Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 10, 2006, 2:26 PM   #1

Hey all! This is my first post here. I'm asking today about the panasonic tz1, more specifically its zoom, performance at high sensitivities, and perhaps a comparison to the lz2.

My concerns relate to using the camera at a variety of concerts (indoors, outdoor festivals during daylight, outdoor festivals during dusk). I currently have an lz2, but even with minimal jostling from the crowd, my pictures still turn out pretty blurry. Why is this?
- Would this "high sensitivity mode" thing the tz1 has help with that?
- Does the blurriness have nothing really to do with the iso sensitivity or optical image stabilization not working? Do I just need a camera with a super fast shutter speed?

Lighting is not a big concern, as the performers are always well lit, and I don't need the super-sharpest pictures at 5MP size or anything. They'll all be resized to some extent. My lz2 pictures look like they would have turned out alright lighting-wise.

Zoom: 10x zoom certainly sounds better than 6x, but I have horrible depth perception and so I must ask you all this. Suppose I'm photographing a person say, 50 or 60 or 70 feet away, something like that. Would I be able to achieve a closeup of their face with 10x zoom? How close could I get with 6x zoom? I hope these questions aren't too ambiguous, I'm kind of a camera n00b.

I'm being terribly wordy here, so I'll wrap it up. Basically, I know that at most of the concerts I'm at, there will be jostling going on. I also know I will end up with some super blurry pics sometimes. I guess all i need to know is:

1) Will the features of the tz1 minimize blurriness (from the performers moving, crowd jostling) so much more than the lz2?
2) How far away (in feet) would I be able to get a closeup on someones face with 10x zoom as opposed to 6x zoom?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLIES!!
nellybird403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2006, 3:06 PM   #2

I doubt that the TZ1 would do any better than your LZ2 at the same zoom and would probably be more blurry at 10X if the blur is caused by hand movement. The stabilization is probably working and helps quite a bit with hand movement when taking the photos. It doesn't help at all for subject motion though.

Look at the EXIF info from your blurry shots. With stabilization you would need about 1/30 sec for shutter speed at 6X zoom and maybe more since the holding position without an eyelevel viewfinder isn't very steady – especially at a concert. If the blur is caused by subject movement you need a faster shutter.

10X zoom won't get a head shot at 70 feet. A full frame will be about 60% of a 6X zoom shot from your LZ2.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 6:28 PM   #3

I happen to own a Panasonic TZ-1. If you go above ISO 200, it gets very noisy indeed. In short ,it is not a good low light level shooting camera. Good concert photos really are done with a DSLR camera.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 7:32 PM   #4

Mtclimber - would you buy the TZ1 again despite what you now know about the noise issue? Do you correct it with software or live with it?

I ask this because I am considering purchasing this camera or the FZ7.

Thanks!
jpmac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 8:34 PM   #5

The FZ-7 is just as noisy as the TZ-1. For low light level shooting I use my Nikon D-50 and my Sigma 30mm F1.4 lens. Here is a sample.

MT
Attached Images

Old May 12, 2006, 9:19 PM   #6

And here is a sample from my TZ-1. This is a fully automatic shot using the Night Landscape SceneMode. The exposure was right on the nail, and the sharpness was excellent.

The TZ-1 is a very easy to use camera than gives you IS, a full 10X optical zoom, in a very small and convenient package. I think it can fullfill anyones aspirations if used properly. It a great little camera.

MT
Attached Images