Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2006, 12:26 PM   #1

Hi all

As this is my first post I should first of course say hello, so here I am :-) I'm a student of art & art management at the University of Groningen (the Netherlands) and I'm preparing to make the jump from my old analogue SLR to a digital SLR. In highschool I was an avid photographer but the last few years I haven't taken as many pictures as I'd've liked, the cost of having film developed being the main reason.

I have two main requirements for a digital camera. First I'd like the flexibility of a digital camera - not being stuck to a single type of film roll, so that I can use my camera in different circumstances. Usually I take pictures of landscapes, seascapes, and cityscapes, but I'm also a theatre director and I like taking pictures of actors at work as well, as well as just every day snapshots. On the other hand, I don't want to compromise in quality of pictures that I take, and that is the second main requirement.

My budget allows for one of the three well known basic models, the nikon d50, olympus e500 and the canon 350d. After having spent several hours online the e500 seemed to fit my needs best; it was the best quality camera (both images and ergonomics & design etc) in relation to its cost.

This afternoon I went to some stores to ask advice from salespeople there, who somewhat confused me. They basically wrote off the d50, which was no surprise, but to my unpleasant surprise, they also recommended against the e-500. Some for no particular reason ("I don't know... we just don't like it") others for a viable one, and that is because the sales of the e-500 are somewhat disappointing, so it's unsure whether Olympus will be able to provide any support for it in the next few years.

So which camerea should I get, according to 'them'? A Nikon d70! And in all honesty, it is of course the better camera in many ways, but it's not as 'agile' as the e500, and it's somewhat over budget.

So, to cut a long story short - my apologies for being a little wordy - but it comes down to the question after which this forum is named: what camera should I buy?
Elger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 11:48 PM   #2

Hi Elgar,

I am an (very) amateur photographer and disappointingly, I've often walked into camera shops (as we do...) and shaken my head at the poor level of education the shop assistant had. Sometimes I've even stepped in to correct them as they've told complete garbage to customers that were prepared to spend hundreds of dollars on something that wouldn't do the job the salesmen made out it would do. Believe me, I'm not normally that annoying.

I can't think of any good reason that a salesman would write off a D50, unless they were asked to sell more of another brand. From what I've heard it's a capable performer.

Any of the camera's mentioned would be great. As for the Olympus issue I heard ages ago that they were having troubles yet, they're still bring out new gear every second week so I wouldn't blow off your E500 just yet. Maybe someone else in the Forum has something to say about this issue.

As to which Camera is better for you I'll leave that up to the professionals, however I'm sure they'd all do a great job.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 7:25 AM   #3

Don't let them snow you. The Nikon D50 is an excellent camera.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 7:58 AM   #4

ISTM that an appropriate way to approach your decision between these cameras would be to consider what lenses you are intereested in. If you can put together a wish list of those, you may be able to determine which is the better deal for you in the long run. In a similar vein, if there are other "must have" accessories, like flash support, consider both cost and appropriateness to your needs of those offerings.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 8:13 AM   #5

I happen to own both the Nikon D-50 and the Olympus E-500. I find that I use and like the Nikon D-50 much more. I use the Nikon D-50 80%+ when choosing between the two cameras.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 9:18 AM   #6

Elger wrote:
Quote:
Hi all

As this is my first post I should first of course say hello, so here I am :-) I'm a student of art & art management at the University of Groningen (the Netherlands) and I'm preparing to make the jump from my old analogue SLR to a digital SLR. In highschool I was an avid photographer but the last few years I haven't taken as many pictures as I'd've liked, the cost of having film developed being the main reason.

I have two main requirements for a digital camera. First I'd like the flexibility of a digital camera - not being stuck to a single type of film roll, so that I can use my camera in different circumstances. Usually I take pictures of landscapes, seascapes, and cityscapes, but I'm also a theatre director and I like taking pictures of actors at work as well, as well as just every day snapshots. On the other hand, I don't want to compromise in quality of pictures that I take, and that is the second main requirement.

My budget allows for one of the three well known basic models, the nikon d50, olympus e500 and the canon 350d. After having spent several hours online the e500 seemed to fit my needs best; it was the best quality camera (both images and ergonomics & design etc) in relation to its cost.

This afternoon I went to some stores to ask advice from salespeople there, who somewhat confused me. They basically wrote off the d50, which was no surprise, but to my unpleasant surprise, they also recommended against the e-500. Some for no particular reason ("I don't know... we just don't like it") others for a viable one, and that is because the sales of the e-500 are somewhat disappointing, so it's unsure whether Olympus will be able to provide any support for it in the next few years.

So which camerea should I get, according to 'them'? A Nikon d70! And in all honesty, it is of course the better camera in many ways, but it's not as 'agile' as the e500, and it's somewhat over budget.

So, to cut a long story short - my apologies for being a little wordy - but it comes down to the question after which this forum is named: what camera should I buy?

I don't think any one of those is a bad choice and don't let salesmen sway or bulldose you in or outof something you have in mind. I had a recent experince where I walked in to a NY camera store to take advantage of a sale price on a Minolta Maxxum 7D and the first words out of the salesman's mouth were "Why the 7D, why not a Canon"? My reply was "because that's the one I want". He returned" that's a good reason". When all was said and done, he remarkedthat 7D was a great camera, especially with the particular lens it was packaged with and at one hell of a price. When Iwent back 2 days later to exchange the lens because of a minor blemish, he spotted me andhe thought I was there to return the camera. He was too bust to assist me but after I completed the exchange he again acknowledged that I made a greatchoice in camera. Quite a different tune then "why the 7d?".

For me it is pretty easy dealing with sales people because I was in retail sales for many years and I play the game against them pretty well. Of course in my case, I knew exactly what I wanted and wouldn't have walked out with anything else. If you are in a position like yours where you are relyingon a salesman to steer in the right direction, you are at a tremendous disadvantage simply because in most cases a salesman is going to be influenced by comissions, sales incentives, or outright pressure from management to move a certain inventory. There are exceptions to that and salesman who will give great advice, but the odds are stacked against you.

As for what you should buy, do as much research as your timeframe to purchase allows and make sure you get a look at any of the models you intend to buy to get a feel for size and weight. They will all take decent pictures, but you must be comfortable withwhat you use.

BTW, have you looked at the Pentax or Minolta? If you haven't, I reccomend at least checking them out.I went with the Minolta mainly because it is the only DSLR with Image Stabilization and it is very good in low light with ISO of up to 3200. I'm not sure how much light you have available to you when you are taking pictures of actors at work or if using a flash is possible, but if you are in poor lighting situations, you might want to compare how well the models you are considering perform in low light.Of course, a ggod lens will also affect how well it performs in low light.

The tuff part with Minolta is they willno longer be manufacturing under the Minolta label. They will soon be manufacturering for Sony so future cameras and lenses will wear the Sony emblem. The Minlota maxxum 5D would make an excellent choice, but right now they are tuff to come by since they are no longer being made. The 7D might be more camera than you want but there are there some real good deals on that model and though supplies are also limited, there seem to be more 7Ds around. At the prices that camera used to sell forI can see why, but now that some retailers have dropped the price, the 7D is a homerun.I picked one up for 949.00 andit included a 400.00 lens for 50 dollars more than the 7D "body only" price. More camera than I needed, but I think in the end, I made the right choice and I won't outgrow it. The 5Ds are out there for between 6 and 7 hundred with a basic kit lens. The nice thing about the Minoltas having the image stabiliztion built into the camera is that the feature works with every lens you buy. Other manufacturers that offer IS, only have it in the lens and that makes the cost of lenses more expensive. If that feature doesn't interest you, than the cost of IS lenses doesn't matter since you just buy non-IS lenses.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 8:41 PM   #7

Here is liink to a helpful direct comparison review of some of the cameras that you are considering.

]http://www.popphoto.com/article.asp?section_id=2&article_id=1924[/url]

The Canon Digital Rebel XT is also known as the 350D

I just purchased the Canon yesterday.

Good luck!
motegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 4:58 AM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I happen to own both the Nikon D-50 and the Olympus E-500. I find that I use and like the Nikon D-50 much more. I use the Nikon D-50 80%+ when choosing between the two cameras.

MT
thanks for your comment. what what is it you use your camera for most? and can you tell me what the considerations are when you chose the d-50 over the e-500?
Old May 5, 2006, 4:59 AM   #9

(thanks to all btw who have replied)
Old May 5, 2006, 8:15 AM   #10

I owned Canon (A70) & Olympus (C-340) Point& shoots and recenlty after doing lot of research i got Nikon D50.

All the cameras which you have mentioned are equally good. You can also consider KM5D which is having Anti-shake. Let me also tell me some more things about the above mentioned cameras. E-500 CCD size is smaller than all other camera's you have mentioned it means that the Noise levels at higger ISO settings will be bad.

At the same time as of nowNikon D50's performance at higger ISO setting is the best when compared to all of its competetor models including its big brother Nikon D70. You can check it out.
vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote