Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2006, 10:09 PM   #11

Thankyou Gipper51

To be honest, I have not considered the KM5D. It is not so much that I am opposed to it, as I just havnt seen it. One store here actually asked me had I considered it, but I dismissed it immedialtly (perhaps unfairly) as I had not seen it elsewere and did not want to further confuse myself.

The Anti shake sure sounds great. I also really appreciate your views regarding my lens questions. On my salary, ifthe only real factor between the Nikkor 18-200mmand the Tamron 18-200mm is the actual VR system, I can save myself a lot and learn to live without it.

I shall take a trip to the store which has the KM5D and take a serious look at it prior to making my final step.

My obvious concern is that as a novice, I need to ensure the Camera I purchase is as easy to use and to learn as possible. What I worry about here is that the D50 I feel has probably been aimed at people such as I that are considering the jump from compact, were the KM5D may not be aiming so much for that target group. (I dont know that, its just a thought)

Thanks again for your pointers, much appreciated everyone for the help. I realise similar questions have been raised regarding the same basic entry level DSLRs many times, which is why Iasked more specific questions about them rather tahn simply which one is best.

Thanks everyone

Stephen
mickellay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 10:15 PM   #12
Administrator

I'm using a KM 5D right now, and it's a nice little camera.

If you like low light shooting, the anti-shake does make a difference when shutter speeds get slow (and it works with any lens, including cheaper zooms, bright primes, etc.).

It's also got ISO speeds up to ISO 3200. The entry level models from Nikon and Canon only go through ISO 1600. You don't want to use ISO 3200 unless you have to. But, I find it very useful for shooting in low light relatively often.

Some of the restaurants and clubs with live music in my area are lit only by a few candles scattered around on tables, and the musicians are normally in shadows. So, I need ISO 3200, a bright prime, and anti-shake to get any keepers.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 5:52 AM   #13

I had a look at the KM5D this afternoon. There is only the one available in my area and it is a display model. the sales person did offer quite a good deal came with I think a KM 18-125mm lens and another Tokina lens which was really only a bonus. Not sure what it was but know it was somewere inside the range of the KM lens. 512 pro CF card Lowepro bag and a three year warantee. So it was very competitive at AU$1400.

Im just not sure about it though. The salesnman doing his absoloute best to promote it. Certainly, it is arround my upper price limit, but I just worry a little that it may not be as straight forward to operate for me a beginer. I feel the Nikon may actually have been aimed at people in my situation wanting to make the hop to DSLR from compact digital.

The KM is a camera that frankly I had not even considered. So I guess now I have another to make a decision on. Any feedback here on which would be better for absoloute novice will be appreciated.

I have noticed that the Canon actually has more comprehensive software included with the Camera package. I am familiar with Zoombrowser and like many of the features. i have not had any experience with the DPP software, but imagine it would be along similar quality.

In comparison to Canon, what is the software on the Nikon and KM like??I realise that Nikon provide basic software and then it is optional to purchase their software for working with RAW. Is it worth purchasing or are there better alternatives??

Thankyou everyone for the valuable information so far.

Stephen

mickellay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 6:31 AM   #14
Administrator

Stephen:

I've never even loaded the software that comes with the KM 5D. It's still in the box.

But, I never loaded the software that shipped with the last Nikon I owned either (ditto for most other cameras). :-)

You can use a lot of different tools to viewing and editing your images.

Google's Picasa is a popular for that purpose (it's free). It also supports raw files from the 5D.

Another good free browser (that also supports raw files from the 5D) is the Faststone Image Viewer

To get the most out of the camera, shoot in raw. Adobe Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2 or Adobe Photoshop Elements 4 has the best algorithms for highlight retention/recovery (IMO opinion anyway).

But, some of the third party tools aren't too bad.

If you're running Windows, try the free Raw Shooters Essentials, too.

If you're using the GIMP, the UFRAW plugin (based on David Coffin's dcraw.c ) also works.

Eric Hyman's Bibble Lite and Bibble Pro products are also worth looking into (available for Mac, Windows and Linux).

There are more products, too. Heck, for some things, I use a simple and free editor called Irfanview often.

As for easy to use, there are scene modes on the mode dial designed to help out. I've never tried them. There is also a full auto mode, and you'll find the same thing on most other DSLR models, too.

I'd give the same advise if you go with Nikon. Try out some of the other products around. You don't have to use the one the manufacturer provides.

Old May 11, 2006, 6:35 AM   #15

Stephen-

The software included with any camera today is minimal, when compared to what was received just 5 years ago. So, IMHO,I would not base a critical camera decision on what software was included.

I am attaching to this post a sample of the Tamron 18-200mm lens at wide angle. It is a good lens and vary capable of capturing great detail.

Either the KM 5D or the Nikon D-50 are excellent choices. However, in all fairness, I have to tell you that my KM 5D will not focus reliably with the Tamron lenses. I could well be a calibration issue with my 5D, but the Tamrons will work flawlessly with my D-50.
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 6:36 AM   #16

Here is a photo with the D-50 and the Tamron 18-200 at near full zoom/

MT
Attached Images

Old May 11, 2006, 6:45 AM   #17
Administrator

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Either the KM 5D or the Nikon D-50 are excellent choices. However, in all fairness, I have to tell you that my KM 5D will not focus reliably with the Tamron lenses. I could well be a calibration issue with my 5D, but the Tamrons will work flawlessly with my D-50.

MT:

Is the 28-300mm the only Tamron you have for the KM? I do see rather mixed reports on these newer lenses with large focal range from wide to long, and even Nikon users don't rate these lenses rate these lenses highly, including both the 18-200mm and 28-300mm (many owners think they're a bit soft on their long end).

But, I've heard good comments on color and contrast, and some owners seem to think they're better than the kit lenses (which wouldn't go that long anyway).

Stephen:

What you may want to do is see if you can use the models in the store and take some photos using the lenses you consider.. That way, you can see if the store has a good copy of them. Do the same thing with both the KM and the Nikon if they have some store demos.See if they'll help you out in that area and let you review the photos on their PC. If they have demo models, I don't see why they wouldn't work with you.

Old May 11, 2006, 7:01 AM   #18

JimC-

I have two third party lenses that I use with my KM 5D. A Tokina 24-200mm and a Tamron 28-300mm. My KM 5D does a better job with the Tokina, but still fails occassionally to focus properly. With the Tamron 28-300mm the focus results much more variable. My KM 5D focuses well with Minolta brand lenses.

MT
Old May 11, 2006, 7:09 AM   #19
Administrator

Remind me not to buy one, or make sure I can return it if it doesn't work OK. ;-)

rduveseems impressed with it on a KM 5D. That seems to be typical (some like it, some don't). That does imply a QC problem with a lens versus camera when reports are mixed

It is rated as poor quality by the user opinion surveys at http://www.photozone.de (and that includes Nikon and Canon users).

Old May 11, 2006, 7:33 AM   #20
Administrator

I've got two Tamrons that seem to work OK (although the sharpness doesn't compare to my better lenses).My Tamron 20-40mm will actually lock focus in very low light (where you'd normally need a bright prime). But, reports on this one are also mixed (my copy is pretty good).

belibelihas a Tamron 200-500mm he's using on a 7D and he seems to like it (but it's a higher quality lens compared to the ones we're discussing). See some photos from it in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90