Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2006, 1:28 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy a new camera that will mostly be for traveling to other countries.

I want at least 4megapixel's...anything over six is not necessary unless it helps fulfill my other requirements. (I will mostly be printin 4*6 pictures)

I have yet to find a camera with a wideangle less than 35..if anyone knows of any I would love that as I think it would help for a lot of pictures I take. At least 3x if not more zoom I would love. (if this dosnt work..id be open to buying a wide angle/zoom lens in which case id want a camera that supports add on lenses and can change them very easily)

Obviously I want high qualitiy pictures, brand I can trust etc...

Full manuel controls are not necessary...but control of the shutter speed would be nice

Price range: about 300 dollars..less if possible...although I could go up to 400

I've been looking at canon 610, canons2 and canon 700. of those 3 what would u reccomend..or if there is another camera that better meets my requirements..what would you reccomend.

Thanks for your help

PS. I'm looking to buy sometime over the summer..if that makes a differece
abs9986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 11:01 AM   #2

bump
Old May 15, 2006, 10:37 AM   #3

Actually it seems the canon add on lenses are quite expensive and yield only soso results. I've seen a kodak camra that has a pretty nice wide angle, but its duel lense system seems to be questionable. Any other suggestions?
Old May 16, 2006, 12:15 PM   #4

is anyone able to help?

I've been having trouble finding cameras with a good wide angle in my price range

Old May 17, 2006, 3:43 PM   #5

bump...I really need some help here.
Thanks
Old May 17, 2006, 4:59 PM   #6
rey

One of the main issues with P&S is that it's hard to find them with wide angle shots. I've looked at Steve's Best list when you first posted and all the cameras I saw, at least the popular ones, starts around 35mm.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

I think you can pretty much assume that the fact no one replied here means no one here has any experience with P&S with wide angle lens.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 5:32 PM   #7

In your price range I couldn't think of something apart from that Kodak EasyShare V570 Dual Lens.

But if you're looking for a high quality digicam with a wide-angle lens and even ready to invest into a wide-angle add-on lens, why not have a look at Canon PowerShot S80, or S70 (28-100mm good quality optical zoom) if you can still find one new. In your situation I would pick one of those, probably even used or refurbished.

Just my $0.05

algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 7:06 PM   #8

Have you looked at the Panasonic FX01? 28 mm (equivalent) at the wide end. At least one reputable dealer has it priced at $300.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 4:35 PM   #9

Costco has the Kodak P880 (24 mm wide angle max) for $399 online for another week or so.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote