Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 14, 2006, 3:11 PM   #1

New here but not new to Steve's site.. ( great )

I now own a Kodak 10x zoom ( DX6490)... While perfectly happy with this camera and the pic quality (especially outdoors)..I want to get closer to subjects.. The other thing that is driving me crazy is the wait time from shot to shot...... It seems like forever...

So, the two things I want most without loosing good quality pics is a 12 zoom and faster shot to shot action.

I know there are many other brand fans here (smile ) and I am openminded.. But my entire set up is Kodak with the easy share and all.. Maybe other camera's would work with that too I don't know..

I do a LOT of research before buying anything.. Almost went SLR but decided I am really not ready for all of that... Have been looking at the Kodak P850.. Also the new Kodak Z612 and would LOVE to hear anything that you might know about that camera..

Even looked a bit at the Canon S3 IS, Panasonic Z30s & FZ7

None of the cameras seem that expensive so cost is not an issue here.

Will look forward to input..
Cree77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2006, 4:44 PM   #2

I own a Panasonic FZ30 andin one word:"love-it"

Befor the FZ30 I had a Z2 from konica minolta. The Z2 had a 10x zoom (38 - 380mm) and the FZ30 has a 12x zoom (35 - 420).

The difference between 380 mm and 420 mm is not that big of a deal. I still want to come closer and considering of buying a teleconverter.... that really makes a difference.

If you are really happy with Kodak, I won't stop you from buying an other Kodak camera, but if money is not a problem, I would buy a FZ30.

Rudo
Rudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 1:04 AM   #3

I'm not a fan of the Kodak EasyShare system, but if you use it and are happy with it the stabilized Kodak cameras will probably work out well. The P850 got decent reviews and I imagine the Z612 will be good also.

I'm sure you are aware that there are a lot of cameras in that category now. The Panasonic FZ7 is compact. The FZ20 has the best light gathering and the FZ30 is quite large but has a lot of good features including a manual zoom ring.

The Canon S3 has a flip-out LCD and wind buffered stereo mics. It also has extremely good macro abilities.

The Sony H2 is a nice all-round camera. It doesn't have a good burst mode like the others but is a competent camera.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 10:13 AM   #4

Thanks Rudo.. as I said I am open minded.. I am not opposed to another brand of camera..

I guess I just never thought of panasonic... Usually all I see is Canon, Nikon, Sony, Kodak...

I will give it some more thought. I have visited the stores in our area so I could get my hands on a few.. No panasonics anywhere to be found..

Cree
Old May 15, 2006, 10:17 AM   #5

Thanks Slipe..

The easyshare program is quick.. But I usually pull my photos into adobe as well when I want to do more or to post to my website..

And yes, I am aware of the other 12x cameras... I have been reading up on all of them to try to help me make a decision.. But nothing helps as much as hearing from those who have used them.. ( smile )

thanks......

Cree
Old May 15, 2006, 1:22 PM   #6

i have a Panasonic FZ20 which i used a LOT up till recently when i made the jump to a DSLR. the Panasonic lenses, in my opinion, are as good as you'll find in a camera of that type. i've had marvelous results with mine, and those who have the FZ30 - as well as the FZ5 and FZ7 - report similar satisfaction. the ultimate choice is yourse, of course, but if you're looking for a very capable all-in-one digicam with a 12x lens, you won't go wrong with the FZ series.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 2:18 AM   #7

Try the Canon PowerShot S2 or S3.

The Panasonic cameras have better Image Stabilisation, but also suffers from noise issues. I used to own the Panasonic DMC-FX9, LZ2, and FZ5, and found that noise levels can become annoying even at ISO 200, if no post processing is applied.

Canon does a slightly better job overall I think, and has an acceptable shot to shot time. Canon also has the best quality video mode I have seen so far in digital cameras.

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 8:57 AM   #8

Thanks Elddjoc.... I have read a LOT about noise with panasonic. What concerns me more is I have read a lot where the camera has to be sent back due to fuse needing replaced.... This was on the FZ30.....

Still doing research.. :?

Cree
Old May 16, 2006, 9:37 AM   #9

Well, I've only had my FZ30 for a couple of days, but so far, I love it. The images look great, there's no noise I've noticed so far, then again, I haven't taken any shots in anything over ISO200. But the couple of images I managed to snap so far turned out really great right out of the camera. Love the feel of the camera and especially the manual zoom ring. It has lots of features for the price and all around is an awesome camera.

Do you have a chance to try out different cameras in a local store? I'd suggest trying out a couple of them - even taking a memory card with you and asking the clerks if you can take some shots to compare at home. That's what I did and decided on the FZ30.

For reference, I also looked at the S2 and the S3 from Canon, as well as the H1 from Sony.
shaolin_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 1:25 PM   #10

In my opinion there are only 2 viable , mega zoom cameras worth under £400 to consider; The Canon S3 IS or Sony H2.

Both the H2 and S3 are excellent cameras from Companies with a proven track record (how many times do the S2 and H1 come in the top ten's of camera reviews = every time)

If the Olympus x10 zoom camera had image stabilization I'd have considered that, it's a lovely little well madecamera even though it is only a x10 zoom

I spent weeks trying to decide which camera to get, I looked at Panasonic's, Fuji's, & Olympus, I looked at countless reviews & handled countless cameras,in the end it boiled down tocost:the Sony H2 is £55 cheaper than theCanon S3 and it's"optional" adaptor.

Good luck becuase only you can decide which camera to get, it is'nt easy though, just get out and try "every" camerafor yourself.
davesdigicam is offline   Reply With Quote