Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2006, 8:30 PM   #1

I graduated from college today and have some extra cash now. I have been wanting a 5D but haven't had the funds in a while. I have them now and wonder if I buy now will it be a waste or will I be one of the lucky ones to end up with a KM body? If the alpha has a much better sensor I think it may be worth the wait, I have waited quite a while and accumulated lenses in the process. i have 2 panasonic superzooms now (FZ15 and my wifes FZ4) we have a baby due in October and I would like the camera to play with over the summer.

Ernie
TopSpin80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2006, 10:11 PM   #2

TopSpin80 wrote:
Quote:
I graduated from college today and have some extra cash now. I have been wanting a 5D but haven't had the funds in a while. I have them now and wonder if I buy now will it be a waste or will I be one of the lucky ones to end up with a KM body? If the alpha has a much better sensor I think it may be worth the wait, I have waited quite a while and accumulated lenses in the process. i have 2 panasonic superzooms now (FZ15 and my wifes FZ4) we have a baby due in October and I would like the camera to play with over the summer.

Ernie
I was over at Circuit City and they dropped the price on the 5D to 631 with the kit lens. I don't know if they had any in stock or just the display. When I bought mt 7D a couple of weeks ago the price was much higher otherwise I probably would have bought the 5D. I paid 949 for my 7D but the lens it was packaged with goes for 379 by itself so I still got a good deal. As for whether or not to wait for the Sony, that is a tough one. I can tell you this.... the current 6'1 megapixel sensor is more than adequate for any kind of picture taking.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 12:12 AM   #3

The question is when you want to start shooting. Is it now or in a few months?
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 1:58 AM   #4

Seing as you have a child underway ( congrats ) I would go for it now! Might as well take the necessary time to get accustomed to your camera, rather than ending up with a lot of crappy baby photos ( He/she only makes that particular face once you know! :-))

I would expect ( clearly without relying on anything other than rumors) that the 5D and the Alpha won´t be that different. I would imagine a 5D with minor twists and an alpha badge on it.

Just my five cents.........
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 11:39 AM   #5

I'd say get a 5D and start shooting. Nobody knows for sure when the Alphas will be available, so you may be waiting until it's too late. The 5D is a great camera and certainly won't let you down. Sensor wise I'd say at best the new cameracould have the same 10.2mp sensor in the Nikon D200. To me that alone isnot worth waiting for, but YMMV.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote