can record high ISOs (poorly), but only have digital image stabilization.

Finally, there's the Canon S700 IS which doesn't have a 28mm lens, but has both optical image stabilization and decent quality at ISO 800 (relative to the Panasonics). There's no manual aperture mode.

Pick and choose what's important to you... I can't and am still deciding which to go with.
slaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:08 AM   #3

Steffi wrote:
Quote:
I wish to have the following feature for my new camera:

Must have:
Lens support: 28mm
Image Stabilizer
Good Optical Zoom (Prefer higher than 4x)

Manually adjustable feature:
GoodAperture (approx. F/2.8 )
Good ISO (approx. 800 or higher)
Good Shutter

Prefer normal handy camera size & weight not too big like professional SLRsize camera.

Any one can recommend me brand & model?
I'm not sure what normal handy camera size means. Have you looked at anything at all yet in terms of size so we can get an idea of what suits you? Smaller than professional SLRsize camera encompasses a lot of categories. There are very compact cameras that have many of the feature you want, butwe need to get a better feel for what you are looking for to narrowit down to one or two categories as a good starting point.I'm also not clear on whether you are looking for a smaller DSLR, which aren't really that small,or looking for a small SLR style fixed lens camera. There are small SLR typeUltrazoom cameras that are very compact and easy to handle, will getyou to 10 or 12X, but you can't put them in your shirt pocket.

If you are looking for an Ultrazoom, the toughest featureto get on your listis gonna be that "good ISO part of 800 or higher", so I'm glad to see it is not on your "must list". If you go with aDSLR, then high ISO is a given and it won't influence your choice unless you start to compare results between models. Keep in mind that in order to achieve good ISO results large sensors are used and is the very reason DSLRs are relatively large even in the smaller sizes.

The Image Stabilization will narrow down your choices some, but I won't buy a camera without one. If you are shooting mostly tripod than you can probably live without it. There are those that swear you don't need Image Stabilization even shooting freehand, but there are shots on the fly that you will miss taking or want to delete after reviewing the quality of the photo. Keep in mind that stabilization will only compensate for hand shake and not a subject like child who refuses to sit still.

What types of manual features are a must? Do you mean just the ability to chose your ownaperture or shutter speed?A manual zoom ring is a nice feature, but not for everyone. I find it gets me where I want faster and more precisely.I spend less time goingback and forth because of overshooting my zoom point. Some cameras havemanual push button focus, but Ilike having the option of havinga manual focus ring and hardly use the push button?

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:22 AM   #4

slaman wrote:
Quote:
Me too.... except the camera doesn't exist. You're going to have to pick and choose features.

The only camera that has high ISO and is decent in terms of image quality is the Fuji line - the F11, the Z2, the V10... of those, only the F11 has manual aperture, and the other two have maximum apertures of 3.3+ (not very much) and in May, the F30.

Except none of these have optical image stabilization.

Also, the only compact cameras that have a wide-angle lens (28mm) are the Panasonic FX-01 and the Ricoh Caplio R4. Except the Panasonic FX-01 has a really bad noise problem, and the R4 has a wide aperture of F3.3.

The Canon z850 has manual aperture and can record high ISOs (poorly), but only have digital image stabilization.

Finally, there's the Canon S700 IS which doesn't have a 28mm lens, but has both optical image stabilization and decent quality at ISO 800 (relative to the Panasonics). There's no manual aperture mode.

Pick and choose what's important to you... I can't and am still deciding which to go with.

Thanks Slaman for your information and reply. Looks like we need to wait for new brand & model to come out with our wishlist. By the way, I saw the new Sony DSC-T30 not a bad option, except it doesn't have 28mm wide-angle lens.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:30 AM   #5

In terms of size, I mean something like Canon IXUS 800 or similar is acceptable. Don't want as big as those Canon 350D type of camera. But from your reply, actually I don't mind to have a look at some of those small SLR type ultrazoom camera that had my wishlist features.

For good ISO, I just don't want something like Panasonic FX-01 which had bad noise with high ISO.

Yes, I really want to get an image stabilizer camera, just to prevent my hand shake. I think this narrow down to few brand, since not many of them have this feature.

Yes, would any non-SLR camera had the ability to choose own aperture and shutter speed? From what you said, it sounds like manual focus not a bad option. I guess not really a must, just depend on which model can get the above features first.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 10:24 AM   #6
E.T

Steffi wrote:
Quote:
But from your reply, actually I don't mind to have a look at some of those small SLR type ultrazoom camera that had my wishlist features.
None of those ultrazooms has good wide angle.

One the few longer zoom cameras with wide angle is KonicaMinolta A200 but that coule be too big... you apparently mean camera which you could put easily to normal size pocket?

Quote:
Yes, would any non-SLR camera had the ability to choose own aperture and shutter speed?
Some cameras have that, despite of marketing BS in most cameras those would be slow to use and adjust.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:05 PM   #7

Hi Steffi,

No problem for the reply... I almost ruled out the FX-01 because of the review, but I have not found a viable alternative that can take decent shots at high ISOs... All of them suffer... The Canons, the Casios, the Panasonics, and the Ricohs... The Fuji's are the only ones that do well in this regard, but they lack optical image stabilization... and I personally feel that will be more important for my uses.

The FX-01 has all other features other than decent quality at high sensitivities!
slaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 6:07 PM   #8

Take a look at the Konica Minolta 5D.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:47 PM   #9

slaman wrote:
Quote:
Hi Steffi,

No problem for the reply... I almost ruled out the FX-01 because of the review, but I have not found a viable alternative that can take decent shots at high ISOs... All of them suffer... The Canons, the Casios, the Panasonics, and the Ricohs... The Fuji's are the only ones that do well in this regard, but they lack optical image stabilization... and I personally feel that will be more important for my uses.

The FX-01 has all other features other than decent quality at high sensitivities!

Hi Slaman,

So, what do you think of the new Sony DSC-T30 ?
Old Apr 26, 2006, 9:46 PM   #10

Steffi wrote:
Quote:
In terms of size, I mean something like Canon IXUS 800 or similar is acceptable. Don't want as big as those Canon 350D type of camera. But from your reply, actually I don't mind to have a look at some of those small SLR type ultrazoom camera that had my wishlist features.

For good ISO, I just don't want something like Panasonic FX-01 which had bad noise with high ISO.

Yes, I really want to get an image stabilizer camera, just to prevent my hand shake. I think this narrow down to few brand, since not many of them have this feature.

Yes, would any non-SLR camera had the ability to choose own aperture and shutter speed? From what you said, it sounds like manual focus not a bad option. I guess not really a must, just depend on which model can get the above features first.
Most cameras in compactsizes are 4X zoom or smaller. As you increase zoom you will lose wide even if you only go to 6X. One example of the is the Panasonic LZ series. Have you tried a 4X to see if it is adequate? Most compacts are designed as P&S with very few manual controls, but there are exceptions. The Ultrazooms will give you more features but you will lose wide angle. If there was a camera built to include all your must have and some of your nice to have features, they would sell a gazillion of them. Somewhere along the line we all make a choice and compromise. In the end, more than one camera is the best solution, but not practical for everyone to own or carry around.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote