Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2006, 7:16 PM   #11

thanks Rj
Dr.Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 8:12 PM   #12
Administrator

Dr.Theo wrote:
Quote:
the more i read the more i hear about the e500 haveing alot of noise

where does it comepare to the d70? thanks
Any of the DSLR models should be fine for image qualitythrough about ISO 800 at most print and viewing sizes.

After that, it gets a bit tougher, and most other models will have an advantage over the E-500. That's not to say it's unusable at higher ISO speeds. There are some pretty good noise reduction tools available now, and print and viewing sizes enter the equation.

You may also want to add the Nikon D50 to your list of possible choices. It's a less expensive model compared to the D70s, and it's well liked by it's owners.

Lens selection is probably as important as the camera if you plan on shooting in very low light, and a brighter lens can help you to avoid the highest ISO speeds, too. So, once you narrow down your choice in a camera, you may want to ask about lens selection here for specific purposes.

rjseeneyhas the right idea. Try out any model you consider in a store. Each user will have preferences in a camera, just as no one vehicle is going to be just right for any driver.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 8:41 PM   #13
Administrator

Dr.Theo wrote:
Quote:
wow now after talking with a member here on the board i have done a 180 and am now almost sold on a minolta
Adorama has the best deal going right now.

They've got the Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D for $899, including a 28-75mm f/2.8 lens. That lens alone sells for almost $400 (it's $379 at B&H).

http://www.adorama.com/IMN7DK1.html

Konica Minolta decided to exit the camera business. So, you can find some pretty good deals on remaining stock. Adorama is about the only dealer I know of that even has any bodies left (as least bodies intended for sale in the U.S.). You may find some brick and mortar stores that still have some in stock though (local Ritz/Wolf stores, etc.).

Sonyacquired some of their DSLR related assets and will be releasing DSLR models that can use Minolta Autofocus lenses this summer (and Minolta has manufactured 16 Million lenses in this mount since 1985).

In the interim, supply has almost dried up on KM DSLRs.

Part of the arrangementwith KM is that Sonyis taking over warranty work. So, you wouldn't need to worry about that part if you experienced a failure.

Sony Support for Konica Minolta Cameras, Lenses and Accessories

BTW, Sony has announced it's intent tocapture more than 25% of theDSLR market within the next few years.Only time will tell if they can succeed (and if so, they'll be taking marketshare away from other manufacturers).

I personally think that a KM DSLR is the best deal going if you like low light shooting, since you've got anti-shake built in that works with every lens, along with ISO speeds through ISO 3200. But, I'm biased since I'm using a KM DSLR (I've got a Maxxum 5D).

KM DSLRs are getting pretty hard to come by right now, though. So, if you wait too long, you'll probably have to wait on Sony to release their DSLR models if you want a model with built in anti-shake that works with any lenses you buy for it.
Old May 19, 2006, 8:35 AM   #14

Adorama has 7 bodies in stock, and now 18 of the Kits with the 28-75 f/2.8 lenses

as i just bought 2 one for myself and one for my father:-):-):-):-)
Dr.Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006, 10:57 AM   #15
Administrator

Congrats!

When you get them, I'd check the firmware version (it's like the camera's operating system) to make sure it's the latest.

It probably is the newest. But, if not, you'll want to upgrade it (a relatively simple procedure), since the newer version gave the camera a rather dramatic increase in performance (startup time, speed writing to memory cards).

Here's a page showing you how to check the version and update firmware:

Maxxum 7D Firmware Installation Guide

Here is the page with links to download the latest version (1.10) if it's not already installed in the cameras:

Firmware Download Links for Maxxum 7D