Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?
A530 0 0%
A540 2 33.33%
A610 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20, 2006, 12:42 PM   #1

Hi

I have decided that I am definitely going to buy one of the above cameras - but which one?

Priorities would be ease of use and quality of photos, but size is also a factor. I get the impression that the A610 would give the best pictures, but at the cost of extra weight and money over the A530 - so perhaps the A540 would be a good compromise?

Pricewise the A530 is about £30 cheaper than the other two which are about the same.

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Christine
xtinexoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2006, 6:27 AM   #2

Christine,

I have been looking at the 610 and 530 myself. I am in the market for a DSLR but we decided to get a smaller camera first which we can take anywere.

Of these two, I feel the 610 had better results but I onlytested it out in store. The 530 I felt was a quicker camera in relation to autofocus and shutter lag which although we have not yet committed, has influenced our decision as the shutter lag on our prvious digital was a problem for taking photos of the kids.this poses a problem as although the 530 apeared quicker, we liked the flip out screen of the 610.

Anyway the speed thing may be usefull information for you. I know for us shutter lag was abig concern.

mickellay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 7:50 PM   #3

Hmmmmmm, I have read the 530 is slower. I am in the same situation, dunno which one to get.
TL514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 12:08 AM   #4

TL514

Maybe individual cameras vary? Probably best to try them out in store. If the 610had been quicker when we tried them, for us the decision would be simple as we both loved the flip out screen.

I have no camera knowledge at all. My testings were based purelyin fully auto mode, inside a department store. From that we both felt the 530 had less shutter lag though we prefered the 610. the image quality I only compared on the LCD camera screens so it may have been a commentbest not made.
mickellay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 7:49 AM   #5

Well, I had the 540 for a month before selling it to get another, more advanced camera. during the entire time, I loved the camera. The menu system is intuitive, there are 21 scene modes, manual controls, I loved the firm grip I could get on the camera compared to most other "soap-bar" cameras, and the pictures look beautiful. If I was buying another small Point and Shoot, I would definitely get this camera again. The only gripe I had with the camera was that in bright sunlight, the LCD would wash out, but I used the viewfinder most of the time anyway, so it wasn't that big of a problem for me.

I've ony seen the 610 in stores, so I can't comment on that, but for the price, you can't go wrong with the 540.
shaolin_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 11:15 AM   #6

Can't really say that shutter lag is a problem with the A610 (certainly in my experience). It may be that there are memory buffering issues in Continuous Shooting mode if you are using a slow SD card, but otherwiseit shouldn't beproblematic.

The 4xAA battery requirement of the A610 certainly makes it a little bulky but I think it actually gives you something a bit more "meaty" to grip and helps avoid potential camera shake. It also givesyou lots of shots between charges or battery changes.

The flip out screen is also brilliant and this helps in situations when bright sunlight makes a fixed LCD screen difficult to see.

ron519098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 7:27 PM   #7

ya, currently i have the A510 an it has wiked shutter lag. I agree that the 4 battery models give you a bit more to hold on to. Guess I'll waddle down to Walmart an look before buying mine off Newegg. Thing is the A530 is almost 50.00 cheaper than the A610, so there has to be a major fifference.
TL514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 10:16 PM   #8

I have owned both cameras and loved them both. My daughter dropped our 530 after two weeks, which quickly put me in the market for another. I got the 610 for the same price on e-bay. The only thing that bothers me is that I wanted a purse camera and the 530 was the perfect size. Don't get me wrong, I love the 610, but it's just a bit too big. As for the tilt screen, I don't use it at all. Actually, it's kind of a pain to keep pulling it out when I want to see a shot...but that's just me. Good luck!:-)

Futbol mom
futbol mom is offline   Reply With Quote