Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:16 PM   #1
cb2

I currently have an Olympus C-750 which was the Daddy of its day in the small super zooms. It's getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm looking for a smaller one.

I've heard a bit about the Panasonic DMC-TZ1S and the new EASYSHARE V610. Does anyone on here have one or know which one of these is the better camera for taking action shots of sports?
cb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:56 PM   #2

Neither camera is going to be particularly good for action sports. I think the Kodak will be particularly poor at sports action. It appears the camera is f8 at 10X zoom and that isn't very good. The TZ1 is f4.2 at 10X which is a lot better. And the V610 is a stop slower at wide. Definitely not a sports camera. Not that the TZ1 is great for sports, but it should be a lot better than the V610.

The V610 has only digital stabilization for movies where the TZ1 has true optical stabilization that works for both still and movies. For a 10X zoom with noeyelevel viewfinder I think optical stabilization is a must. It won't help for subject motion, but you will find yourself limited to only bright sunlight without it at 10X – especially with f8 as your best aperture.

I haven't seen a full review so I don't know how the transition works on the V610. But the V570 uses digital zoom for the transition between the 23mm fixed lens and the regular zoom. If the V610 works the same way you will use probably only about 2Mp of the sensor or lessto shoot in the 90mm equivalent range, which is a common shooting range. I would wait for a good comprehensive review of the V610 before considering it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2006, 8:35 AM   #3
cb2

Thanks for all of that. Are there any other cameras you might suggest or is it better to wait a little longer until there are better and smaller x10 zooms on the market?
Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:37 PM   #4

You could wait forever. I would think you can get decent sports photos with the TZ1 outdoors. That aperture if fine for most sports unless you want to shoot indoors. And I doubt anyone will make a 10X pocket camera good for that anytime soon.

Fuji has done great things with acceptable noise at high ISO with the F10/11/30. But it has a large sensor that isn't appropriate for a super zoom in a small camera. Their cameras with smaller sensors don't compensate for lack of stabilization IMO. But you need higher ISO capability to shoot sports indoors and I don't see anything small with that capability in the near future.

It is also hard to make an optical viewfinder beyond about 5X and EVFs take too much space. So you will also be dealing with a less stable holding position. I would think stabilization would be a good feature for that kind of camera for most photography unless you are just buying the camera to shoot sports.

Who knows – maybe someone will announce a small super zoom with high ISO capability next week. But you could miss a lot of photos waiting.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 5:05 AM   #5
cb2

Thanks. All the sport I shoot is outdoors so I'll consider what you wrote.