Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2006, 2:43 AM   #1

Having been burgled I am now in the position of replacing my pocket sized camera, aCanon S70(thank goodness the SLR kit was away with me). I haven't looked at point and press cameras for sometime and am sure you can help me decide which is now best for my needs, which are:-

Wide angle zoom (28mm equivalent minimum)

Lithium battery for long life

7mp minimum

Preferably with manual override control too such as shutter and aperture priority.

Look forward to your suggestions!
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2006, 10:36 AM   #2

hey there cameranserai,

a quick search through the www.dpreview.com feature search, and it seems you're pretty much between the s80 and the panasonic lumix dmc-lx1. I'd go for the panasonic, which is slimmer, has a higher resolution lcd and has image stabilization.

I'm a wide angle user myself, being an architect, and I know that narrows the selection down to just a few models. as to me, I bought a dslr and then didn't mind much about my pocket-sized, as long as it had manual controls and decent image quality. I currently own a p100, but I'll replace it for a weather- or waterproof such as the pentax wp as soon as I can... to cover more ground, if you know what I mean. I won't be taking my dslr for a speedboat ride.

anyway. for what it's worth, I'd go for the panasonic lx1 if I were you.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 11:19 AM   #3

Thanks very much for that. I have a D70 and D2X and loads of lenses from 500mm down to 12/24 which are great (but bulky and heavy)but this small camera I keep in the car or ready for all occasions so I think the Panasonic seems to be the one. As a journalist one never knows when a moment might arrive! Once again my thanks for replying.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2006, 11:26 AM   #4
Administrator

Here's a recent thread started by peripatetic that may give you some ideas, since he was also looking for a compact camera with good wide angle capability.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=87

He ended up going with a Panasonic FX01.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote