Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2006, 9:47 AM   #11
Administrator

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
What do you think of that minor issue with the lens?:?Like I said before, it is the size of a pinhole at the very edge of the lens where it meets the housing and I don't think it can appear on images.
Nah, from your description, it's not going to impact the image quality. For that matter, you could probably take a brillo pad to it and wouldn't see much difference except for flare shooting into bright light sources. A lens can have significant imperfections (scratches, etc.) and still produce good pics.

Something the size of a pinhole at the edge of the lens shouldn't matter at all.

Also, the smaller image sensor compared to 35mm film is using the "sweet spot" of the lens anyway, even at wider apertures (it doesn't need the entire image circle).

For resale purposes, someone might notice it, though. Some users can be pretty "finnicky" about their optics. So, if it's not a big hassle, you might want them to swap it out for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 9:39 PM   #12

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Nah, from your description, it's not going to impact the image quality. For that matter, you could probably take a brillo pad to it and wouldn't see much difference except for flare shooting into bright light sources. A lens can have significant imperfections (scratches, etc.) and still produce good pics.

Something the size of a pinhole at the edge of the lens shouldn't matter at all.

Also, the smaller image sensor compared to 35mm film is using the "sweet spot" of the lens anyway, even at wider apertures (it doesn't need the entire image circle).

For resale purposes, someone might notice it, though. Some users can be pretty "finnicky" about their optics. So, if it's not a big hassle, you might want them to swap it out for you.

I went back today and my salesman recognized me, asked me if something was wrong and I told him there was a problem with the lens. He was busy with a backlog of people so someone else helped me. I showed someone whatwas wrong and I could tell I was going to get the brush off. He said "it's not really bad and won't affect the images." I said " yes that's true, but nevertheless it isdefective, can't you just exchange it." He looked it up in the computer and I thought he would tell me they had none left but instead he asked me it it came as part of a big package. I imagine it's sold both ways, but mine was separate from the camera. He exchanged it without any trouble and I'm sure it will end up being resold. I ended up buying a Hoya Multi-coated UV filter... they only had the cheaper "both sides" coatedHoya on Sunday or a Tiffen. I don't know that it makes much of a difference but I like paying a little more for the top notch Hoya. They get 29 bucks for it.... not the cheapest place to get it, but they don't sell for much less. Because I only paid fifty bucks more to get the lens packaged withthe camera body, it feels likeI almost spent as much on the filter as I did the lens.

So far I'm really pleased with Andorama. They do try and pull some of the usual sales maneuvers, but are not real pushy and seem to treat the customer pretty good. The trick with them is not tobe a pushover.They are not as huge or have as modern store as B&H, but I find them a little friendlier. Some of the guys at B&H have the personality of a wet noodle. I also like the fact that you even have 7 days to return without penalty.Most of the retailers these days don't take things back without a restocking charge.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote