Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2006, 4:28 PM   #1

:|I need to shoot digital photo's into my wedding video's... I want a camera that not have the 2 or 3 sec delay ( point and shoot ). What would you suggest in the SLR type camera's. Thanks.....
negy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2006, 4:48 PM   #2
Administrator

IMO, the best deal going right now in a DSLR is the Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D at http://www.adorama.com

This is an extremely well made camera with lots of controls designed to make it a better photographic tool compared to most models. It's gotclass leading build quality, viewfinder and ergonomics, as well as built in anti-shake. Instead of paying a premium to getstabilized lenses from other manufacturers, it's built into the body on Konica Minolta models. So, every lens (cheap zooms, macro lenses, bright primes, etc.) benefits from the technology.

Adorama has this model for an incredibly low $949 right now, including a 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. This lens alone sells for around $400 at many vendors (it's $369 at B&H). Keep in mind that f/2.8 is 4 times as bright as f/5.6 (which is where you'd be at with some of the kit lenses used with other DSLR models if you zoom in much).

A lens that's f/2.8 or brighter (smaller f/stop numbers) throughout their focal range is a good idea for wedding photography, since lighting is not always very good and many ministers will not allow you to use flash during the ceremony.

This camera body sold for *more* than the Canon EOS-20D when it was introduced. But, because Konica Minolta has exited the camera business, you can get it at a super price while supplies last (and I don't expect supplies to last much longer, as many dealers have already sold out of KM DSLRs). Here is a link to it:

http://www.adorama.com/IMN7DK1.html?...&item_no=1

Sony reached an agreement with Konica Minolta to acquire some of their assets. Part of that arrangement was taking over warranty work. So, you wouldn't need to worry about that part if you experienced a failure.

Sony Support for Konica Minolta Cameras, Lenses and Accessories

Also, Sony is entering the DSLR market (and Konica Minolta will be the OEM manufacturer).

Sony intends to capture more than 25% of theDSLR market within the next few years. They will be introducing DSLR models this summer that can use Minolta lenses. Although nothing "official" has been announced yet, I'd also expect a new line of lenses. So, you'd have an upgrade path if you needed it down the road (and Minolta has already manufactured some 16 Million Lenses in this mount).

Note that I'm biased, since I use a Konica Minolta DSLR (I've got a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5d). I love to take photos in low light, and a KM DSLR is the "only game in town" with ISO 3200, as well as anti-shake with every lens, including bright primes.

Again, make sure to try out models you consider in a store. No one camera is going to be just right for everyone. Chances are, your skill as a photographer is going to be more important than the differences in image quality between most popular DSLR camera models in most conditions. They are all good cameras in the right hands.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 5:33 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
IMO, the best deal going right now in a DSLR is the Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D at http://www.adorama.com

This is an extremely well made camera with lots of controls designed to make it a better photographic tool compared to most models. It's gotclass leading build quality, viewfinder and ergonomics, as well as built in anti-shake. Instead of paying a premium to getstabilized lenses from other manufacturers, it's built into the body on Konica Minolta models. So, every lens (cheap zooms, macro lenses, bright primes, etc.) benefits from the technology.

Adorama has this model for an incredibly low $949 right now, including a 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. This lens alone sells for around $400 at many vendors (it's $369 at B&H). Keep in mind that f/2.8 is 4 times as bright as f/5.6 (which is where you'd be at with some of the kit lenses used with other DSLR models if you zoom in much).

What are the advantages of the 7D over the 5D. I can get a 7D for 849 plus tax which include a 28-100mm lens. It doesn't list the"F" number of the lens but when I magnify the image I think it is F3.5 to 5.6.Do you think it is better to pay 100 more forthe brighter lens atAndorama?

