Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2006, 2:26 PM   #1

I've been reading a ton of reviews and have looked this site up and down, inside and out. After all that, I've narrowed my search down to two cameras, the Canon PowerShot SD600 and the Casio EX-S600.

Which one should I get? Or, if there is a different one you think I should consider, please feel free to make your suggestions.

I'm basically looking for a small camera I can carry anywhere that takes decent pictures. I currently own a Canon PowerShot A95. I find that I don't use it as often as I would like because of it's size...it doesn't conveniently fit into my purse, and it also has a bunch of features that I never use (I'm not a photographer by any means). I probably take an equal amount of indoor and outdoor pictures...usually of family and friends at get togethers and vacations. I take pictures to preserve memories...so, I like them to be of good quality, butI don't take them for artistic purposes, so, I don't need a bunch of personal, manual options.I'm happy with the photo quality of my A95, I just don't like the inconvenience of its bulk.

Thanks!
k-i-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 4:19 PM   #2

Please help...anyone? If you've taken the time to open this topic, I assume it means you have some sort of opinion...but there aren't any replies...just views :sad:

Anyways, I have a stupid question in regards to the Canon SD600...is it true that there's no battery life indicator whatsoever?
Old May 15, 2006, 4:21 PM   #3

I also have a question on the Casio...does the LCD display not have anti-glare like the SD600?
Old May 15, 2006, 4:30 PM   #4

I have the Casio Z600 (not the S600) and the screen is very nice even in bright sunlight and the battery seems to last forever. It takes great photos and is very very small, which makes it something I take with me all the time instead of leaving it home. The S600 takes the best video if that is one of your needs and will record until you run out of card space.

I do not have th Canon so I can't comment on that.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 5:07 PM   #5

Thank you for your reply ennacac. I didn't even look at the Z600 until I saw your reply. It seems very comprable to the S600. Would you mind if I asked what led you to purchase that model?
Old May 15, 2006, 10:47 PM   #6

Okay, I think I'm getting closer to making a decision...here's my thoughts as of right now...

I think I'm leaning more towards theCasio right nowmainly becauseof it's advantage in the battery area. It has a battery indicator (I'm under the impression that the Canon doesn't) and a better battery life. However, my one concern is the flash. It's flash range only goes to like 9 ft. in wide angle. If I'm taking a lot of group shots with friends at their homes where there's not always a great light source, how much does this really effect the picture quality?
Old May 16, 2006, 8:57 AM   #7

I got the Z600 instead of the S600 because it has a extremely nice screen that you can see in the brightest light, the battery life is fantastic, it is very small, and the flash is amazing for a tiny camera. Look at is before you buy anything else!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote