Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2006, 7:54 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Very nicely put.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 9:55 AM   #12

I played around with a S2 IS and a Sony H2 last night at Target...again. The S2 seemed quicker with focus but shot to shot times with the flash averaged about six seconds. I then picked up a Rebel XT. Wow. Instantaneous response. This would be very handy for trying capture the kids. Especially since the 4.5 year old will be playing T-Ball later in the summer and we'll be going to many parks.At this very minute I am thinking that if I can afford it, a dSLR is the way to go. This thought is subject to change by another trip to the camera store or a talk with my wife.
dandy35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 10:02 AM   #13

While I don't disagree with your post, consider this, something I posted on another forum just days ago:

Here was the quote:

Quote: Originally Posted by Why would you bother with a DSLR if you don't plan to post-process? Sure, you can get great shots out of the box, but then the camera is making the decisions for you and doing so blindly. Almost every photo is unique and what applies to one does not necessarily apply to another. Might as well stick with a P&S.

If you mix it up, and use the camera's automatic modes from time to time there's nothing wrong with that. Or like to shoot RAW+JPEG to have the advantages of both, that's also different.

That's my opinion, anyway.

Here was my response:

I don't plan on shooting RAW. The reasons I moved up were:

Instant "on".
Low light performance via ISO or lens choice.
Shutter lag.
Future lens options.
Burst 3 frames per second.
Nearly instant auto focus.
Overall speed of the camera.

Those were enough reasons for me and ended my frustration with a great P&S the G6.

I do shoot primarily in AV so I'm not totally using it as a P&S in Auto, and have never used "scene" modes.

Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 12:37 PM   #14

Bosman wrote:
Quote:

I don't plan on shooting RAW. The reasons I moved up were:

Instant "on".
Low light performance via ISO or lens choice.
Shutter lag.
Future lens options.
Burst 3 frames per second.
Nearly instant auto focus.
Overall speed of the camera.

Those were enough reasons for me and ended my frustration with a great P&S the G6.

I do shoot primarily in AV so I'm not totally using it as a P&S in Auto, and have never used "scene" modes.
I agree with your comments and logic for going with an DSLR. I would like to add that whether or not someone post processes should not be the deciding factor in getting a point and shoot verses a DSLR. In fact there are plenty of people with ultrazooms who also post process images.

I do post process, but not every image. In fact, I don't see how anyone can have the time to process every image unless they have a lot of free time or they earn a living at it. The camera and post processing are both useful tools in getting the job done. Sometimes the camera and the shooter get it right and there is little or no need to process the raw image. Sometimes the camera processed image requires just a little tweaking. There should be no fear in ruining an already processed image as long as save the original.

My camera is set to RAW and JPG so I can be selective about what and when I process. Whether you want a point and shoot, or a DSLR, whether you want to post process or not depends on what your expectations and requirements are.
Quote:
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 1:11 PM   #15

Here's another factor that is complicating the decision - I just read about an Olympus E-330 with a two lens kit (Olympus Zuiko 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 EZ Digital Zoom LensOlympus Zuiko 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 Digital Zoom Lens) for $420.00This is close to the price of S3 IS.If this store and deal is legit it could be a big factor in my decision making process.Original threadhttp://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=18391526Ebay Storehttp://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-Evolt-E-300-Digital-Camera-2-Lens-Kit-E300_W0QQitemZ7618789468QQcategoryZ43457QQtcZphoto QQcmdZViewItemhttp://search.stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera_e-300_W0QQfciZ5QQfclZ4QQfsnZCametaQ20CameraQQfsooZ2Q QfsopZ3QQfsubZ4QQftsZ2QQsaselZ27280321QQsatitleZeQ 2d300QQsofpZ0
Old May 12, 2006, 1:34 PM   #16

are you sure it is not an e300 as opposed to the e330 ?

alan
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 1:39 PM   #17

dandy35 wrote:
Quote:
Here's another factor that is complicating the decision - I just read about an Olympus E-330 with a two lens kit (Olympus Zuiko 14-45mm f3.5-5.6 EZ Digital Zoom LensOlympus Zuiko 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 Digital Zoom Lens) for $420.00This is close to the price of S3 IS.If this store and deal is legit it could be a big factor in my decision making process.

I wasn't able to access that link so I can't see what you are referring to. In any event good luck trying to get it at that price.... You can't even get the camera by itself for anywhere near that price.
Old May 12, 2006, 1:43 PM   #18

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
are you sure it is not an e300 as opposed to the e330 ?

alan

That's too low even for the E-300. Even the bait and switch places in NY don't quote that low with two lenses.
Old May 12, 2006, 1:55 PM   #19

johng,

i read with interest what you said re:- the sports car, i do admit i probably will never learn how to use a dslr properly and i cant see myself sitting in front of a computer processing pictures, i think i will probably stick with my old banger (765uz) and wait to see what happens with the next generation of sleek sports cars (12x zoom) brings next year, the olympus765 uz has enough functions, you never know i might even surprise my self and buy one of the cameras for dummies books and learn the art of photography, as believe it or not i do not have any friends who are photographers, by then the olympus e500 2 lens kit will probably be retailing at £400 by then (current price of the e300 u.k.) of which would competeprice wise with the panasonic fz30

i do appreciate you reply as it just about sums up my lazy attitude towards photography, it has also saved me approx £550

many thanks, alan (jad)
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 2:02 PM   #20

Let's try that again.

It's an eBay store called Cameta Camera

http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-CameraHere's]http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera

Here's a E-500 with a two lens kit and a 512 card for $559.95
For the record this was a Buy it Now price but it's taken me so long to struggle with this post that there have been bids. Anyone else have probelms posting links to this forum on a Mac with Safari or Firefox?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Olympus-Evolt-E-...QQcmdZViewItem

Search for this product ID in case the link does not work: 7617170075