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 7:05 PM   #4

Definitely get the 7D with the KM 28-75 F2.8 that Jim linked to. Much better lens and the best $100 you'll spend.
nooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2006, 8:29 PM   #5
Administrator

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
What are the advantages of the 7D over the 5D.
The 7D has better build quality, ergonomics, viewfinder and control layout. Not everyone cares about those things, and the 5D is smaller and lighter (which is one reason I went with a 5D).

The 5D is plenty good enough for me as far as build quality, ergonomics and control layout (some of the competing models feel like toys in comparison). But, if you're using a camera heavily (as in professional wedding photograpy), you may appreciate the 7D more.

The 7D also has a PC Sync Port if you want to use PC Cord Attached Strobes (but, you can get an adapter to serve the same purpose for the 5D). The 7D also has a larger buffer (more photos in a row before the camera slows down). To me, this wouldn't make much difference (especially since the 5D is actually a bit faster writing to media). To others, it might.

The 7D's LCD is also higher resolution compared to the 5D's. Again, not a big deal to me (as it's only used for playback, and I can see the menu choices just fine on the 5D LCD).

The 5D also has some advantages (for example, the ability to magnify raw files during playback on the camera's LCD). If you shoot raw + jpeg, then it's a non issue with a 7D (and when I shoot raw, I do tend to use raw+jpeg so I've got a ready to use jpeg image, as well as a raw file thatI can convert and tweak later).

The 7D allows you to store some custom settings (3 positions are dedicated to them on the mode dial). The 5D has scene modes in those mode dial positions. There are pros and cons to both approaches.

Personally, I'd rather have the custom settings if given a choice. But, someone new to using a DSLR may appreciate the 5D scene modes more. The 7D also allows you to use manual power settings with the built in flash. The 5D doesn't. The 7D also has an optional vertical battery grip (not available for the 5D).

The 5D probably has a slight advantage from a noise perspective at higher ISO speeds. But, it's not ahuge difference. You begin to get into "splitting hairs" comparing image quality.

The metering is a bit different between the models, too. The 7D tends to lean towards protecting the highlights more compared to the 5D. That means that the 7D images tend to lean towards underexposure more. That's a good thing if you don't mind a little post processing to get the best out of them (or you can simply use Exposure Compensation to capture them a bit brighter if you don't mind blowing some highlights). There are Pros and Cons to both approaches, and you'll need to learn the metering behavior for any new camera you use.

For me, the biggest advantage to the 7D would be the larger viewfinder with better eye relief, since I wear eyeglasses. I compared both models very carefully before deciding that I could live with the 5D viewfinder (and I've used both cameras).

In the end, the smaller and lighter body of the 5D, combined with slightly better performance at higher ISO speeds (at least shooting in JPEG), swayed my decision towards the 5D. I like shooting in low light clubs in my area, and the 5D is less likely to draw attention. That was important to me since cameras are sometimes objected to. The 5D wearing a small prime (for example, a 28mm f/2) is not too intimidaiting compared to a larger camera.

But, if a deal like the one Adorama has now on the 7D was available when I got my 5D, I'd most likely have gone with a 7D instead. $949 including a 28-75mm f/2.8 lens is a steal.

Quote:
I can get a 7D for 849 plus tax which include a 28-100mm lens. It doesn't list the"F" number of the lens but when I magnify the image I think it is F3.5 to 5.6.Do you think it is better to pay 100 more forthe brighter lens atAndorama?
Absolutely spend the extra $100 to get the 28-75mm instead. If you want to shoot in existing light indoors, you will often need an f/2.8 lens, at a minimum. This one is well matched to the camera. You will not find a better deal for a DSLR including a lens like this. The 28-100mm lens would not compare.

When this camera model was first introduced, it was selling for $1,499, and this lens was selling for around $400 discounted.

At $949, this 7D package including the 28-75mm f/2.8 lens is one heck of a bargain. You could probably turn it on Ebay formore than you'll pay for it in the camera kit (but don't, because you'll want it).

