Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2006, 4:20 PM   #11
E.T

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
why was your camera not suitable for birds, this is one of the reasons i want a megazoom to photograph the birds in my garden
Because if you want real "close ups" ~400mm ain't enough unless you're on otherside of window and target is on tree right outside window.
Just in weekend I was in nature photography course and there were couple professional photographer and they admitted that ~600mm isn't enough for anything resembling close up from even such big birds as swans unless you manage to get much closer than what swans normally allows.
Also DSLRs are about only cameras which can focus to flying bird (and keep it in focus) so for more serious bird photography there isn't really any choosing.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 4:56 PM   #12

I owned a FZ30 for about a month and ended up selling it for a dSLR. I came to the conclusion that the FZ30 is one of the best ultrazooms out there, but I wasn't going to be happy with anything less than a dSLR. If you take the dSLRs out of contention, and don't mind the compromises that the fixed lens cameras like the FZ30 make, then get the FZ30. Just my opinion, I thought the noise issue was over-rated and besides, Neat Image is SO easy to use for those high ISO pictures. It is capable of giving you lots of good pictures.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 5:02 PM   #13

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I owned a FZ30 for about a month and ended up selling it for a dSLR. I came to the conclusion that the FZ30 is one of the best ultrazooms out there, but I wasn't going to be happy with anything less than a dSLR. If you take the dSLRs out of contention, and don't mind the compromises that the fixed lens cameras like the FZ30 make, then get the FZ30. Just my opinion, I thought the noise issue was over-rated and besides, Neat Image is SO easy to use for those high ISO pictures. It is capable of giving you lots of good pictures.

Agree with everything above

i own fz30 but i cant wait to buy a good dslr
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 9:04 PM   #14

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
ruchai,

why was your camera not suitable for birds, this is one of the reasons i want a megazoom to photograph the birds in my garden, i think you may be right,i am looking at the fz7 also the sony h2, i held the fz30 and i now feel this to be a little on the large side for me,

thanks for your comments, alan
My FZ20 has a much smaller CCD than those use in DSLR. When I had enough light the bird pictures taken with the FZ20 are close to those taken with my D50 and D200. But unfortunately birds come out from the bush early morning and late evening in the tropic where we live. If you intend to take birds photographs seriously DSLR is the tool. With ISO over 200 the FZ picture quality is usually unacceptable. If you will use flash taking birds pictures in your garden is possible and may be the best camera to start with if you could get one cheap.

If you going for serious wild birds photography focal length of 400mm (600mm equivalent) should be the minimum. Those big glasses are very expensive. I did photograph many birds with my FZ20. I am retired and spending most of my time photograping birds in our garden. I am now using the D200 and Nikkor 80-400VR for all my bird photos. Going back to FZ20? No, not me.

Attached photo was taken with my FZ20.
Attached Images

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 9:08 PM   #15

Here is my latest bird picture taken in our garden with my D200 and Nikkor 80-400VR.
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2006, 9:50 PM   #16

Hmm ur fz20 shots look very poor. were u using digital zoom or did you crop heavily. i have never used the fz20 and im sure i recal some exceptional bird shots from this cam but very disappointing if this is all it can do.

I have taken long range shots with my fz30 and they look brilliant.

Old May 1, 2006, 10:10 PM   #17

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
Hmm ur fz20 shots look very poor. were u using digital zoom or did you crop heavily. i have never used the fz20 and im sure i recal some exceptional bird shots from this cam but very disappointing if this is all it can do.

I have taken long range shots with my fz30 and they look brilliant.

Some fz20 shots i found real quick

Squirl is an exceptional photographer see here

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ight=fz20+bird

Old May 1, 2006, 10:18 PM   #18

Had to crop because it was too far for the FZ lens. If you look at Panasonic ads then they will be taken with special lighting. Here I wanted to show what to expect of the camera in the hand of average armature like my self. This picture probably was one of the best among the thousand shots I made with the FZ20. The limiting factors are 1) ISO 100, 2) 420mm lens. I could add the teleconverter but then the light will be even lower which mean more ISO.

These Hoopoes photos may be fairer, taken from the same place with similar lighting about a year apart. This one was from FZ20.
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2006, 10:22 PM   #19

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
Had to crop because it was too far for the FZ lens. If you look at Panasonic ads then they will be taken with special lighting. Here I wanted to show what to expect of the camera in the hand of average armature like my self. This picture probably was one of the best among the thousand shots I made with the FZ20. The limiting factors are 1) ISO 100, 2) 420mm lens. I could add the teleconverter but then the light will be even lower which mean more ISO.

These Hoopoes photos may be fairer, taken from the same place with similar lighting about a year apart. This one was from FZ20.

i dont mean to be rude but the shot is horrible (technically) in most ways. I will take some bird shots myself and post to see cmoparison

SO do you have more than 420mm now, personally ithink this is a ton of zoom.
Old May 1, 2006, 10:22 PM   #20

This was taken recently with the D200 and 80-400VR. Note that this one was taken with 400mm (600mm equivalent) lens while the FZ photo was taken with 420mm equivalent lens.
Attached Images