Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2006, 7:25 PM   #1

I'm areasonably seasoned traditional B&W photographer with a Nikon N80 and an assortment of lenses. Although I've acquired some decent lenses, I rarely change them unless I'm shooting in a studio. I really love my N80 but I'm looking to get a digital for casual shooting... That being said, I love controls. I hate autofocus and auto anything settings. From what I've found, dSLRs are the ones with the most manual options but with my infrequent changing of lenses on my primary camera, I'm thinking that I don't want a dSLR. Plus, most of the packages in my price range come with less than great lenses.

So my budget is about $700. I don't have a preference on size. I want something built well... too many of these new cameras feel dinky compared to what I'm used to. Thus far, the Sony R1 isthe winner in my search. I like taking macro shots and portraits, not at all interested in action. I'm not so sure how I feel about the EVF but I figure I'll get used to it.

Anyone have any suggestions for a camera or a package? :G Thanks!
anovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2006, 8:09 PM   #2
Log

well if your purchasing an R1 i assume your willing to allow your budget to go to $1000?... just an assumption... and in my opinion... if you have an assortment of decent lenses for your n80, then id go with a dslr... maybe d50/70s an slr will generally always give more control

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"just my $0.02

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Logan
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 4:42 AM   #3
E.T

Non-SLR with best manual controls is definitely two years old KonicaMinolta A2, controls are as good as in dSLRs and actually using custom white balance is way easier than even in Canon's professional dSLRs.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A2/A2A8.HTM
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...taa2/page5.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...taa2/page6.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/koni...taa2/page7.asp

Also there's lot of handgrip to hold on, low-end Canon 350D dSLR feels as toy compared to A2. And with vertical grip/battery pack it's even better
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a2_pg3.html (scroll down)

Lens covers 28-200mm range (F2.8-F3.5) and macro capability is one of the best of fixed lens digicams because macro works in tele end there isn't those distortions/corner softness produced by common wide angle macros and lightning target is easier because lens don't need to be crammed to targets side.
And EVF is superior to all other EVF/LCDs, while others have ~230 000 pixels at most A2 has 922 000 pixel EVF.
High-Precision mode (30 frames per second), which allows for very precise adjustments to focusing and frame composition by utilizing the high resolving power of the 30 frames per second rate. It is incredibly precise for adjusting manual shots like macros and portraits that require very careful focusing. Focusing is simple and accurate, without the need to enlarge the image.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a2_pg2.html

anovice wrote:
Quote:
I like taking macro shots and portraits, not at all interested in action.
So from that aspect non-SLR would work very well, action is one of those areas where dSLRs are superior and quite much "must", same goes for all low light moving target shots. High sensitivy coupled with fast primes is superior combination for those.

But in case of dSLR you might want to have longer zoom general lens (for examplet there's some lenses giving effective ~28-300mm range) for decreasing need to change lenses, it's just that from those all except very expensive lenses drop to F5.6-F6.3 in tele end meaning A2 is actually quite good for lower light stationary because A2's lens drops just to F3.5 and stabilization gives ~three stops longer shutter time. (and there's always that good old tripod)

And non-SLRs actually have one big advantage in macros, you don't need to crawl in ground for getting shots of those flowers and such.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2006, 10:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the replys...

I thought the D70 was above my pricerange but with further shopping that doesn't seem to be the case. As for the comment about $1000, I have found the R1 at numerous places for around $700. $700 is truely the target price for me and as I go up to $1000 I start to question whether or not I really need it.

The A2 looks like a nice camera but because it is kind of out of data now, the prices aren't competitive at all. $700 seems like alot for an outdated model. The Sony is new, getting rave reviews, and is about the same cost.

Are there any cameras like the R1? Something to consider other than a D70?

Thanks!:-D

Old May 24, 2006, 11:42 AM   #5
E.T

anovice wrote:
Quote:
The A2 looks like a nice camera but because it is kind of out of data now, the prices aren't competitive at all.* $700 seems like alot for an outdated model.
Despite of its age it's still most feature rich non-SLR camera and propably will still be for many years. After release of dumbed down/stripped successor (more media sexy low end dSLRs caused heavy price comptetition) there was talk in Dpreview forum that implementing A2's high resolution EVF already cost nearly 100$ for KM which would be very much for a single part. Also KonicaMinolta made firmware update for it last November which increased writing speed considerably. (only few cameras get firmware update in their lifetime, and getting one 1½ years after discontinuing production...)
And isn't it a sign of classic that prices don't fall like icicle at spring after discontinuing production/release of newer models like happens to about all other cameras?

Sony R1 is propably going to be left as only of its kind camera... Sony bought KonicaMinolta's camera business for getting "own" SLR lens mount and propably now wants to kick people to that side.
Also whole camera is quite contradictionary package, its size and weight is similar to dSLR with general lens but it's capabilities are much more limited because of fixed lens, neither it has usefull video mode which comes as bonus in non-SLRs. (sometimes still shots just don't do the job, like when being under thunderstorm's downburst)
Unless high sensitivity without shutter noise is must I wouldn't see much reason in going after R1 instead of dSLR.

As for dSLRs count also required lenses to your budget, most of SLR lenses aren't good for macros.
Old May 26, 2006, 10:35 PM   #6

So I went to the store to look at some cameras and checked out the D70/D50 and the sales person suggested the Fuji S3 Pro as an alternative that would accept my current lenses. I guess there has been a recent (huge) price drop with this camera bringing a retail price of $2500 down the below $1000. It looks nice but it is quite hefty...

Major differences between the D70 and the S3? In image quality?

Like before I just can't seem to like the D50.... I'm still trying to find someplace that has the R1 in stock as I'd like to feel it in hand before I order.

I really like the idea of the S3 and I hadn't looked at it before.
Old May 27, 2006, 4:49 PM   #7
E.T

Dpreview has quite accurate photographic comparisons but for a dSLR that camera is "fast as snail" if you intend to use RAW. (actually even A2 beats it in RAW shooting)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...pro/page10.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...pro/page17.asp
(and lot of following pages)