I like shooting in existing light, and good quality, fast (a.k.a., bright) lenses are a "must have". Slower "kit" lenses are not going to "hack it' indoors without a flash, unless your subjects are stationary. Even an f/2.8 lens is borderline in many indoor conditions if you can't use a flash. If light is too low for an f/2.8 zoom, you go to a fixed focal length (a.k.a., Prime) lens. I've got a 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8 to fall back on when a zoom won't cut it.

You can forget about trying to use the 28-100mm in many low light conditions. Your shutter speeds would be too slow to prevent motion blur without a flash, even at higher ISO speeds (and higher ISO speeds mean more noise/grain, so you can often get by with lower ISO speeds in good lighting, *if* you have a brighter lens).

I've got a Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8 zoom that I use from time to time (when I don't use an even brighter prime) for existing light shooting. I wouldn't even think about trying to use a zoom that doesn't have f/2.8 or there abouts available indoors without a flash for non-stationary subjects. But, by most accounts, the Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 is a higher quality lens (and at the price Adorama has it in the 7D kit, it's a steal).

Old Apr 30, 2006, 12:33 AM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
But, by most accounts, the Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 is a higher quality lens (and at the price Adorama has it in the 7D kit, it's a steal).

Thanks for you comprhensive reply. I know the 5D would be more than adequate for me. I can probably scrounge one up from a reputable place for around 700 with the basic kit lens.

That 7D at Adorama despite being 250 dollars more is probably worth every penny due to being packaged withthe Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 since if I wanted a lens like that for the 5D, I would come out possibly spending more than 949 anyway.

Based in the dimensions the 7D doesn't look much bigger but I haven't seen the 7D in person. I know the 5D is made from lighter materials and being lighter does score points for the5D.I've only held the 5D connected to a security device at Circuit City. Circuit City wants 799 for the 5D with kit lens at the store. That's way to high and on their web they have the 7D with the 28-100mm lens for 849. Based on Circuit City's prices I think the 7D is a better buy than the 5D. For a 100 bucks more than Circuit City, I agree Adorama has the better deal.

I'm going take a trip to Adorama tomorrow to check out the 7D. I may walk out of there with my wallet a little lighter.

It's still hard to believe I may be buying one of the last of the Minoltas or at least under the Minolta name. A Minolta SRT 101 was my first SLR, mysecond was an XG1.... I still have the second one and someone also gave me an XG7, though I'm not sure how well it works.

Old Apr 30, 2006, 7:16 AM   #7

Meanstreak, another place to check price is Digital Photo. Also, I got the 5D with the 18-70 kit lens. The price difference is not that much and I think the lens is decent. It's not a $500 lens, but many people are quite happy with it.

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/gifts.asp
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2006, 9:25 PM   #8

JimC wrote:
Quote:

Yes that is a great deal. I went down there today, called first but couldn't get through to the store but spoke to someone from the web ordering dept. who said yes we got them. He asked me if I wanted to order it and I informed him that I was coming to the store. He told we have, come down and hung up.

When I got to the store, I told the salesman I wanted the 7D with the 28-75mm f/2.8 lens.He asked why that camera... why not the Canon? I said, "because that's the one I want" and he said "that's a good reason". So he looks it up on the computer and says OK "that will be 899.95..... I started thinking the price had dropped but soon realized he wasn't finished. He meant 899 for the camera and 399 for the lens. I told him that was on the web for 949 and he said "let me check". It was part hilarious, but part annoying, but I figured I would play the game a bit. He finally agreed he could sell it for that but then he checked inventory and he said he had none in the store, but he had 200 in the warehouse. He could have one for the next day. I work in the city, but I didn't tell him that because I was annoyed, instead I let him know that I had driven an hour after being told it was in stock. He said did you speak to someome at the store and I told him no, but the person I spoke to said to come on down and get one. He then checked his computer and said hold on, he might be able to come up withone from downstairs. I don't know what kind of a circus act he was running but I was running out of patience, but I figured I'd let him play his game a little longer. He managed to come up with the camera and the lens, each in their own box. I opened them both up and they were brand new. I put the lens on the camera to check out the weight and ergos of the camera. A little heavy, but manageable, nice to hold despite the cameras size and my small hands. I said I would take it and that's when more fun began, he couldn't figure out how to get he price to change in the computer. He ended up calling a manager and then another to get th computer to take the price. Then they finally got it to take the price and the manager couldn't get a slip to print so I could take it to the front of the store to pay with a code form the computer. It took a little bit of work, but when I was done it was worth it.

