Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2006, 9:30 AM   #1

Guys have decided to buy a compact cam:
1)having good flash for pics to be taken in indoor disco pubs and outdoors picnics.
2)good red eye reduction facility.
3)image clarity etc..
(u all know better what more is needed)
So am listing down some cams I get here …plz help in choosing and VOTING for the best :
1)SONY T-5
2)SONY T-7
3)SONY T -9
4)SONY DW-30
5)SONY DW-50
6)NIKON S-5
7)NIKON S-6.
These are only available in my country store,,,

Help soon
samit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2006, 1:08 PM   #2

hey MODs where are u?

Old May 24, 2006, 9:55 AM   #3

this suks man!~:?
Old May 24, 2006, 10:08 AM   #4
Administrator

Not a lot of members have used more than one of these cameras, and I don't really keep up with them.

Your best bet is to read the reviews here, paying close attention to the review conclusion section (last page before the samples in each model's review). The Conclusion Section is where you'll see discussions on things like startup time, autofocus speed and reliabilty, image quality indoors and outdoors, etc.

I'd also pay attention to things like flash range.

As a general rule, most of these smaller models have a very weak flash (suitable only for relatively close ranges to your subject). I've seen a lot of complaints about the T Series Sonys in this area.

Looking at the specs for these models, it looks like the W series Sonys probably have the strongest flash out of the bunch.

Also, because the flash is located so close to the lens in subcompact models like these, redeye is usually worse than you'd get with a larger camera. As a general rule, the smaller the camera, the more compromises a manufacturer needs to make.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 4:39 PM   #5

Jimc is right, Sony T series are well designed, well made and perform well BUT by ultimate standards the flash IS weak, my daughter uses a casio compact in pubs/clubs and the results are quite acceptable IMO. Agree with Jimc again W50 out of your nominations is best.
mweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 2:28 PM   #6

what boutthe nikon series?

do they ve good flash?
Old May 26, 2006, 3:37 PM   #7
Administrator

samit wrote:
Quote:
what boutthe nikon series?

do they ve good flash?
Like I said earlier:

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Your best bet is to read the reviews here, paying close attention to the review conclusion section (last page before the samples in each model's review). The Conclusion Section is where you'll see discussions on things like startup time, autofocus speed and reliabilty, image quality indoors and outdoors, etc.

I'd also pay attention to things like flash range.
From the Nikon S6 (one of the models you asked about) Review Conclusion:

"The flash has an effective range of only about 8.5 feet when the lens is at full wide angle. This limited range coupled with the 35mm (equivalent) field of view was adequate for portraits of individuals and couples, but not for moderate sized rooms or groups."

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/s6_pg6.html

Also, look at camera specifications. It's one of the review page menu choices. Flash Range is 8 feet 6 inches at the wide angle lens position, dropping off to 4 feet 7 inches at maximum zoom (because the more optical zoom, the more light you lose with most zoom lenses)

Nikon S6 Review Specifications Section:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../s6.html#specs

Range: 0.3-2.6m/ 1 ft. – 8 ft. 6 in. (W), approx. 0.3-1.4m/ 1 ft. – 4 ft. 7 in. (T)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2006, 4:34 PM   #8

samit,

Back on January 1, you told us you owned a Sony T5 - now what? You want to buy another one, and you don't know if it's any good or not?

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=78396&forum_id=87&jump_t o=435003#p435003

And is this the same Sony T5 you started exercising this forum over back on October 9, 2005?

http://stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=70412&forum_id=87&jump_t o=386177#p386177

And, of course, you expect immediate gratification.

"this suks man!~:?"

Good luck.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote