Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2006, 12:51 PM   #1

Hi, My wife and I have a new baby on the way, so it's time to upgrade to a new digital camera (from the Canon S230). We will mostly use the camera to take pictures of the baby in all types of light situations. But I also would like to use it outdoors for occasional pictures of birds or city landscapes (only occasionally). N.B. I am a complete amateur when it comes to photography. That said, here are the other features I would like:

- At this point, I think I'd prefer a point and shoot;
- low shutter lag so we don't miss cute faces;
- excellent zoom (10x or greater preferred, but not mandatory);
- easy to learn and use- not gigantic (but it does not have to be a supercompact);
- image stabilzation;
- must have a viewfinder and preferably a traditonal one, but digital will do;
- Does not need the highest MP count; and
- forgiving of a lousy photographer like myself.

I also have a regular SLR. It is a Pentax ZX-50, with a 35-80 lens. In addition I have an old lens for a manual (I think) Pentax. It is a Promax One Touch Macro 80-200mm f4.5. Would it be possible to use any of those lenses with a Pentax dslr? I would prefer to stay away from a DSLR given my severe lack of skills, but if I already have some lenses, then that could change the equation.

Finally, I would like to spend no more than $600. Many thanks for any guidance!
vincef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2006, 10:29 PM   #2

Upon some thought, I am not completely averse to a dSLR as long as it is easy to use in auto mode.
Old May 8, 2006, 10:07 AM   #3

Ask about the lenes in the Pentax digital SLR forum. Likely the answer will be that some will work and some won't.

Whatever camera you pick, get it well in advance of the birth of your child. It does take time to learn a new camera (even in auto mode). You will have enough things to do when the child arrives without spending time reading a camera manual.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 11:40 AM   #4

BillDrew wrote:
Quote:
Ask about the lenes in the Pentax digital SLR forum. Likely the answer will be that some will work and some won't.

Whatever camera you pick, get it well in advance of the birth of your child. It does take time to learn a new camera (even in auto mode). You will have enough things to do when the child arrives without spending time reading a camera manual.

Thanks, I did post ina Pentax forum and the answers were much as you predicted. I guess my real decision now is to dSLR or not to dSLR. I am leaning toward getting one, as I understand it will likely perform better in low light situations that most p&s cams, is this correct?

Again, suggestions are most appreciated.