Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1

I know you are asked this question a million times but what camera would you buy?? I want a camera that I can go back and forth from a lot of zoom to macro quickly. I decided not to with a SLR because of all the len changing.I see the Oympus, Panasonic and Canon but nothing on the Nikon 8800. What camera do you favor? Is there a len for the SLR digital that will do macro and Zoom? Thanks for answering the same question over and over.
cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 12:01 PM   #2
rey

I would suggest you start with Steve' Best List:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

Also, use B&H for price checking to see which ones fit your budget:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 1:01 PM   #3

This has macro tests for the Nikon 8800: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp8800/page16.asp I'm not a big fan of the 8800 because of the slow lens at full zoom and the control setup.

The Canon S2/S3 probably has the best macro of the superzooms, but the ability to focus on something all the way down to touching the lens is probably impractical. All of the superzooms are pretty good at macro. Anything dpreview tests has a page like the one for the 8800. I like that they test the macro at different focal lengths. It can be a lot more practical to shoot with some zoom – both for distortion and lighting.

For the cameras they haven't tested yet you can probably project from an earlier model with the same zoom, lens and sensor size. The Canon S3 from the S2, Sony H2 from the H1, Panasonic FZ7 from the FZ5 etc.

Steve's link to Shopping is probably your best price search. Trusted stores with thousands of good customer reviews are safe bets. http://www50.shopping.com/xPP-Digita...kin_id-3053120

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 1:24 PM   #4
E.T

cams wrote:
Quote:
I know you are asked this question a million times but what camera would you buy?
Now that would depend much on what kind photography you have in your mind.
Is it general photography? Architecture? Landscapes? Or wild animals/birds?
Also do you need low light capability? Do you take action shots? (especially if outside good daylight)

Quote:
I want a camera that I can go back and forth from a lot of zoom to macro quickly.
In that case forget button zooms like that Nikon. Also most "super"zooms go into that category.

slipe wrote:
Quote:
The Canon S2/S3 probably has the best macro of the superzooms, but the ability to focus on something all the way down to touching the lens is probably impractical.
Very impractical, practically useless PR BS.
Now how many of you happens to photograph transparent targets? Because target being transparent is only way for lightning target if lens is very close.
Also wide angle macros cause heavy distortion, corner softness and CA in addition to causing serious problems in lightning target.
And tele macro makes it easier to blur away all that rubbish from background.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2006, 1:59 PM   #5

If you dont plan to do any low light work, take a look at the Minolta Z3, Z5 or Z6.
If they meet your needs, you may be able to pick up a bargin given minolta have pulled out of the market.
toy_car_uk is offline   Reply With Quote