Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2006, 7:42 PM   #21

Although the memory stick might be a lesser choice, I find having AA batteries to be a plus.
asburydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 7:44 PM   #22

I believe that all three are capable cameras. You should go to a shop and handle all three (or more). You may not like the feel or placement of the controlsand it pretty much will come down to personal preference. S3, H2, and H5 useAA batteries (4 for S3 and 2 for H2/5), a real plus. I own 2 Sony cameras and they are very efficient with batteries.fz7 has a great lens, but proprietary battery is a down side.

All thecameras mentioned have a noise problem athigher speeds, butimages may be easily cleaned up with software.

Memory card, I believe is a non-issue. Although Pro Duo sticks cost a little more, overall price of a stick is not a big deal, considering the investment. Do a search on eBay to get an idea of prices - prices are dropping.
paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 7:56 PM   #23

I posted earlier in the thread and I am also considering the same cameras. After reading all the posts, I think I am going with the Sony H2 or H5. Actually, the memory stick is an advantage for me as I own other Sony products which use memory sticks.
Camera I am replacing is a rather dated DSC-S70 and it has never failed me. I guess I will remain loyal to the Sony product!
dcanup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 8:00 PM   #24

Look out - H2 and H5 use memory stick duo which is shorter than older size.
Old May 28, 2006, 8:13 PM   #25

Thanks! I didn't realize that. Actually, I bought a memory stick duo by mistake last year.....at the time I wasn't aware they carried different memory sticks!
Still think I will stick with the Sony, though. This will be my 3rd Sony digital camera...started out with the one that used a floppy disk! Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing out on something better out there.
Old May 28, 2006, 8:33 PM   #26

E.T wrote:
Quote:
rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
It is usually easier to move closer to an object than it is to move further away.
PS. Try to fit sunset or landscape into frame by moving backwards.
I'm not sure what your point is:?. I'm in agreement with you...I believe the wider end is much more important than the super telezoom. My point is zoom can be replicated by simply getting closer. It is usually much harder to duplicate wide angle by moving backwards. In a small room, its impossible, and moving backwards for landscapes often forces you to include unwanted, distracting elements.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 8:52 PM   #27

why choose H2 or H5 over S3?
I had a Sony too (F717) great camera, but i think that Canon is better......or am i wrong?
BeeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 9:13 PM   #28

I don't think that one is necessarily "better" than the other. To each his own - if Canon was "better", everyone else would be out of business. I have been happy with my two older Sony's,as my friend is happy with his Fuji.
Old May 28, 2006, 9:16 PM   #29

Hmmmm.....not sure if you are asking me, but I guess I am choosing Sony because that is what I am most familiar with. Having owned Sony cameras for around 8-10 years, seems the basic operations are pretty much the same. Looking at Sony cameras in the stores, I can most always pick one up and feel comfortable with the operations. (If that makes sense)
On the other hand, my dad was a professional photographer (old school) and beleives to this day that Canon is a superior product!
After reading numerous reviews, post, and comparing side by side, looks like a toss-up to me!
Not 100% positive that I am going with the H5.....probably will go with whichever is in stock when I go to purchase!
Old May 28, 2006, 9:17 PM   #30

When i say better, i mean better image quality, better color quality.

BeeF is offline   Reply With Quote