Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2006, 11:06 AM   #1

Im looking for a DSLR camera (Body only)to do the following:

Night time shooting to do Scenic shots, out in the wilderness or everglades and taking pics of the nocturnal creatures.

And maybe the stars (with the help of great and proper lens)

================

landscape shooting (day and night, B&W, color, night vision color)

=================

Action Shooting: Fast Enough to captures wrestlers doing thier signature moves without blur, capturing wild animals (boars, gators and fish) when hunting or trapping.

=================

Rapid Shooting - the minimum speed to learn and play with.

=================

Overall I am picking photography as a hobby but it is more as a secondary since lighting will be my main focus. Since I am into Film Production, I will be specializing in Lights. So with Photography, I will play with different light settings, filters and colors and experiments as well.

Since I don't know much about the cameras, I do not have any clue as to what camera is right for me. Please help, thank you
po8tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2006, 2:57 PM   #2

ttt
Old May 21, 2006, 7:04 PM   #3

I would recommend a DSLR for shooting wrestlers.

Indoors the lighting can be low, so you need a camera that can shoot clean images at high ISO's (sensitivity).

Also, to shoot action you need a camera with minimal shutter lag.

At the low end of the budget look at a Minolta 5D or 7D with antishake.

I'd say if you have more money look at a Canon 30D or a comparible Nikon DSLR.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 11:27 PM   #4

My budget is open but that doesn't mean I want the best of the best.. I want to save as much money as possible.

So let's figure this way:

Camera Body should be Middle, Middle to High end consumer product. (no high end)

Lenses are high ends..

================================================== ====

If I have to put a "budget" I guess im willing to spend around

500-800 on body

1000-1600 on lenses and/or lighting kit with minimum 1 lens
Old May 22, 2006, 1:16 AM   #5

I would recommend the Konica Minolta 5D or itsmore expensive older brother 7D. Image stabilized. Adorama had the latter on sale with a very good lens for less than $1000. The 5D has very good low light performance. I think one of the moderators in this forum is a big fan of these cameras. The reason that some hesitate to buy them is that they are out of the camera business, having sold much of their technology to Sony, which is supposed to take care of warranty issues.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 10:34 AM   #6

after doing alot of reading on all sorts of cameras.. I guess I am a heavy user of low Light, Night and action shooting.

but can someone be specific on what classifies "low light"? does "night" fall in that category?

im new to photography..so can someone explain low light needs high iso.. or what ISO is and why "high"?

Id appreciate it... im gonna narrow my choice of camera from a canon vs nikon since both have huge communities and I dont want to deal with Sony... I have alot of things against Sony, espically with customer services and warrenties.. I dont want another headache from Sony again, thus I refuse any sony products
Old May 22, 2006, 10:49 AM   #7

no offense meant, but, you need a class in photography

sign up at a local college or read a few books BEFORE you spend any serious money

low light (indoors or night scenes) requires either the addition of light (flash) or a 'fast' lens ( f2.8 or, preferably, f1.4) and a sensitive (high iso) recording medium

to get low natural *********s of sports/action scenes requires VERY expensive lenses, eg. a Minolta 80-200 f2.8 for $1900 new
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 4:47 PM   #8

There are not such difficult or expensivebooks which contain the answers to the questions you are asking. However, I agree - you will likely be happier with your choice of cameras if you do a couple of hours of reviewing/learning photography essentials before you buy.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 5:19 PM   #9

will do, I will be attending photography class in the fall semester and this is a serious hobby I will be taking.

I am a film student and will be specializing lights, so photgraphy will be helping me alot on lights since both photography and film cameras, I have a higher understanding of lighting in different situations.

But also in the meanwhile I do want my camera to be focused on low light/Night shooting and action.

I want a above average body camera, I understood that lens will be costing me more. Thus my reason for a 2:1 ratio (my lens will be double the price of the body camera)

Just like building a computer, you dont skimp on anything, PSU, latency of Ram, space efficieny and airflow to maximize overclocking a comp (thus having a proper case) and finding the right mother board/CPU combo for overall overclocking and pricing medium.

thus I said I want a Medium to Medium/High body camera but not high end.

with med/high to high end lenses.

=================================

So far im looking at the following options but not sure which are good for low light, high iso for my specific needs:

Minolta 5D/7D

Nikon D50/70

Olympus E 330

Canon XT/350D

Canon 20D/30D

If I end up going Canon 30D - the most expensive one in the list, I would than consider Nikon D200 and would like to know which of those 2 is better.

However the downfall of my decision on that is, the lenses arent gonna be up to par. my 2:1 ratio has been reversed, I spent 1200 on camera but 600 on lenses, instead of 600 on body and 1200 on lenses...

I'd appreciate if someone can narrow my list to the cameras that are capable of handling low light, night and action so I can continue researching and begin to see the cameras in real life and handle them to help me decide.

thank you everyone so far with your responce, no offense taken, I wish I could take my class now but I have to wait till the Fall semester and im just more anxious of getting started asap.
Old May 22, 2006, 8:29 PM   #10

Maybe call up your instructor and see what they recommend.

If I was picking from that list, and could afford it, I'd go for the Canon 30D.

I currently own the 20D and am very pleased with it.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote