Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 26, 2006, 1:23 PM   #1

Alright i've been running around reading reviews, checking prices, all that fun stuff.

Right now i'm looking at Fuji Finepix S5100. I haven't come across any BAD reviews, it's not to expensive and it has alot of features i really like...

This is where all of you come in... Is this is a good choice? if not could you guys point me in the right direction? I have a budget of about $500.

Thanks in advance
Clownage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2006, 1:57 PM   #2

S5100 is a very nice camera. It was on the Steve's best cameras list in the super-zoom categoryabout a year ago. Good lens and battery life, great handling, good results. I loved mine, but upgraded to S9500 and sold it about a month ago, it's current owner is very happy with it.The only problem, it has been discontinued and replaced by S5200.

S5200 is also on the same Best cameras list, has faster startup time, better low-light ability and great ergonomics. It's a bit bigger than S5100. Try it ina camera store and if you like it, justgo for it. Shop around, you can have one for about $300 +/-.

HTH
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:27 PM   #3

Wow i really like the look of that camera. seems i can grab a new one with some accessories off ebay for about $400 CAD.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:24 PM   #4
E.T

Clownage wrote:
Quote:
This is where all of you come in... Is this is a good choice? if not could you guys point me in the right direction?
How about first telling what would be requirements.
What kind targets you would photograph? General photography, landscapes, architecture or mainly wild animals/birds?
Low light/lot of inside shots, action shots?

Also is there defintie size limit like pocketable?
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 7:04 PM   #5

I don't know alot of the terms used so i'll try and describe what i need it to do...

Size isn't a big deal...

I'll need it for ALOT of action shots. high quality still photo's would be a big bonus though.

I think it's shutter speed but, with my old camera i had to time it. I'd have to hold the button for about a second before it finally took the picture, then it took another 5-6 seconds before i could take another photo. This is a big NoNo this time around

The only other feature i'd really like, and i have no idea what it's called is the ability to set it to snap several pictures over a short span on time.

ie. someone skating by, i could set the camera to take a picture every .5 seconds as i follow the target.

Good video Quality is also a big bonus but not a must.

Guess i'm asking alot
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:59 AM   #6

Fuji S5200 can still fit the bill IMO.

It's surely not a pocket camera, but it's not an issue I understand.

It starts up in about 1 sec, thanks to a non-extending zoom,and the shutter lag is very short. Autofocus is fast and reliable.

For action you have 3 continuous shooting modes: you can take the first 3 or the last 3 pictures in a long sequence at the 2 frames/sec rate, or you can take up to 40 images at more lethargic 0.9 frame/sec rate following your target. I'm not into action shooting, but I've seen a lot of great skating and water ski pics taken with this cam.

It takes good quality video clips as well. The general image quality is also very good and you can blow up your pics up to 13X19 size.

The 38mm "wide" angle can be a bit limiting, but this is common in super-zoom cameras.

Canon S2 can also suit you well, but it's startup time is longer and the AFisslower (I can be wrong here).Image stabilizer won't help you with action shot of fast moving targets and the image quality at the max ISO400 is not that great IMO.

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:23 PM   #7

Fuji is still the winner after checking out some canon reveiws.

The only thing Canon has over the fuji is the continuous shooting modes. seems theres no limit.