Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 2, 2006, 1:33 AM   #31

well i just bought the fz30 bcse it was the best thing that i could afford. Unfortunately here in nz dslr are very expensive. So i thought i would go out and try buy the best of the non dslr cams. I know there are slr at the same or similar price point but i dont want to go under 8mp now after having it. so i think 30d is the best choice and at this point in time to expsensive for me. But like said the fz30 serves me very well and i am still very very happy with it
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 1:37 AM   #32

It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Yes, in most cases a dslr will take a better photo obviously. But you could buy 2 or 3 FZ30's for the cost of a dslr and a decent IS zoom lense. Remember, the lenses on the FZ's are Leica lenses. An awesome piece of glass.

Seeing that you're just going to stick your camera on 'auto', you wont get the best out ofany cameraanyway, so ifyou're not wanting to get a cheaper camera and learn how to use it, then a dslr will take a better picture on 'auto' than anything else.

Yet, Ifyou learnt how to use the camera, could anFZ30 take a better picture with the apropriate manual settings than a dslr on 'auto'? Maybe...

Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 2:02 AM   #33

Grant2 wrote:
Quote:
Yet, Ifyou learnt how to use the camera, could anFZ30 take a better picture with the apropriate manual settings than a dslr on 'auto'? Maybe...

Agreed

If you buy an dslr and cant drive it then you aint gettin ur moneys worth. same for the fz30. and like earlier in the forum you can see what fz20 shos can look like used by differenet users
Old May 2, 2006, 7:28 AM   #34

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
well i just bought the fz30 bcse it was the best thing that i could afford. Unfortunately here in nz dslr are very expensive. So i thought i would go out and try buy the best of the non dslr cams. I know there are slr at the same or similar price point but i dont want to go under 8mp now after having it. so i think 30d is the best choice and at this point in time to expsensive for me. But like said the fz30 serves me very well and i am still very very happy with it
Isn't there a way you can buy one from the US or is there some issuethat I'm not aware of?

A month ago I would have agreed with insistingon the horsepowerof at least 8mp, but I no longer feel that way especially at the DSLR level. For most shotsthe way I view/print them, 6mp is more than adequate.Even when I had the FZ30, I shot with 5 MP and I couldn't tell the difference. InterestinglyPanasonic chose to go with 5 mp with its new DSLR. I suppose if you do a lot of cropping, it make a big difference. Don't get me wrong, if I could have gotten the Maxxum in 8mp, I would have. For my money, I wanted image stabilization over most other features. One thing that isimportant when considering MP count is taking into consideration the size of the sensor. If we take two same size sensors and put more Megapixels on one vs the other you will find the one with more noisier.

One thing I miss about the FZ30 compared to DSLR is that I can no longer shoot with the LCD. I mostly used the EVF anyway, but the LCD, especially with its"flip out"capabilities, was nice when taking those akward shots below the waist or above the shoulders. I also miss being able to preview what the shot would actually look prior to snapping the shutter. On the other hand nothing can match the crispness of of an optical viewfinder especially when trying to determine how well you are focused. I also hated the lag time of the EVF and not being able to see anything in the EVF between shots.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 7:40 AM   #35

Grant2 wrote:
Quote:
"....you could buy 2 or 3 FZ30's for the cost of a dslr and a decent IS zoom lense. Remember, the lenses on the FZ's are Leica lenses. An awesome piece of glass."
That is why I chose the Maxxum with IS built into the camera. Unfortunatly going that route limits your choices severly tothe Maxxum 5D or 7D, or waiting for the Sony to introduce their models. Yes... that Leica lens is great.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 1:15 AM   #36

From what I hear the KM's are great cameras and that 'in body' IS is a massive selling point. Such a great idea.

Owning the FZ30 really showed me how important IS is and because IS lenses are so damn expensive I'd probably be looking at a KM if I were to buy a dslr.
Old May 3, 2006, 1:28 AM   #37

Grant2 wrote:
Quote:
From what I hear the KM's are great cameras and that 'in body' IS is a massive selling point. Such a great idea.

Owning the FZ30 really showed me how important IS is and because IS lenses are so darn expensive I'd probably be looking at a KM if I were to buy a dslr.

yes i also read somehwere that they have exceptionally lo noise at hi iso which is something i would love moving fwd into dslr later on
Old May 3, 2006, 3:37 AM   #38
E.T

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Ultrazooms may one day be the weapon of choice if they ever decide to toss a bigger sensor inside one of those bad boys without making it too huge.* I can't wait for that to happen.
I agree that you can't wait that long... because that will happen never without making it huge.
Laws of physics guarantee that.

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I also miss being able to preview what the shot would actually look prior to snapping the shutter.
If target is white on dark background, like swan in front of forest underexpose one stop. If there's darker target against light background like skier on snow overexpose similarly. That's how at least couple professional photographers do it if right exposure of main target is necessary.

Quote:
On the other hand nothing can match the crispness of of an optical viewfinder especially when trying to determine how well you are focused.* I also hated the lag time of the EVF
Now what is this horrible lag everyone keep touting about while I haven't noticed much any kind lag in two digicams I've had to this date?
And 922 000 pixel EVF shows quite well focused area in macrophotography.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 3:29 AM   #39

E.T, all EVF's (that I know of) suffer from 'picture lag' when you are using continuous shooting. I'm pretty sure that's what the quote was referring too. Not shutter lag.
Old May 4, 2006, 7:22 AM   #40

Grant2 wrote:
Quote:
E.T, all EVF's (that I know of) suffer from 'picture lag' when you are using continuous shooting. I'm pretty sure that's what the quote was referring too. Not shutter lag.
Even without continuous shooting, it's slighty annoying not to be able to see through the EVF right after taking a shot. Probably wouldn't bother someone who's never had a film camera. I'm not sure why they don't makean UltraZoom with an optical viewfinder..... maybe it isa size limitation. I guess that would technically make it an SLRwith a fixed lens.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote