Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 9, 2006, 7:35 PM   #1

I have listed some general questions in relation to the Nikon D50 , D70s Canon 350D and the Pentax 1stDL. i have already made some decisions in relation to matters concerning these, but still need some help as I am a beginer. Any assistance sure will be appreciated.

Which of these has the least shutter lag when on auto settings?? (I take most photos of my 4 children, shutter lag on my compact makes life difficult)

Is one better than the other, for the straight out of the box image quality performance?? (to use as point and shoot)

With the D50 or D70s is the Tamron 18-200mm a better alternative than the Nikon kit lens?? I understand it may not be for a proffesional shooter, but I am far from that.

Many have suggested the Canon kit lens is poor, any suggestions on an alternative. Is the Tamron 18-200 significantly better than the kit?? Any other suggestions??
Is the customer service / support better on a particular DSLR?

I noticed the Canon is made in Japan, the others are not. Historicaly, with general electronic goods made in Japan has been an indication of build quality and reliability. With the cameras is this the case??

A feature on the D50 which I love but which is unlikely to be significant to many, is the small picture feature, letting you make a duplicate photo at resolution suitable for email. Do the Pentax or Canon do similar and just is not advertise it ?? ( I know that the reslolution is easily reduced on the PC, but for the Camera to do it would sure be a time saver. I email photos to relatives a lot.)

If anyone there actually owned or has used all or some of these DSLR , I would really appreciate your coment. I know I have asked a lot of questions. I am really keen, and were I am living, I have restrictions on info I can obtain locally. I have spent many hours reading web info, but am confusing myself with lots of things that I really dont understand at this point.

Presently, I like the D50 for some features that are really minor in the big picture, I have owned a Penatx SLR in the past and loved it although it was used in full auto mode only( I have not retained any Pentax lens) my point and shoot digital compact was Canon S50 loved the quality, but had some issues shutter lag and a hideous red eye problem which is one of the reasons for a move to DSLR. So, this is why I want to select one of these three to progress to.
Any help greatly apprecaited.

mickellay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2006, 7:20 AM   #2

Stephen-

As an Instructor for our state university in Digital Photography, I actually own almost all of the cameras in question. The exception is that I own the Pentax DS instead of the DL and I also own an Olympus E-300 and E-500.

With regard to shutter lag, all of the cameras are just about the same. DSLR cameras will suprise you with their rapid release. The Tamron 18-200 XR Dii lens is an excellent choice. No, it is not a "professional" lens but it is a good deal better than the Canon, Pentax, or Nikonkit lens. Customer Service is about the same on all of the cameras, with Nikon being a shade better. To my knowledge, and I am not absolutely positive, I believe that Nikon is the only camera that has the dual image feature. The place of manufacture is really not significant, they must all meet the quality control standards.

Because I shoot a lot of low light level shots the noise signature is very important to me. It is there where the D-50 does very well indeed. I personally do not like the grip or the viewfinder on the Canon 350D/XT, the gripis very pinched and not at all ample. The Viewfinder on the Canon XT and the Pentax DL is not a penta prisimbut a place where they saved money and reduced quality. The viewfinders on the D-50 and the Pentax DS are remarkably better.

Add all of the features together and it is no mystery that I personally use the Nikon D-50 the majority of the time, rather than the XT or the DS/DL

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 7:23 PM   #3

Mt Climber,

I've read some of your replies in other threads and you have always maintained that the Tamron 18-200 lens is better than the Nikon kit lens (18-55mm AF-S DX f/3.5-5.6) -- I'm talking about the D50 here.

Would the Tamron be better than the combination I have in mind: the 18-55mm kit lens plus the 55-200mm?

I guess with the Tamron, you need not change the lens as often but will the picture quality hold up to the combo I've just mentioned? What's the picture quality like at 18mm compared with the Nikkor 18-55?

Like mickellay, I have young children so most of my pics involve them but I also like nature and architecture photography. What sort of lens would you recommend for the D50?

Is it true that the D50 does not have the battery grip available as an option?
woof72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 7:31 PM   #4

I own the Nikkor 55-200mm lens. Yes, it is a decent lens but IMHO the Tamron XR Dii 18-200mm lens is measurably better and I don't have to keep changing lenses.

Here are my lens choices on my D-50: a Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens for low light level shooting, the Tamron 18-200mm for my walk around lens. And I have a E-Bay bargain, the Tamron 28-300mm for the longest reach that I go really cheaply.

I would have to check to be positive, but I do not believe that there is a battery grip for the D-50. That is a feature of the D-70. Regarding batteries, I have never run the D-50's on board battery all the way down, it is that long lasting.

Here is an ISO 800/no flash photo with the Sigma 30mm

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 8:19 PM   #5

Thankyou for sharing your knowledge in relation to my questions on the entry level DSLRs.

Great to recieve direct and honest anwers to my questions.

I have nowon the brink of commiting myself to the purchase of theNikon D50.

I am considering if I should purchase the D50 complete with the Tamron 18-200mm lens (approx $1450.) or purchase the standard kit with 18-55 lens (approx $1000.) and look to purcahsing the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens which would be approx $1200more at a later date.

My question is would there be a significant advantage for someone at my level in the purchase of the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens over the Tamron 18-200mm ?

Although the combination is significantly more in total $ value, it is similar to what the Canon 350D / XT would havecost with the Tamron 18-200mm.

I dont want to outlay more money than I have to if it will achieve a very similar result.

Thanks again for all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Stephen

Old May 10, 2006, 8:46 PM   #6
Administrator

mickellay wrote:
Quote:
[snip]... and look to purcahsing the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens which would be approx $1200more at a later date.
You shouldn't need to spend that much more to get one.

This lens is in short supply. But, B&H has it listed at $749.95 (currently out of stock).

Nikkor 18-200mm VR at B&H

Circuit City has them (if you're willing to go $899 for one).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 9:33 PM   #7

Another camera to consider would be the (now discontinued) KM 5D with the Tamron 18-200. Sony has purchased KM and will pick up where they left off for the new cameras so I wouldn't be overly worried about the system being upgradable. The big advantage the KM has is the built in Anti Shake. This camera makes any lens you put on it image stabilized and it works superbly. The body's can be found for about $600. The image quality is on par with the D50 and would give you similar results as a D50 with the 18-200 VR lens. The Tamron actually test better for distortion than the Nikon lens and is about equal on all other factors. The D50 is a fine camera but those VR lenses are top dollar. The money you would spend for just that 18-200 VR could buy you 3 great KM lenses and all would be VR on the 5D. Only drawback is that new KM lenses are in short supply at the moment but that will change once Sony actually brings the new camera and lenses to market this summer. Not trying to pimp the Minolta by any means, but once you'veshot the AS it's hard to imagine shooting a camera without it.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 9:36 PM   #8

Hi Jim,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"thanks for the advice on availability. My fault here for not stating earlier, but I am in Australia. Hence the difference in the dollar values.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Would you suggest that for me the Tamron 18-200mm is adequate? Or would the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens give me noticibally better results?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"There is a differnce here of arround AU$600 in the options.If taking the Nikkor option I would notjump straight to the Nikkor 18-200, I would settle for the 18-55 kit lens untill I accrued a bit of cash.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The Tamron lens is presntly available as part of an available kit, which makes it very tempting price wise. Camera with the Tamron is arround AU$1500.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I am the very bottom of the ladder in relation to knowledge and skill level with DSLR so I really am likely to spend considerable time learning how to use my purchase correctly before I can switch from full auto mode.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
Old May 10, 2006, 9:40 PM   #9

Hi Jim,

I am unsure how I managed to get my last post to be so jumbled so I have repeated it.

Thanks for the advice on availability. My fault here for not stating earlier, but I am in Australia. Hence the difference in the dollar values.

Would you suggest that for me the Tamron 18-200mm is adequate? Or would the Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens give me noticibally better results?

There is a differnce here of arround AU$600 in the options.If taking the Nikkor option I would notjump straight to the Nikkor 18-200, I would settle for the 18-55 kit lens untill I accrued a bit of cash.

The Tamron lens is presntly available as part of an available kit, which makes it very tempting price wise. Camera with the Tamron is arround AU$1500.

I am the very bottom of the ladder in relation to knowledge and skill level with DSLR so I really am likely to spend considerable time learning how to use my purchase correctly before I can switch from full auto mode.

Thankyou for the info

Stephen

Old May 10, 2006, 10:07 PM   #10
Administrator

Stephen:

I didn't realize your location. I have not used either lens, but my most accounts the Nikkor is pretty good.

I'm not so sure I would want to spend that much to get one, though, even if I used a Nikon DSLR (and I don't).

Reports on the Tamron seem to be mixed.

If you want to see surveys based on user opinions, look here:

mtclimber likes it (as you can see from the previous post in this thread).

The Tamrons like this typically get mixed opinions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote