Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 4, 2006, 11:44 PM   #1

Hey guys, I'm trying to decide between the Konica Minolta 5D and the Nikon D50. I know that Sony will support KM lenses but Nikon still has a larger variety to choose from. One big plus about the 5D is that it has image stabilization built into the body.

I'm a college student with alot of knowledge in photography. I currently use a Panasonic FZ15 (the closest thing to a SLR in the prosumer field) so I'm used to having IS. I plan on replacing the Panasonic as I'm feeling it's limits (especially with indoor/low-light shooting).

I work for my school's paper and occasionally shoot sports games. The Panasonic's AF system was too slow for my tastes, even at 1-point AF mode. I do not plan on continuing fast-motion shooting after I graduate in a year, so having a fast AF system isn't the most important factor when I think long-term.

The best part is that the KM is smaller and lighter! But I'm still torn...because Nikon has a larger userbase. If KM's camera is better, then why are so many people using the D50?
Comp625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2006, 12:03 AM   #2

I'm not a pro photographer but being the pragmatist that I am, I'd go for a camera which has the better range of lenses. The body is only half the equation and if you do a lot of photography with different lenses, the impact of the body is lesser.

Of course there are other points you should consider such as burst speed, size, etc.

My 2 cents...
woof72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 12:17 AM   #3

I'm doing a little bit of research and apparently, some users report the KM as having trouble with focusing inaccurately (especially when paired up with 3rd party lens). Is this true?
Old May 5, 2006, 1:01 AM   #4

Because I own both the Nikon D-50 and the KM 5D, I have a direct comparison. I have found foucusing with third party lenses to be hit and miss with the 5D, but not the D-50.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2006, 12:44 AM   #5

Well, I only plan on having 1 long telephoto lens (say...28-300 as I'm used to my current Panasonic's 12x 432mm equivalent lens), the kit lens (18-70) and maybe a slightly longer lens too. So the hit-or-miss thing for the 5D isn't that big of a deal for me as long as I can find the right one for each criteria.

However, the Nikon D50 apparently has a more accurate focusing system compared to the 5D. Hmmm...is there any way to get around this inaccurate system?
Old May 7, 2006, 3:23 AM   #6

Comp-

After 3 months with the KM 5D, I have not found a good work around for third party lenses on the KM 5D. The Minolta lenses work fine, but it really is inconsistent with the Tamron and Sigma lenses. Perhaps that foretells problems as well with the new Sony lenses??

MT
Old May 7, 2006, 10:30 PM   #7

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Comp-

After 3 months with the KM 5D, I have not found a good work around for third party lenses on the KM 5D. The Minolta lenses work fine, but it really is inconsistent with the Tamron and Sigma lenses. Perhaps that foretells problems as well with the new Sony lenses??

MT
I was under the impression that KM would be the OEM for Sony. This makes medoubt that there will be an immediatemajor design change in the KM lenses branded as Sony that would cause focusing issues with the KM models.

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 12:50 AM   #8
Administrator

Sony actually owns about 10% of Tamron. ;-)

Also, some of the newer Konica Minolta lenses are made by Tamron, including the 28-75mm f/2.8 that most KM owners love.

I only have two third party lenses for my 5D, and they are both Tamrons (one is a 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 and the other is a 35-105mm f/2.8 ). I used the 35-105mm f/2.8 the last 4 times I was out with my 5D. After using it in a low light club and getting good focus with it at wide open apertures, I decided that I'd underestimated the lens and started using it more. After taking on a fishing trip and getting good results with it, I left it on the camera.

Yep.. some lenses can have problems. Sigma is known for more than any of the third party manufacturers with Minolta compatibility. But, that's because they don't license the lens mount technology. So, when they reverse engineer it, they sometimes mess it up and miss reporting data that newer cameras need for determing how far to turn the focus motor for AF purposes.

Also, you see QC problems with lenses often. So, it's not always a compatibility issue either (misaligned lens elements, etc. are relatively common anymore, and with used lenses, you never know how much they've been banged around). Ditto for camera body AF calibration. It happens (more often than most people realize) A trip back to the manufacturer can fix that.

As for Sony's plans, multiple sources have indicated that product announcements should hit around June 6th. So, I'd expect to see a new lens lineup then, too (and I suspect some of the existing lenses will just be rebranded as Sony).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 9:26 AM   #9
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
So, I'd expect to see a new lens lineup then, too (and I suspect some of the existing lenses will just be rebranded as Sony).
Sony updated the Sony Alpha "teaser" presentations on some of their web sites last night.

One of the updates was this message on new lenses:

"We believe an SLR camera should be part of a larger culture, encompassing the entire product line of lenses and accessories, and not just the camera body itself. To successfully create this culture, it's not enough to offer a body and two or three lens options, which is why, starting this summer, we will launch more than 20 new lens models over the course of a year. Combined with the over 16 million compatible lenses that have already been sold to date, we are bringing our entire camera culture toward an ever-expanding future for our customers."

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 1:57 PM   #10

In all fairness, I must say that my Tamron 28-300mm XR Dii lens works very well indeed on my Nikon D-50, while the same lens (of course in the KM mount) does not consistently focus well on my KM 5d.

MT