Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 15, 2006, 5:34 AM   #1

Hello, I'm new

I want to buy a new camera, which I want to use on holidays and to take average familiy, party pictures etc.
My problem is, the camera should'd be too expensive, but even though should make nice pictures.
I love to travel a lot, and I'm going on an America tour this summer, so I'd like to take many pictures. These shouldn'd be unclear or stuff like that.

I now found the Canon A530 and the Samsung S500 which have a good price and for me seem to have good quality.
But I'm a newbee on photography, so I don't know which camera is better and which I should buy.

Can someone help me? I'd be really thankful for any help!
Which one does make better pictures? I don't know where the differences are.

Thx a lot! Greets, Treesy
Treesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2006, 8:41 AM   #2

Or do you think the Kodak C360 is even better?
Old May 15, 2006, 12:52 PM   #3

I have had the Canon A530 for a couple of days. It takes good pictures and very good videos (I think) for a relatively small camera. It uses 2 AA batteries, and I strongly suggest getting good rechargeable batteries, which aren't so expensive anymore. Some people don't like the battery andmemory card cover (it covers both). I don't know about the Samsung. I have seen the Kodak, but never used it. Kodaks have a reputation for being easy to use.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 1:43 PM   #4

definitely get a Canon over the Samsung.
However I have noticed that RadioShack is selling the 6Mpix Fuji F10 for $199, a killer deal.
It has great picture quality and the best low light image quality of all compacts at any price, so perfect for parties.
Sorry, somehow these boards donĀ“t allow pasting in Firefox, just search epinions.com for "fuji f10".
jnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2006, 2:41 PM   #5

Thanks a lot for your tips!
So the canon seems to become the one... .
I can't buy a fuji because it uses a xd-picture card and I already have SD cards.
That's really damage, but I do not want to buy new cards.

I have another question, the kodak and the samsung both have a backlight feature. The Canon doesn't have that.
Do you think this is a good feature,I meanis it really working?
Can I adjust the canon in a way that I also can take pictures with backlight with it?

Thanks again for helping, I myself don't know enough to decide.
Old May 15, 2006, 3:01 PM   #6

One of the gripes about the A530's LCD screen is that it's hard to see in bright sunlight. Look at Steve's review of the camera for relevant info on this.

I buy a camera for picture quality. I can still take good pictures with the A530 despite the limitations of the LCD.

I, too, would strongly recommend the Fuji F10, if you can get it for $199. Yeah, it uses xD cards, but you can get a 512 meg card for less than 40 bucks, and it takes great pictures.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 1:53 AM   #7
rey

I would suggest you move up to the Canon A540 (if you can). It has bigger LCD and Shutter and Aperture Priority modes.

Peace.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 8:18 AM   #8

Ok, I'll go to a shop and look for both canons. Maybe I can see how big the differences are between the530 and 540.
Is the picture quality a lot better of the 540?

I'll also look at the Fuji, but I don't think that I'll buy it because of it's cards.

But what do you think about the Panasonic DMC-LS3EG-S? I didn't find a review yet. But it has optical image stabilisation.

Thx

Old May 17, 2006, 12:35 PM   #9
rey

In case you haven't seen it yet, check out Steve's Best for other options:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2006, 3:32 PM   #10

Hello again

Iread many informations about the A530 and 540 again.
I also read Steve's reviews several times. Because of that, the A540 seems to be the better one to me.

But then I saw the Casio EX Z 120 and I really liked the way it looked.
And it has more Megapixel. What do you know about this camera? I read Steve`s review. It's not as perfect as the one of the Canon but since the Casio is far more slim I thought it could be another choice.
Does anyone have this camera or knows more about it? Do you think it's also as good as the Canon?
Please help!

Treesy