Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 8, 2006, 5:19 PM   #1

I sort of decided to go for de canon s3 as my new digital camera. Is this a good choice?

My considerations:

my profile
  • I take pictures of baby, children playing, family shots, people I meet on a trip, landscapes, statues, buildings, wildlife, so I need an 'everymans friend'[/*]
  • I don't want to carry bulk[/*]
  • I like to travel, but because of a baby amlimited in opportunities[/*]
  • taking pictures has to be simple and quick; I take snapshots, nothing serious[/*]
  • I prefer a camera that eats SD, because I have them allready in stock. So no Sony, fuji or olympus
    [/*]
I considered:
  • s3 (swivel lcd, AA batteries)
    [/*]
  • panasonic FZ7 (noise story; no AA batteries; no swivel lcd)
    [/*]
  • panasonic fz30 (to big and heavy; noise story; no AA batteries)[/*]
  • dslr (to0 big and heavy; don't want to change objectives; too complicated for my wife)[/*]
  • panasonic TZ1
    [/*]
So, I choose the S3 because I think it's a good allrounder, not too big and heavy, with a nice adjustable lcd, AA batteries and good power management.

I strongly considered the FZ7, because the underdog position of Panasonic compared to Canon (I like to buy 'something else'), the beatiful pictures in good light conditions, the nice small and light construction. I don't go for it, because I'm not convinced of the support in my country, because of the expensive and non flexibel battery, the fixed lcd and hesitations because of the noise story.

I briefly considered the FZ30, but think it's too big for me, and some things of the fz7 also.

Considered for one day a DSLR (D50), but I don't want that anymore with changing lenses etc. What use is a perfect camera if I leave it at home, because it's too much of a hassle?

And I'm still considering the TZ1, because of the perfect size, but I think the canon would be a better choice (lcd, batteries)

I would wish for a TZ1 with less noise and a 24 - 240 or a 27 - 270 zoom (2.8) with a posibility of 1600 iso (I prefer noise over no picture or a flash picture of a campfire scene, a turnable lcd and normal AA bateries! But he, they don't make it.

So, my question, is the S3 a good choice taking my remarks in consideration?

Jos
josephusjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2006, 7:00 AM   #2

If you want AA batteries, then the S3 IS is the perfect choice The S3 is really in a class of it's own with the swivel screen 12x zoom, OIS, it's packed with features and is a fantastic camera to use, I personally hate AA's, but if that's what you're in to, then there isn't a better camera for you
RightyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 7:53 AM   #3

The Sony H cameras also use AA batteries and compete with Canon mentioned.
asburydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 2:00 PM   #4

Let's be honest, please. The Canon S-3 just does not have sufficient new features to justify the large increase in price. Tha Canon S-2 also uses 4 AA batteries and it is a real bargain right now with the introduction of the S-3. The Sony H-1 is also an excellent ultra zoom, allbeit, somewhat physically larger in size than the canon S-2.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 4:06 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies.

Sony is not an option for me, unless the difference is huge. I have a lot of SD memory and I don't want to invest in memory for the Sony (nor fuji, nor olympus).

In my country the pricedifference between the [email protected] and S3 is about 50 euro's. I don't think thst is much for a slightly bigger LCD and life histogram and the extra pixels. I wouldn't sell my S2 if I had one, but to buy a new one, I prefer the last model.

But today I saw the TZ1 of panasonic. Oeff, I certainly like such a small toy. I wait till there are some more reviews (saw only one with a high score), before I decide. It will be the S3 or the TZ1 if I prefer small at the end (and I accept the battery and lcd)

Thanks,

Jos
Old May 9, 2006, 4:18 PM   #6

Jos-

I very good friend of mine owns the Panasonic TZ-1 and likes it a great deal. I will admit that he has taken some really great photos with the TZ-1. You may have to run some images through Neat Image or Noise Ninja if you use the higher ISO settings, but it looks to be a really fun camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 9:53 AM   #7

Thanks MT, experiences from the real world are allways beter than lab tests and professional reviews. The reviews are important, but so much influenced by that what the reviewer think is important. Like the noise discussion. 1600 iso is unusable, but if I am at a campfire and have the choices of using the flash or have a picture with a lot of noise, I will choose the noise with pleasure! So I agree with Steve in this issue: better noise than no picture.

I like kayakking a lot and I have the same thing going on as with buying a kayak. Will it be plastic or glass. Plastic is basic, sturdy and conveniant, but you can never change something on your boat. Glass is more beautifull, more flexibel and more vulnerable (and there is more choice).

The TZ1 is a plastic boat and the S3 a glass one. If I buy the TZ1, that's it for me, unless I buy another camera. The only thing that I can improve is the flash, with a slave flash. If I buy the S3, I can decide to use a wideangle conversion lens and have some more wide angle. And use a protection filter on the lens for protection. And my hands fit better on the S3, but the hands of my wife prefer the TZ1.

Decisions, decisions, never easy for us. But eventially we will decide and wich camera it will be, we will enjoy it a lot. It's not so very much important for us, we just take snapshots of our baby, vacations and our family outings. But the thing is, I like the process of the finding of the best choice so much. I don't have the opportunity so often to buy a new camera. I might well just enjoy it!

Jos
Old May 10, 2006, 4:49 PM   #8

I, too, am undecided on a few zoom camera's. I started off consideringa few Kodak models but the more I researched, the more I was drawn to the Canon S3; Panasonic FZ7 & TZ1. The Kodak model that is most appealing is not out yet, the Z612. I decided to look at the new Sony H2 but am not crazy about changing memory.

I presentlyown a small 5M Casio that serves me well. Besides typical camera needs, I am a backpacker and was drawn to a small camera. I now added canoeing to my outdoor activities and can justify toting a larger model camera. My main requirement now isa zoom lens to capture fowland other wildlife that my present 3X zoom cannot capture. Of course with reseach comes confusion. The Panasonic noise fear is almost cronic yet very few owners complain about it. Confusing....

Given my affliction for lightweight gear, I know I will be drawn to the TZ1. A local Circuit City actually has all four models and plan on visiting them tomorrow.

I know this wasn't helpful but perhaps others will pitch in. I will also let you know what camera I decide to purchase. - John

jpmac55 is offline   Reply With Quote