Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2006, 9:26 PM   #21

itsa nice shot

this is similarto wati would expect from fz

ofcourse i wouldnt expect fz to take on dslr like yours.

nice shot though

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 10:09 PM   #22

Most people who moved fromsuper zoomto DSLR will not waste their time arguing in a forum like this. I hate to see others waste their hard earened cash like I did. What I am trying to do is how to make people realize that with modern high quality and cheap DSLR (D50) they should not waste their time and money on those point and shoot like the FZ. Their is an an article about this in the Chicagotribune today (just saw it via Google News). Here is the pictures they compared between the D50 and the most advanced super zoom. I now felt better, if some one think I am the one who tried to compare my worst point and shoot shot with my best slr pictures, he will now know that I am not the only one!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/techno...6418.htmlstory

Or go to the article here:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-hed
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 10:38 PM   #23

ofcourse dslr is the better way to go.

im just trying to put across the point that the fz20 is much better than you are making it out to be.

Here is a shot i took at 420mm with my 30
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2006, 10:43 PM   #24

another at 420mm
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2006, 10:45 PM   #25

another at 420
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2006, 10:46 PM   #26

another at 420
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2006, 10:48 PM   #27

anohter at shorter distnce
Attached Images

Old May 1, 2006, 10:49 PM   #28

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
i own fz30 but i cant wait to buy a good dslr

I don't know what you are in the market for or when, but I just got a sweet deal from Adorama on a Maxxum 7D with the MinoltaAF 28-75MM F2.8 for 949. They have the camera by itself for 899. The lens sells for 379 at B&H and 399 at Adorama. In fact if you walk in off the street they quote you 899 and 399 after initially trying to sell me something else.They tried to sell it to me for full price taking a chance that I hadn't seen the website. They have it on their website for 949 and if you don't live in NY, there is no tax. They get 20 bucks for shipping , but I picked it up. Circuit city has the 7D for 849 on their website with acheaper kit lens, 28-100mm lens and believe it isan 3.5 to 5.6. Despite a littlemore zoom,it just doesn't compare and it was 100 bucks less for the package.

It may not be the DSLR you are looking for, but this camera is worth a lot more than the current price. It is just reduced because they got out of the business.

Truthfully, I really only wanted a 5D andI could have gotten one with the basic lens for under 700, but the 7D with the f2.8 lens was just to good to pass up. The 7D is a bit heavier and larger, but its ergos feels good and I have small hands. I could turn the lens over on EBay for a quick profit, but then I wouldn't have the lens.

One of the bigreasons I wanted the Maxxum was because it has Antishake, which is a feature I grew to love i n the Panasonic FZ30. I didn't want to have to buy a DSLR, which would require buying each lens with Antishake as that gets rather expensive. I also didn't want to wait for Sony to release their versions of the KMs. I wanted a DSLR now and theMaxxumwasthe only answer for me. Just a thought, but I sure hope Sony doesn't go to their proprietary memory stick in their models.

I can't wait to start shooting outdoors with this beast as I've only gotten to shoot silly stuff in doors, although I must admit it does a great job in low light. The Autofocus is fast and pretty accurate. If I open the flash in total darkness, it illuminates the subject just so the camera can focus properly.

I do miss the FZ30, but If I could only have one camera for now, I decided for my needs that DSLR was the way to go. I didn't feel that way prior to purchasing the FZ30, I had convinced myself I should wait for the technology to change before making a big investment in DSLR. I soon realized that waiting meant doing without the capabilities of DSLR. Of course, I don't have the zoom power of the FZ30, but I'll be looking on EBay for some deals on Minolta lenses. Damn shame that my old Minlota film lenses don't fit. There is an adapter available, but the lenses are not autofocus. Once I get settled with this camera, I may buy another ultrazoom. Probably Panasonic.... maybe the much anticipated FZ40 if it ever becomes reality. I was also thinking for the type of shots that I want the ultrazoom for, I might be better off with the smaller Panasonics, which I could carry with my bag as a backup or for those times a big camera like the Maxxum or FZ30 were just too big. Not a pocket camera, but something that would be easy to lug around for those trips to Disney and such. As I stated before in a prior post, I would but the FZ30 all over again, if I were in the market for an Ultrazoom. It is one heck of camera... a lot of bang for the buck.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 10:59 PM   #29

Sounds like a great deal, but unfortuanltly not anytime soon for me. thanks for going through the effort mate

Ohh yea i would love the 5d, but realistically i think im looking at the 30d.

And yes i no wat you mean. i see shots from ppl with dslr and envy them as i know my cam could never take decent shots in those situations. but the fz30 has been a fantastic cam and creates exceptional images. i love it

But definately dslr on the horizon. I felt the fz30 was a great cam to learn and devlop my photographic skills with. i mean its such an easy cam to get decent images out of. But i think i am nearly at the level where i can actuallty appreciate the advnatges of the dslr range

Old May 1, 2006, 11:06 PM   #30

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
ofcourse dslr is the better way to go.

im just trying to put across the point that the fz20 is much better than you are making it out to be.

Here is a shot i took at 420mm with my 30
I have seen many great Ultrazoom shots posted on this site and have taken some myself. In my book the Ultrazooms are not slouches and there are moments that I know I won't be able tocapture certain shots without swaping lenses and then there will be moments that there won't be time to swap. Of course, I could reach deep in my pockets and buy the mother of all zooms for my DSLR, but I'm wondering if I could even lift it then since I have a slight tear in my rotator cuff.

Ultrazooms may one day be the weapon of choice if they ever decide to toss a bigger sensor inside one of those bad boys without making it too huge. I can't wait for that to happen. Of course, I wonder who will be the first manufacturer to blink, since they probably are hesitant to cut into there own DSLR market. Panasonic was in a great position to do that until they decided to venture into the DSLR market. Personally,I think Pansonic should have introduced more than one model or at a lower price point until they establish themselves as a competitor in the DSLR market. Then again, maybe they were afraid to cut into their Ultrazoom investment until the end of their model's lifecycle. Why kill a good thing????
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote