Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2006, 6:23 AM   #1

i have found the fz 30 (£370) for £70 more than the fz 7 (£300) if you have bought the fz30 would you buy it again, after having and using one, would you still buy that camera, i am still concerned re the noize issue but i have just read another magazine review and it has again come out top megazoom camera, i shoot whatever i like and only use auto and scene modes, would the noize be a problem to me at those settings. or notalso i am not interested in using software to clean up images, apart from crop and auto improve

would you still buy this camera????
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2006, 6:41 AM   #2

Woow there is this sudden rush of fz30 buyers

i have owned mine for about 7 months now and yes i would rebuy it again. I am very ahppy with the cam. I have posted various topics with examples of noise and picture quality.

and yes i saw tht mag and was very happy with the "best superzoom" result.

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:51 AM   #3

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
i have found the fz 30 (£370) for £70 more than the fz 7 (£300) if you have bought the fz30 would you buy it again, after having and using one, would you still buy that camera, i am still concerned re the noize issue but i have just read another magazine review and it has again come out top megazoom camera, i shoot whatever i like and only use auto and scene modes, would the noize be a problem to me at those settings. or notalso i am not interested in using software to clean up images, apart from crop and auto improve

would you still buy this camera????
The FZ30 is a great camera, but I returned mine becasue I decided I wanted a DSLR. If I were buying an Ultra Zoom it would still be my first choice. Noise will only be an issue at high ISO and orlow light circumstances. It's got plenty of zoom, which will get you shots that many people using DSLRs will miss while swaping lenses unless they already have a decent zoom mounted. It's wide angle is not great, but a wide convertor does help. It's one heck of a camera if Ultra Zoom is what you want.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 1:44 AM   #4

thank you meanstreak, alan
Old May 1, 2006, 5:23 AM   #5

I did not own the FZ30 but I used the FZ20 for several months. If I am going to buy another megazoom I shall buy the FZ5. Compact and maybe even better than the FZ30.
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 5:32 AM   #6

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
I did not own the FZ30 but I used the FZ20 for several months. If I am going to buy another megazoom I shall buy the FZ5. Compact and maybe even better than the FZ30.

how is the 5 better than the 30?
Old May 1, 2006, 7:51 AM   #7

kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
ruchai wrote:
Quote:

" i shoot whatever i like and only use auto and scene modes, would the noize be a problem to me at those settings. or notalso i am not interested in using software to clean up images, apart from crop and auto improve"

It obviousjad123 want a point and shoot camera. FZ5 can do all he wanted to do with a lighter weight and much more compact size.

I bought FZ20 instead of the much better FZ5 because I thought at that time that I shall use it for birds photography. The small ccd of the FZ seriesare not comparable to those of the DSLR so I gave my FZ20 to my daughter and bought my self a D50. If it was FZ5 I may had kept itas a backup camera..

ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2006, 9:58 AM   #8

ruchai,

why was your camera not suitable for birds, this is one of the reasons i want a megazoom to photograph the birds in my garden, i think you may be right,i am looking at the fz7 also the sony h2, i held the fz30 and i now feel this to be a little on the large side for me,

thanks for your comments, alan
Old May 1, 2006, 2:33 PM   #9

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
kenmck15 wrote:
Quote:
ruchai wrote:
Quote:

" i shoot whatever i like and only use auto and scene modes, would the noize be a problem to me at those settings. or notalso i am not interested in using software to clean up images, apart from crop and auto improve"

It obviousjad123 want a point and shoot camera. FZ5 can do all he wanted to do with a lighter weight and much more compact size.

I bought FZ20 instead of the much better FZ5 because I thought at that time that I shall use it for birds photography. The small ccd of the FZ seriesare not comparable to those of the DSLR so I gave my FZ20 to my daughter and bought my self a D50. If it was FZ5 I may had kept itas a backup camera..

After reading your post a few times i think i am misinterpreting what you are trying to say.

And ofrcourse fz are not comparable. thts one of the reasons why they will carry a much higher price tag. different league of camera.
Old May 1, 2006, 2:35 PM   #10

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
ruchai,

why was your camera not suitable for birds, this is one of the reasons i want a megazoom to photograph the birds in my garden, i think you may be right,i am looking at the fz7 also the sony h2, i held the fz30 and i now feel this to be a little on the large side for me,

thanks for your comments, alan

i thnk all the cams you are looking at will be more than adequate for what you are trying to do. Birds should be no problem with either of these cams. I have to say lately i am impressed with the fz7