Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 13, 2006, 10:27 PM   #1

Hi all, after months of researching, Iam down to a selection of 3. Can anyone please shed some light.

1. Money is not an issue as its not everyday you buy a cam.

2. The feel/look of all 3 are very appealing to me. (Havent "felt" the F30 yet). Pocket size slim, yet want to take very good pics when on holidays.......Scenery, Temples, Churches, People, Buildings, Close ups, etc, etc, travelling all over SE Asia soon.

3. I am considering purchasing the Sony ALPHA (AS WELL) when it is released PROVIDED that I can usemy oldMinolta Dynax Lenses 28-105 I already own with it, but its NON Digital, (unsure about whether they meant it can be used withNON Digital or just Digital lenses????).

I will be most grateful for any information....................... Cheers
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 12:08 AM   #2

This is a no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned. Fuji F30 wins by a long shot because of it's low noise. Its SuperCCD technology is years ahead of the competition. Also, it has semi-automatic and manual shooting mode that can really improve on your understanding of photo taking.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 3:03 AM   #3
E.T

ChrisRay wrote:
Quote:
I am considering purchasing the Sony ALPHA (AS WELL) when it is released PROVIDED that I can use¬*my old¬*Minolta Dynax Lenses 28-105 I already own with it, but its NON Digital, (unsure about whether they meant it can be used with¬*NON Digital or just Digital lenses????).
If it's autofocusing lens then it should work well.
"Digital" means lens is made for APS sized sensor and can't be used with full frame dSLRs/film SLRs.

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Its SuperCCD technology is years ahead of the competition.
Only in strong noise removing, without it difference to other CCDs isn't much.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 4:07 AM   #4

Thanks a lot mate. My queries/concern is how can 'people' seem to be so sure about a camera which is not realesed yet?? PS: I believe and appreciated your comments.
Old May 14, 2006, 4:10 AM   #5

Thanks a lot mate. My queries/concern is how can 'people' seem to be so sure about a camera which is not realesed yet?? PS: I believe and appreciated your comments.

Could you be so kind as to rephrase this "without it difference to other CCDs isn't much.", I dont understand, srory. I apologise for my lack of in-depth knowledge of the 'lingo'. Cheers
Old May 14, 2006, 4:26 AM   #6

The F30 has 6th generation SuperCCD technology. I was basing my judgement upon reviews and comparison tests donewith 5th generation SuperCCD technology.And 'people' can be sure of something whencontinuity is concerned. Ihave used a few cameras, of mine and of others, and when speaking about p&s , Fujis are the best. Why? Becausethe snapshots you get with those require the least, if any, amount of post processing. What ET said was true, but one has to think that people that use p&s of this size are concerned only with getting direct results from their cameras.

Here's a direct comparison for the latest addition toCanon's A series, the A700, and last year's Fuji F10: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona700/page10.asp. Sony is only slightlybetter off than Canon, when noise is concerned, I reckon from using a DSC-V3 for 6 months. Now, don't you think thateven if the F30 won't be better at noise management (which I doubt), at least it'll be the same as the F10? And, with that, don't you think that the SuperCCD technology puts to shameeverything else on the market (in the same price range and in the samerange of digital camera)?
Old May 14, 2006, 4:45 AM   #7

Wow, I did check it out. Thx. Very appreciated. Any idea when the F30 will be released (I'm in Shanghai, China now. Will be in HK in 6 weeks). Cheers
Old May 14, 2006, 4:54 AM   #8

Chris, on amazon it says June 15th: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8 .That may be in the US but I'm sure that by the beginning of July it'll be available worldwide. Also, you might wanna check out the Fujifilm S5200/S5600. It's got 10x optical zoom and 5th generation SuperCCD and it may suit your needs better. It's bigger than the F30 but it may work better for you, depending on your needs.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how the 6th generation SuperCCD performs and I might just get an F30 as a pocket digicamaddition to my Nikon D50.

Cheers!
Old May 14, 2006, 5:47 AM   #9

Thx again. I did check it out. Its one of the nicest DSLR I have seen. I wouldnt mind buying a dslr as well, its just that they are so ugly in apperance. Hence, why I liked the 3 slim sleek ones I have mentioned. Cheers & thx a million.
Old May 29, 2006, 7:37 PM   #10

Hello Experts, A quick Y/N question

I have looked & felt the Fuji F30, it is great. Only thing it seems to lag is any real zoom. Hence, I am thinking of getting a dSLR.

Q. When the lens say 18-200mm AND it has a scale factor of 1.5, does this mean that it is really the same as a 35mm equivalent of 27-300mm?????

Thanks in advance, Cheers