Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 3, 2006, 5:14 PM   #1

Hello All,

I have been doing some extensive research on dSLRs in the past month and a half. I originally wanted to get a Canon 20D. However because I want to make sure I have at least 2 really nice lenses and in the future will be getting an under water housing unit, the cost became too much.

So I thought okay how about the Canon Rebel XT. Long story short, I ended up comparing the Canon Rebel XT to the Nikon D70s. Why? Probably out of curiosity. When it comes to specs the two seem to be heavily arguable. Canon has more MP, Nikon has a bigger processor and yada yada yada. As most of us know the main concern is the quality of the picture.

Here is the part I am having trouble on. I almost really want to get the Canon Rebel XT because of brand and similarity to the 20D however when is used this site to compare the pictures in the reviews. The Nikon D70s seems to beat the Canon Rebel XT hands down. The Nikon D70s pictures seem to have more color and depth. The Canon Rebel XT seemed to have less depth, on those white sandy pictures and anything with a bright white, the picture seemed washed out. Is that how the Canon Rebel XT really takes pictures or is that just the way the photographer took them?

On a last note, some other website mentioned that the Nikon 50D is a better dSLR than the D70s or maybe it was the D70. Also I am moving up from my dad's Fuji Film S7000 to a dSLR. Why? Mainly because I want/need the quick responsiveness for those underwater shots.

To those reviewing and replying, THANK YOU for your help and opinions.

c.diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2006, 5:29 PM   #2

I have the Canon 350D/XT and love it, the D70 is a way bigger camera than the canon XT, but i don't know it's a matter of prefrence, but in the reviews i have read the Xt beats it easy.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 7:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I just went to my local camera store today. It looks like I will be going with the D70s. Your totally right about the size. On my personal preference I can hardly get a good grip on the XT (it's to small) the gripon the D70s is perfect, though it is a little heavier. Also I talked to two of the "camera pros" if you will and they where both Nikon fan's. None the less they mentioned something about the color processing is different, that the Nikon gives a little more color. I mentioned to them the pictures I saw on this site and they mentioned that it could be a combination of the photographer and the camera and that it can also be very easy to blow out a picture on a digital camera.

Well I hope this thread helps others.

-Peace out! :|
c.diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2006, 10:35 PM   #4

I have a Rebel XT and love it, but for anyone with larger hands you definitely need to try it out before buying it as the Rebel XT is an extremely small DSLR.
Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote