Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2006, 6:26 AM   #41

E.T wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I also miss being able to preview what the shot would actually look prior to snapping the shutter.
If target is white on dark background, like swan in front of forest underexpose one stop. If there's darker target against light background like skier on snow overexpose similarly. That's how at least couple professional photographers do it if right exposure of main target is necessary.

E.T.

That helps to compose the shot, but that still doesn't give you a preview of what the picture will look like.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 7:05 AM   #42

I bought a FZ30 about 2 weeks ago

It is comfortable to hold
It takes very good pictures

Still trying to figure out all the options
and such but i def recommend a small tripod if you plan
on taking some long distance or nighttime shots

I was trying to take pictures of the moon last night and
they all came out wobbly because I didnt have a tripod

The digital zoom is cool, but i dont think it is that useful
I still have to do some tests with that.

Overall its a great camera, and my gf who didnt want me to buy it
told me yesterday that she really likes my camera,

Thanks- Daniel
Magikhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 11:13 AM   #43

For me, it was a easy decision to make.

1, I consider myself a beginner in photography. I know I wouldn't want to carry more than 1 camera around cause I know I am not "hard core" enough in this hobby just yet.

Then 2, I know taking short video is a very important feature for me as I use this feature a lot but not to the point that I need a camcorder. So DSLR is out of the question.

And 3, Fiji 9500 doesn't have antishaking feature so I didn't consider it.

4, Manual zoom and manual focus are must. I hated my old Coolpix 995 zooming speed, especially everytime when I start up the camera, I have to press the zoom out button get it back to the widest angle, and everytime I turn it off, it automatically move the lens back to a sort of middle range position. I hate that, don't move my stuff.

5, I like the way how the LCD screen can be tilted to a almost 90 degree flat position facing up, or flip it into the camera body when I don't want to use it. So any fixed screen camera is out the question as well (I was considering the FZ7 but this killed it)

Finally, I like proprietary battery better than AA type batteries cause I can reload the battery faster.

The FZ-30 fit all my needs while I can't really find any other prosumer type DC that match it, so, yes I would still buy it again unless they release an advance model with a larger ccd sensor.
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 11:18 AM   #44

I would recommend you get a regular/medium size tripod instead of a very small one.
I used to have a small one that extended to about 50" and can retract to about 13."
I eventually found that it is not tall enough for most ocassion.
But that small one was a free gift that comes with my old Coolpix995 so I guess it's alright.
Magikhat wrote:
Quote:
I bought a FZ30 about 2 weeks ago

It is comfortable to hold
It takes very good pictures

Still trying to figure out all the options
and such but i def recommend a small tripod if you plan
on taking some long distance or nighttime shots

I was trying to take pictures of the moon last night and
they all came out wobbly because I didnt have a tripod

The digital zoom is cool, but i dont think it is that useful
I still have to do some tests with that.

Overall its a great camera, and my gf who didnt want me to buy it
told me yesterday that she really likes my camera,

Thanks- Daniel
misbehave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 2:04 PM   #45

thanks to everyone who has reponded to my original question, the reading has been like a good novel for me, lots of advice from you kind people who answered my call, another question,

on testing the fz30 in my local camera shop looking through the evf, i noticed a small square in the centre of the focus or inside the lens, that appeared to magnify a section of the object being photographed, if anyone knows what i mean, CAN IT BE TURNED OFF, i only thought about this the other day as it would put me off the camera, if it was on every time you took a picture
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 2:12 PM   #46

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
thanks to everyone who has reponded to my original question, the reading has been like a good novel for me, lots of advice from you kind people who answered my call, another question,

on testing the fz30 in my local camera shop looking through the evf, i noticed a small square in the centre of the focus or inside the lens, that appeared to magnify a section of the object being photographed, if anyone knows what i mean, CAN IT BE TURNED OFF, i only thought about this the other day as it would put me off the camera, if it was on every time you took a picture

i think the majnification yu are talking about is the manual focus assistant.. this should only pop up when you touch the manualfocus ring in manual focus mode. this magnification makes it easier to determine if the shotis in focus. and yes you can turn if off if this is waht you are talking about

i dont notice any other magnification when using my fz30

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 2:34 PM   #47

thanks for your super quick response, another trip to wildings camera shop, to check it out, next time i am off work, i have read your comments very closely throughout this postand can see you obviously love your fz30, one comment you made, earlier was that if i do not learn how to use the 30 and continue with auto and scene modes i should buy a cheaper camera, do you still think i should? and settle for the fz7, or should i gamble in your own opinion and buy what appears to be the best megazoom on the market, so all the camera magazine reveiwers keep saying

do you run all, or some your pictures through noise reduction software?

i know it is nothing to do with this site, but my daughter has emigrated to your beautiful country

thanks, alan
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 3:53 PM   #48

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
thanks for your super quick response, another trip to wildings camera shop, to check it out, next time i am off work, i have read your comments very closely throughout this postand can see you obviously love your fz30, one comment you made, earlier was that if i do not learn how to use the 30 and continue with auto and scene modes i should buy a cheaper camera, do you still think i should? and settle for the fz7, or should i gamble in your own opinion and buy what appears to be the best megazoom on the market, so all the camera magazine reveiwers keep saying

do you run all, or some your pictures through noise reduction software?

i know it is nothing to do with this site, but my daughter has emigrated to your beautiful country

thanks, alan

Allan i have looked into a few shots from the fz7 and i am very impressed with the pic quality. I think the fz7 is a great camera and will give most users outstanding results.

See here
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/panasonicfz7_samples/

Now without a doubt this cam will take great shots in auto modes but it will blow u away if you can begin to learn and experiment with aperture and shutter priority modes. These are easier than you think to use.

Yes i do run about 50% of my images through a noise reduction software and i do wish my cam could run say iso400 with the same noise level as iso200 or less. This disability of not being able to use hi iso does make it more difficult to compose applicable shots. But in repsect to this i only feel the need for hi iso maybe 1 in every 50shots i take so its not very common. Luckily i use other techniques to battle the lack of hi iso (fill flash, stable hand, tripod etc). But the image quality from the fz30 is great. i love it.

If you are worried about the noise see my post here:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=23

Someone actually posted noise shots from fz7 so you can see the difference.

I would say the fz7 is great value for money. Also a great camera to learn with and not so big that you need a camcorder bag to carry it in. If i didnt want to stretch to the 30 the 7 would definately be the next one

And yes, NZ is very beautiful country. I hope she is enjoying it here.

All the best

Ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote