Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 18, 2006, 4:13 PM   #1

:?

Well i have narrowed it down to those two Cameras, no i need to figure out which one to buy.

I like the features of the E500 and the fact that it is 8 mp as well as i can adapt my OM lenses to it

but for some reason all the sample pics that i have seen, The Nikon pics seem to look nicer,

Is it the camera or the Photogrepher/other? or am i way out in left field

any help, thanks
Dr.Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 4:16 PM   #2

Ok guys i am sure you know all the ins and outs,

so what bennefits does the D70s have over the Olympus E500

thanks alot
Old May 18, 2006, 4:20 PM   #3

what are your guys thoughts?

I have heard that the E500 has alot of rubber gaskets in it, and an oly rep once put his in the shower for 20 minuts and it worked fine afterwords, this would be very nice for me be cause i am moving to a tropical climate and we do have alot of rain and humidity there, Is there any credence to this story?

And do you guys have any other thoughts on the topic D70s VS E500?

thanks alot
Old May 18, 2006, 4:36 PM   #4
Administrator

The E-500 does not have weather sealing.

You probably heardthe story about the E-1 (a pro quality body with weather sealing). It might be true if it was discussing theE-1.This model (E-1) hasrubber seals and gaskets designed to help protect it from inclement weather.

But, I don't think I'd take a shower with either camera, especially not the E-500 (or most other cameras for that matter). ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 4:43 PM   #5
Administrator

Unless you're comparing photos of the same subjects in the same conditions, using similar camera settings, it's tough to judge if one model performs better than another. We do have some sample images in the reviews here that you may want to look through, and some of the same subjects are usually included in each model's review.

One thing you may want to be aware of is that the sensor in the E500 is smaller than 35mm film. So, any lens you use on it will have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) compared to using it on a 35mm camera.

With the Olympus DSLRmodels, you need to multiply the focal length of the lens by 2x to see how the angle of view would compare to a lens on a 35mm camera.

For example, a 50mm lens on an Olympus DSLR would behave like a 100mm lens on your 35mm camera. That's great if you want a longer lens. But, it can leave you hurting on the wide end.

So, I'd make sure you've got something as wide as you need if you go that route and intend to use your existing lenses via an adapter. Another thing to consider is the viewfinder. The smaller viewfinders you find in DSLR models like this don't lend themselves that well to manual focus (although you'll see differing opinons on that).

The Nikon DSLR models also have sensors smaller than 35mm film (just not quite as small as the sensor in the Olympus models). In the Nikon'scase, you need to multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.5x to see how it would compare to a lens on a 35mm model. So, a 50mm lens on a Nikon DSLR would behave like a 75mm lens on a 35m camera (from an angle of view/apparent magnification perspective).

Make sure to read each camera's review conclusion section here. That's where you'll see comments on things like startup time, cycle time between photos, autofocus speed and reliability, image quality, etc.

I'd also try out any model you consider in a store to make sure you're comfortable with it.

Old May 18, 2006, 4:51 PM   #6
Administrator

Moderator Note:

3 Separate threads on this same subject were merged into this one thread.

Jim C.

Old May 18, 2006, 5:21 PM   #7

I should also Add, most of my Pics will be out side in varying light conditions, in the jungle and such places as Hue, the purple city, Angkor watt,

but also i would like to take indoor pics such as markets, but that will be less of the time, i would say a 65 / 35 split
Old May 18, 2006, 5:32 PM   #8

the more i read the more i hear about the e500 haveing alot of noise

where does it comepare to the d70? thanks
Old May 18, 2006, 6:30 PM   #9

wow now after talking with a member here on the board i have done a 180 and am now almost sold on a minolta
Old May 18, 2006, 6:41 PM   #10

The truth is, you can't go wrong with any of the current dslr's. What's important is how it feels and what you're comfortable with. Olympus is kind of the oddball with the 4/3 sensor and lack of inexpensive readily available glass, especially in the used market and from 3rd party manufacturers. Nikon has a great flash system (creative light system) that's easy to use, Canon has a great variety of glass, and Minolta has Antishake in body.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"In short don't spend alot of time debating and pondering what to buy, as they are all good (if not excellent). Again, feel and comfort is very important....if you're not comfortable handling the cam, you probably won't use it. Go out and try them all and see what works the best for you.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote