Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2006, 1:39 PM   #1

So, i want to buy a super zoom camera or even a prosumer.
The choices are
Canon S2IS
Panasonic FZ20
Panasonic FZ7
Sony DSC H2
Fuji S5600 (s5200)
I want a camera with good quality image and no noise. Of course i prefere the s2 and fz20. But i've heard that pansonic doesn't make fz20s anymore. Is that true ?
And by the way. will canon s2 still be produced with the appearance of s3 ? Untill when ?
PLS help
bugatty7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2006, 3:58 PM   #2

You could also consider over the H2 the H1.

It is well proven to have superb images, has abigger screen , one less megapixel and only really useable up to ISO 200 , but still combined with the Sony tcon you get pin sharp images at a handheld 734mm !
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2006, 5:25 PM   #3
E.T

You forgot the most important thing...
What targets you would photograph? (+in what conditions)
Because zoom number tells exactly none about how good camera is for certain use.

bugatty7373 wrote:
Quote:
I want a camera with good quality image and no noise.
No noise? That would dSLR... or then you could put normal small sensor digicam into freezer for couple hours before taking shots...
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 2:09 AM   #4

no noise........that isn't posible and i know that. i wanted to say little noise.
i want to use the camera 60-70% outdoor adn 30-40% indoor. I want to take pictures of landscapes, animals away from me (that's why i nedd the zoom), birds on the sky etc... and some portraits.
And i want a good looking camera.
So, the big question for you is :
Do Panasonic still produce the fz20 ? and
Will canon produce the s2 anymore ?
Old May 29, 2006, 4:53 AM   #5
E.T

Production of both has been propably discontinued some time ago, FZ30 replaced FZ20 nearly year ago and I don't think Canon would have been making S2s since last year.
(so those ones available are from stocks of shops and importers)

FZ20 has brighter tele end of lens but successor FZ30 has manual zoom which would be much faster and more accurate for framing.
If emphasis would be on wild animals/birds (=actively photographing those) FZ30 might be camera I would choose.
Again for general nature photography with emphasis on landscapes and wild animals/birds being on secondary/"target of opportunity" position Fuji S9000 would be my choise because of better wide angle.

bugatty7373 wrote:
Quote:
(that's why i nedd the zoom)
It ain't the zoom but focal lengths what's important (that's why they never talk about such thing as zoom in SLRs), for wide landscapes the smaller the focal length is the better, for wild animals&birds longer is better.
Optically those are just very hard+expensive to combine so you won't get good wide angle and very long tele in one package. (except one Samsung which has other compromises)
Old May 29, 2006, 11:22 AM   #6

fz30 and s9000 are too expensive for me. i want something of about 400 euros maximum.
Old May 31, 2006, 4:49 AM   #7

sorry 'bout the double post, but can somebody help me pls. or does it worth a 300d second hand kit at about 450 euros. thx
Old May 31, 2006, 12:38 PM   #8
E.T

DSLRs have definitely magnitude lower noise... also focusing speed would be much better.
And if you later get interested more about some special thing there's very wide range of different lenses.

But then you have to take price of lens(/es) into account, normal kits have very short zoom lens so those won't give much anything from wild animals/birds and you propably wouldn't be interested about having multiple lenses to haul around. Lenses with long zoom range aren't common for them but at least Sigma and Tamron both have lenses which give ~27-300mm (18-200mm real focal lenght) range. That would be good wide angle (better than superzooms which really don't have anything to boast when it comes to wide angle) and for normal shooting ~300mm isn't much shorter than ~400mm and for longer range shots you would still need more than 400mm.

As downside dSLRs don't have any kind video mode if that's important, also they don't offer live exposure preview like non-SLRs.
Old May 31, 2006, 1:33 PM   #9

i'll buy a dslr if i will have enough money because in don't consider video mode and live exposure disadvanttages.
buton the other hand, if I will not have enough money waht should I buy from fz7, s2 and h2.
i like fz7 most, but i heardt that is has got too much image noise. what do you think ?
Old Jun 10, 2006, 3:04 AM   #10

i thing i will buy a digital rebel (aka 300d) kit and a 50 mm 1.8