Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2006, 9:21 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the advice on choosing a new camera. I decided on the Nikon D50, now for the lens. I do wildlife and close up flowers. I would like as much zoom as possible and macro. After playing with the cameras at the camera stores, I think I can get away without the macro feature with a digital SLR. I was leaning towards the Tamron 18 - 200 with macro. Would the Nikon lensbe that much better to forget the macro feature of the Tamronand get the 18 55 and 55 -200? They make a 70 - 300 but I wonder about the 55 to 70 gap?? The camera store yesterday said that the D70 and its 18 to 55 lens is so much better than any combinations with the D50. Please give me your opinions. Thanks
cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 9:54 AM   #2

I wouldn't let the macro feature factor into your decision. Close focusing distance for the tamron lens is a bit over 17 inches (which isn't bad), but the macro is only 1:3.7..true macro is 1:1. Almost any mid range zoom will function as well. Optically, superzooms are not as good as the smaller ranged zooms,. The two kit lenses (the 18-55 and the 55-200) are solid, if unremarkable lenses, and offer outstanding value for the price.The 55-200 is also a stop faster at the200mm end..the tamron is only f 6.3, making low light photographydifficult, and AF slow. However, the superzooms are more convenient, and obviously reduce the need for lens changes, minimizing dust on the sensor (not eliminating). I'm not a big fan of superzooms, although by all accounts the Nikon 18-200vr is an incredible lens and head and shoulders above the competitors. It's also quite pricey.

If your a casual shooter, and value conveinance and can live with the shortcomings, by all means go with the Tamron. If you're a little more serious, I would opt for the two kit lens.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 10:37 AM   #3

Thanks. The input is a lot of help. The salesmen are trying to sell whatever they have left on the shelf. Thanks again.
cams is offline   Reply With Quote