Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 11, 2006, 3:45 PM   #1

I'm not a very good photographer, need macro mode most of the time, and I need something to stop the blur... panasonic helps, but then the macro mode is so so.

Do anyone knows other brands who offers it?

thanks, an old lady who tries very hard.
louloutoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 11, 2006, 4:05 PM   #2

Canon:

S1,S2,S3

Kodak:

P850,P880
Boily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 8:34 PM   #3

louloutoyou wrote:
Quote:
panasonic helps, but then the macro mode is so so.

Yeah, it is so so...so, so good.

Panasonic Lumix FZ5
Macro Mode
Focal length 6mm
ISO 80
f/3.2
1/160s
Monopod used and with stabilization on
Attached Images

ccd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 8:44 PM   #4

thanks for the picture you must be an excellent photog. I have a long way to go before taking something like this. I'm taking pictures of small objects and the details must be perfect, well the best I can. I must get the letters on coins, medals etc., anything you can share will be highly appreciated.

Thanks you

Lou

Old May 11, 2006, 9:03 PM   #5

Lou, as you can plainly tell the detail in macro mode is very good for a non-dslr. The Leica lens on the Pany's is excellent. Not dissing the Canons or the Kodaks mentioned...I just know I am very pleased with the FZ5. There is some noise issues at the higher ISO's, but this shot was taken in low light (heavy overcast) at ISO 80 with no problems.

I'm not that good either....esp. with macros. I got lucky with this one...but that should tell you how good the camera is. If I can take this, anyone could. I'm sure you'd be very pleased with the detail if you purchased one of the Lumix line. The FZ5 is also one of the smallest and lightest hybrid type superzooms....and they've been around long enough that the price is going down every time I look. If you wanted a larger model you could go with the FZ20 or FZ30...with the benefit(?) of the extra megapixels. I could show you more shots if you like, but that's about the best macro I've taken. I do mostly landscapes.
ccd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 9:11 PM   #6

louloutoyou wrote:
Quote:
... I must get the letters on coins, medals etc.,...
If that is the critical use of the camera, a tripod will serve you much better than image stabilization. A remote shutter release is also nice, though using the self timer will avoid shake from pushing the shutter release.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2006, 9:57 PM   #7

As depth of field is so narrow for macro shots, the only real way to prevent shake (as Bill Drew said) is by using a tripod, and good lighting. Good lighting allows you to use the minimum aperature for max DOF, and a tripod coupled with either timed or remote release will eliminate any camera shake.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2006, 8:48 AM   #8

Hi thanks for your answer, a time release shutter would be of great help. Now I'm so mixed up in reviewing different companies for digital camera.. I went and bought a LZ5 panasonic just to try it. I have an olympys camedia C-5500 which worked well with a tripod, only I screwed it the wrong way. so the camera won't hold on the tripod anymore.

That led me to try finding a camera that would not require a tripod all the time in different places where I take my pictures of medals, coins, rosaries, trying to get the smallest caracters clear to display.

I'll try again with the panasonic LZ5 today, it may well be my inexeperience with the camera why I don't get these clear caracters ( or I should look for a better camera? which one?

thanks for your time.

Louise
Old May 12, 2006, 8:59 AM   #9

Hi, the camera I bought yesterday is a LZ5 panasonic, so it's not as good as the TZ5. I'm just trying this camera out, to see if I can shoot coins, medals et small caracters like "sterling" and get them really clear. that's what I need most of the time. In fact what I need is acamera with a good macro mode coupledwith reasonnable price.

I take pictures of small objects all the time, and my budget doesn't stretch more than 400.00.

Old May 12, 2006, 9:01 AM   #10

Hello neighbor, I went to see the Canon S1 S2 S3 aand the Kodax P 850 880. These cameras seem so good, but there are no stabilizator in any of them, or did I miss something?