Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 16, 2006, 7:39 PM   #1

Complete newb here, sorry if this is a really dumb question. I've been reading up on both cameras for awhile now, and was really leaning towards the D50 comparing the two on paper, and from the lenses available (18-200 VR, etc). Today I finallywentandheld both cameras in person though, I like the feel of the E-500much more. (I have problems with the tendons in my wrists and the Olympus doesn't seem to aggravate them as much as the Nikon did...maybe it's the weight?)

I thought it would be great to have the 50mm 1.8 lens on the D50 for shots of our newborn around our low-lit house. Is it really dumb to force the issue and get the D50 which feels less comfortable to me just because I want to use a $100 50mm f1.8lens?I can't seem to find a comparable lens for Olympus unless I went with a converter, and then AF is out. Given that I'm a newb, I might need that AF help for awhile :-)

TIA!

Marley
mrmarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2006, 8:03 AM   #2

You need to pick the camera you will enjoy using. D50 IMO is a better camera but I agree the 'feel' of the Oly is better.
dequardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 9:29 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply dequardo. I did find an Olympus 50mm Macro f2.0 for $450 after rebate, so at least I now know there's an option out there if I save my pennies for a bit :-)

I'm going to go try them both out today one more time before deciding.

Just curious, what do you personally like about the D50 more? Lens selection, image quality, etc?
Old May 17, 2006, 9:42 AM   #4
Administrator

mrmarley wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your reply dequardo. I did find an Olympus 50mm Macro f2.0 for $450 after rebate, so at least I now know there's an option out there if I save my pennies for a bit :-)
Keep angle of view differences in mind when lens shopping.

The sensor in a DSLR like the Nikon is smaller than 35mm film. So, a 50mm lens on a DSLR is like using a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera from an angle of view (apparent magnification) perspective.

In other words, a lens will appear to be 50% longer on a Nikon DSLR compared to the same lens on a 35mm camera. Just multiply the focal length by 1.5x to get a better idea of how they compare.

In close quarters with my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D (same size Sony sensor as used in the Nikon D50), I use a Minolta 28mm f/2 more often than not, because sometimes 50mm is a bit too long. But, I'm thinking about replacing it with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4, since sometimes f/2 isn't bright enough for some of the low light clubs in my area, even with ISO 3200 and anti-shake.

For a baby, a 50mm would probably work fine on a model like the D50, though (you're not as concerned about a wider angle of view for a smaller subject).

The Olympus 4/3's system models have a sensor that's even smaller (smallest sensor used in DSLR models, compared to DSLR models from Nikon, Pentax, Canon, Konica Minolta and Sigma).

So, a 50mm lens will have the same angle of view as a 100mm lens on a 35mm camera (you have to multiply the focal length by 2x with an Olympus model to see how it would compare to a lens on a 35mm camera from an angle of view perspective).

Note that Sigma will also be manufacturing the 30mm f/1.4 for the Olympus 4/3's system. I don't think it's shipping yet. So, keep an eye on vendors for it's appearance. It will probably run around $429 (what this lens sells for in Nikon and Canon mounts at popular vendors like B&H).

On an Olympus model, a 30mm lens would have the same angle of view as a 60mm lens on a 35mm camera. That's not ideal for some subjects in closer quarters. But, for a baby, it will probably work fine (and give you another stop over a 50mm f/2 if light is very low).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2006, 3:21 PM   #5

Thank you Jim. I went and played with the D50 again at lunch. It wasn't as bad on my hands this time, but I didn't have the E-500 there to compare it to...maybe that's a good thing, lol.

I'm going to wait a little longer before I decide...thanks for the heads up on the 30mm lens that's going to be coming out..and for the tip about the smaller sensor, I wouldn't have thought about that and how hard it could make close quarter shots for the 50mm with the Olympus.

-Marley
Old May 17, 2006, 5:50 PM   #6
Administrator

The Nikon would probably be the better choice between the Olympus and Nikon models for existing light use (it's got a larger sensor, so it's not going to be impacted as much by noise (or in camera noise reduction smoothing detail) compared to the Oly.

If your primary purpose is existing light shooting without a flash, you may want to take a look at the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D as well.

It's got built in anti-shake that works with every lens, including bright primes; along with ISO speeds up to ISO 3200 (missing on entry level models from Canon and Nikon).

The KM 5D is getting pretty hard to come by, though. Sony will be launching DSLR models that can use the same lens mount this summer (they started working with Konica Minolta on Sony branded DSLR models last July, and also acquired some of Konica-Minolta's assets whenKM decided to exit the camera business).

Both the Nikon D50 and the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D use a Sony sensor.

Note that I'm biased, since I have a KM 5D. But, one reason I got it (even though I already had Nikon 35mm gear and lenses) is because I like low light shooting.My favorite lenses for existing light are theMinolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7 and 100mm f/2

I only paid $49 for my 50mm f/1.7, including a working Minolta Maxxum 7000 35mm SLR and a flash. ;-) The 50mm is normally around $100 new. But, they are very scarce now, and you'd probably need to pay about that much for a used one (at least until Sony starts shipping lenses so the supply shortage is filled).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote