Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2006, 10:53 PM   #1

OK, so I need help.I'm looking for a fairly compact p&s. It will be used primarily for recreation type shooting, generally low light, with a mix of indoors and out, and fast shots are important.*Being able to quickly take a shot without the lag that I'm used to from older digitals is very important, so the faster the shooter the better. Set up shots will be occasional, but overall rare, so a little lack there is alright. My budget will reach as far as I need it to, but say around 5 or 6 hundred.Macro is nice, but not so necessary, and same for zoom, though wide angle would be nice but, I realize, rather unrealistic. Upward of 5 megapixels, preferably 6 or 7, unless I can be talked into it. 11x18 printing is near minimum.*I'd appreciate any help or recommendations at all, and opinions or questions are more than welcome.Thanks a lot.*
Shortsord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 2, 2006, 6:29 PM   #2

Alright, I did some research of my own.I like the SD 700 IS from Canon. The IS and ISO 800 seem to indicate it would be perfect for my needs, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Any recommendations for comparale cameras?Also, any comments on how the noise is at ISO 800 on this thing? I expect it to be bad, but will it be bad enough that something below a 5x7 will be noticable?Any help, again, is appreciated.*Oh, and comments on shutter lag are very important as well. Please.*
Shortsord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 8:52 PM   #3

In the only professional review I could find on the SD700, it didn't fare too well in the noise department, especially in low light.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/

You might want to consider the Fuji F30, which is about to be released (?). It takes the existing F10 low light performance (ISO 1600), and extends it up to ISO 3200. You might want to take a look at the F10 reviews, if low light photography and camera speed are important to you.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote