Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 17, 2006, 12:24 AM   #1

Help - I've got to decide fairly quickly which of these two cameras to buy (to replace my Nikon 5600).

What I didn't like about the Nikon were it's incredibly slow flash lag, and its small LCD screen -- which both Canon's remedy.

HOWEVER, after comparing the two Canons, I'm more confused than ever!

The advantage of the A620 seems to be the swivel LCD screen, and (maybe?) the fact that it uses 4, instead of 2 AA batteries.

On the other hand, it's been reported as much bulkier, and has been criticized for not having ISO 800 capabilities.

The A540 is a newer model,but has far less written about it on these kind of sites. It doesn't have a swivel screen (but having never had one, I'm not really clear on the advantages), it DOES have ISO 800, but with lots of "noise" apparently, and -- if I read the specs correctly -- it seems to have a faster speed (FPS and "burst") than the A620. And, of course, it's a bit less expensive.

(I don't really care about the additional MP with the A620.)

Would LOVE to hear from someone familiar with both models.
tanmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 7:11 AM   #2

I prefer the A620 becuase of the bigger body and it taking 4 AA's. I think it runs faster and longer than just 2AA's, but not sure. The swivel screenI don't use that much, but it is nice be able to be able toclose the screen so it is protected if you ever want to.And I never use the ISO at all, so that doesn't matter to me.

Both are great Camera's so take your pick.
Dirt Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3

thanks!
Old May 19, 2006, 7:05 AM   #4

Hello Tanmail,

I went with the A540 because it is more compact and only uses 2 AA batteries. I feel that it is easier to keep 2 batteries in balance.

I am using 2000 mAh Sanyo Eneloop cells in it, and they are able to power the camera through a 1Gb memory card full of pictures and video,and still have some power to spare.

I do not know what the flash recycle time of the Nikon is, but be advised that if you use the A540 at full power flash, you will be waiting about 12 seconds before you can take the next picture.

You have a tough choice to make...

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 11:02 AM   #5

I've eliminated the A620 for the same reasons as you. However, I'm dismayed to hear your findings about the flash lag time with the A540 -- as that's exactly the problem with even the new Nikons (eg., the L1)! (It's strange how, while that coms up on ALL the Nikon feedback, you're the first person to note it with the Canon...)

Have you heard of a digicam in a similar price/feature range that DOESN'T have that problem?
Old May 19, 2006, 1:59 PM   #6

The flash recycle timeon theA620 is verry short, you don't have to waitat all. And the 540 isn't that much smaller. I don't want to try to change your mind, just figured I would tell you so you knew.
Old May 19, 2006, 2:02 PM   #7

SilverFoxCPF wrote:
Quote:

I am using 2000 mAh Sanyo Eneloop cells in it,

Would the Energizers be any better? They have 2400 mAh. That maybe why your flash recycle time is so slow.