I got it home and put it on charge, but haven't really gottten to play with it. I did snap some shots without the memory card and they looked good on the LCD. Even in low light, it has nice bright images. I can't wait to put it through the paces.

I was looking the lens and I did notice a tiny pin prick size shiny spot at the very edge of the glass. Not sure if it an imperfecton in the coating, but I don't think think it is supposed to be there andI couldn't get it off with conventional lens cleaner. I don't think it will affect any shots because it is at the edge of the glass and probably not part of the image. I might bring it back to let them take a look at it. I have seven days in which to do so.I did ask about the exchange policy and he said I have sevendays to return it for a full refund.

Old Apr 30, 2006, 10:34 PM   #9
Administrator

Congrats meanstreak

Yes, a 28-75mm f/2.8 lens is going to be a little larger and heavier than something like the 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 DT kit lens.

But, the 28-75mm f/2.8 is one of the smallest and lightest zooms you'll find with it's focal range and brightness.

That's a tradeoff you make (a brighter lens is going to be larger and heavier). But, itgives you more versatility because it's brighter. It's also a sharper lens compared to some of the less expensive kit lenses. It doesn't startout as wide as some of the other kit lenses (but, it's f/2.8 throughout it's focal range). For the money, it would be very hard to beat (at the price Adorama has it for in the 7D package right now).

Yes, the $899 they wanted to charge you in the storeis about right for the 7D body by itself right this minute from some of the other dealers + around $399 for the 28-75mm f/2.8 (and the body is only priced so low because of KM getting out of the camera business).

J&R has some 7D bodies in now at $899 (body only)

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4005603

They're getting $409.99 for the 28-75mm f/2.8 now:

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4006478

Digital Foto Club does have the 7D bodies for $714.85 now (but, they don't have any of these lenses left in stock from what I can see on their web site).

It looks like B&H has the lens listed for $379.95 now:

Konica Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 at B&H

So, the package deal at Adorama for a 7D body and the 28-75mm f/2.8 for only $949 is a real bargain (and I'm glad they honored the web sale price for you in the store).

Old May 1, 2006, 6:46 AM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Congrats meanstreak

So, the package deal at Adorama for a 7D body and the 28-75mm f/2.8 for only $949 is a real bargain (and I'm glad they honored the web sale price for you in the store).

Yes it is a great deal and I was sure they would honor it. Guess that makes me living proof that they sell them at that price.:-) I did expect some bait and switch... just the nature of the business. Thesalesman in the store did not play the switch game very well. He wasn't good at it all and that whole bit about not having it in stock was pitifull.:? In fact when I got home, I finally received a response to a live chat question that I submitted at 12:30 and they finally got back to be at 5:38 letting me know it was in stock.

What do you think of that minor issue with the lens?:?Like I said before, it is the size of a pinhole at the very edge of the lens where it meets the housing and I don't think it can appear on images. It's not very noticable and I'm not sure if it something like some kind of residue on the surfaceor damage or an imperfection in the coating. I am going to bring it to them tomorrow to take a look at it. Maybe it's a stain and they can get it out. I couldn't with traditional lens cleaner and I didn't want to fuss with it too much. They may try to tell me it is within normal tolerances and not want to exchange it.Should I insist that they swap it out? I did put it on American Express, so I have some leverage.

It's gonna take a while to go through the manual on this camera. There is just so much to it.:? Love all the buttons that allow you to get tothings without going into the menu selection process.