Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 2, 2006, 9:58 PM   #11

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
DSLR and PC do have one thing in common. New models are always better and cheaper. How much a DSLR cost has nothing to do with how good it is. Fast technology change makes new models which take advantage of themable tosell better DSLR for less. An other factor is Nikon moved their plant to Ayuthaya, Thailand while Canon are still made in Japan. Lower labour cost may also be the factor.
While price is not always proportiante on a linear scale to how good something is, it certainly is relative. Even in cases where higher cost doesn't influence basic picture quality, it may influence how many features or options you have, which can improve the quantity of quality shotsand it most certainly influences build quality.
Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 1:12 AM   #12

Meatwhistle wrote:
Quote:
ruchai wrote:
Quote:
DSLR and PC do have one thing in common. New models are always better and cheaper. How much a DSLR cost has nothing to do with how good it is. Fast technology change makes new models which take advantage of themable tosell better DSLR for less. An other factor is Nikon moved their plant to Ayuthaya, Thailand while Canon are still made in Japan. Lower labour cost may also be the factor.
While price is not always proportiante on a linear scale to how good something is, it certainly is relative. Even in cases where higher cost doesn't influence basic picture quality, it may influence how many features or options you have, which can improve the quantity of quality shotsand it most certainly influences build quality.
In the real world high pricesoften reflect poor managements which also mean poor quality products.

Iam not going to argue about Canon and Nikon.These two companies are fighting for many decades. When Canon 'invented' auto focus it was Canon that I would buy but it wont be long before Nikon made even better auto focus. The same was true with Nikon flashes which did not took long before Canoncaught up withthe Nikon lead.

I rather compare products thatare available in the market today. My opinion is that there are only D50, D200, 30D and 5D competing in toady market. D70s and 350D are ok if they will give big enough discounts. These four are the cameras with today technologies. Wait one or two years they too will become obsolete.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 7:34 AM   #13

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
I rather compare products thatare available in the market today. My opinion is that there are only D50, D200, 30D and 5D competing in toady market. D70s and 350D are ok if they will give big enough discounts. These four are the cameras with today technologies. Wait one or two years they too will become obsolete.
Don't forget the 5Ds big brother 7D, especially at the current prices. The 5D's are getting harder to come by if you want brand new in the box from an authorized dealer.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 12:32 AM   #14

Meanstreak, I think Ruchai is referring to the Canon 5D. However Vinter, Meanstreak makes a good point. There are other dslr's on the market from Olympus and Sony/Minolta. Have you tried them on for size?

All of these camera's are great and you wouldn't be un-impressed by any of the image quality. However, if you're stuck on a Canon or a Nikon I personally found the Canon to be a little small and I would've needed to spend extra on a battery grip. Also the Nikon's (where I come from anyway) are a fair bit cheaper at the moment. Only you can tell which one is more comfortable though.

I ended up getting a Panasonic FZ30 which was a great compromise that ended my confusion and saved me some money.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote