Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2006, 2:14 PM   #1

Just now my Konica Minolta Dimage G530 stopped working. The lens will not dispear in the camera body any more...

I want to switch to a Canon camera..

I am now looking for a new dig. camera, which can shoot day/night pictures o.k. and a good flash. Is image stabilizer, that important for a good camera ...or?

The cam. does not have to be pocket-size, because i have a great hand.., i want to hold it good/firm in my hand.

To be short, i am a amateur-photogr. who will shoot in nature-partys-sometimes close-ups.

First i was thinking of The Canon A700, but i think it has no image stab.??

Please help me in choosing a good cam.
server666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 2:54 PM   #2
E.T

Actually very few Canons have stabilization.

And again there aren't cameras which could take night photos... but then again you propably live in a city where nights are possible only at time of power failures.
In that case image stabilization would help much if targets are stationary. (like architecture and landscapes)

As for flash very rare cameras have strong flash, you should expect about 4 meter range at most. (that's why there's lot of separate flashes available)

server666 wrote:
Quote:
The cam. does not have to be pocket-size, because i have a great hand..,

That's right and you really wouldn't like feel of that camera...

Also do you want more manual controls or aren't you interested from those? And what parts of nature photography is most important, is it landscapes, sunset and such or is it more wild animals/birds?

server666 wrote:
Quote:
i want to hold it good/firm in my hand.
In that area there isn't any competition for Konica Minolta A2 with BP-400 batterygrip.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a2_pg3.html

Before deciding you should really try cameras in your hand especially because you mentioned having big hand, most cameras seem to be designed for very small hands.

PS. Did some seller tell that Canons are best or what?
Those are mostly standard dozenware with only some cameras rising above "mass". (and those ain't fault proof, friends Ixus developed lens retraction problem)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 4:01 PM   #3

E.T wrote:
Quote:
Actually very few Canons have stabilization.

And again there aren't cameras which could take night photos... but then again you propably live in a city where nights are possible only at time of power failures.
In that case image stabilization would help much if targets are stationary. (like architecture and landscapes)

As for flash very rare cameras have strong flash, you should expect about 4 meter range at most. (that's why there's lot of separate flashes available)

server666 wrote:
Quote:
The cam. does not have to be pocket-size, because i have a great hand..,

Quote:
That's right and you really wouldn't like feel of that camera...

Also do you want more manual controls or aren't you interested from those? And what parts of nature photography is most important, is it landscapes, sunset and such or is it more wild animals/birds?
Quote:
Yes, it would ok if i had some manual controls.
Quote:
Nature-photogr.: zoo-pictures, garden, landscapes, it does not have to be a Prof. cam. (budget 300-400 euro)

server666 wrote:
Quote:
i want to hold it good/firm in my hand.
Quote:
In that area there isn't any competition for Konica Minolta A2 with BP-400 batterygrip.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a2_pg3.html

Before deciding you should really try cameras in your hand especially because you mentioned having big hand, most cameras seem to be designed for very small hands.

PS. Did some seller tell that Canons are best or what?
Those are mostly standard dozenware with only some cameras rising above "mass". (and those ain't fault proof, friends Ixus developed lens retraction problem)
Quote:
Thanx, for your support also..
server666 is offline   Reply With Quote