Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2006, 11:18 AM   #1

OK, So I've been looking at SLRs, and the three that I liked the most are the Canon EOS 30D, the 350D, and the Olympus Evolt E330.

Although I am most inclined to the 30D; I've read good reviews (on here as well) of the Evolt E330 and it is much cheaper; and on the Steve's Digicams Best list is put alongside the 30D and the D200 in the enthusiast DSLR category.

Could anyone make a suggestion? Of what I see, the Evolt costs about 300 dollars less than the 30D, which leaves that much more to get another lens or two to add to the shooting range. Is the 30D worth the extra amount, or is the Evolt well equipped enough as a DSLR to hold its own against the 30D?

Iluvatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 12:05 PM   #2

If I may copy my reply from another thread...

Every camera on the market today is the *PERFECT* camera for someone.

A DSLR gives you practically everything you ever need as a photographer (in a camera), and lets you choose the same in what lens you buy. Some DSLR's offer better bad-weather protection, or more adaptable/confusing/expensive autofocus options...

The farther down the scale you go, the less things the camera will give you. It will restrict things like shot-to-shot time, ability to use high-iso settings, or the ability to change to your dedicated macro lens. These need not be bad things, since they are often balanced by good points like a small light kit, low cost, and ease of use.

To determine whats "better", you absolutely must look at yourself, not at the camera. Each and every one of them can make outstanding photos, but not neccasarily under the conditions of your choosing.

I'd pick out a lens or two, and then find a camera to attach them to.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 12:20 PM   #3

well, i generally shoot street photography, and birds.

the main page lists the following lenses:

so there is variety available in the Olympus range... what i'd like to know is how much of a qualitative difference is there between images that are taken from the two?

the three features with an obvious advantage i see with the 30D are the capacity to go upto iso3200 (as compared to the E330's iso1600; and 1/8000s on the 30D to the E330's 1/4000s

my main concern is whether the NMOS on the evolt is comparable to the canon CMOS. any thoughts on that?
Old May 31, 2006, 2:28 PM   #4
E.T

Size of sensor used by Olympus is smaller than that of other dSLRs so noise will be higher.
That difference in sensor size is also the reason why other dSLRs have a "crop factor" of about ~1.5x while with Olympus you have to double real focal length of the lens for getting 35mm equivalent focal length.

Here's comparable ISO1600 shots from both Canon 350D and Olympus E330
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...52_iso1600.jpg
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/P3220028.JPG
(for comparing to ISO1600 of 350D here's E330's ISO800)

Also here's Dpreview's test: (30D and 350D have very similar noise performance)
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse330/page17.asp

And here's low light scenery shots:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/eos_30d-review/
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...ew/index.shtml

So Olympus has about one stop (maybe little over) behind in noise performance but on the other hand tele end of lenses is considerably faster than that of normal less expensive lenses for Canon's. (Also those tele zoom lenses are lighter/smaller)

Also you should try these in your hand, there might be differences in ergonomics.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:33 AM   #5

Birding can get really expensive.... If your considering any of the several thousand dollar super-telephoto lenses, they could make or break your decision.

If your doing it on a budget the 2x crop of the olympus might help, but only if you can get comparable lenses for comparable prices. Noise will be lower with the canon, perhaps allowing a little higher iso. Thats going to be based on your preferences more than anything.

Ergonomics play a huge role in how well you get along with your equipment. If you cant use it well, then the best there is wont help your photography. On a lesser note, a more comfortable easy to use camera will make your shooting more fun. My camera dissapears when I'm shooting, I dont think about buttons displays or menus but just have an intuitive connection with it. The interface of some cameras just gets in the way, but this is subjective...
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:50 PM   #6

thanks for the replies guys; cleared the issue up a bit; but still can't decide :O
Old Jun 2, 2006, 8:44 AM   #7

I just got a 350D and am liking it very much so far. It's the same picture quality of the 30D more or less. So that may be another option to consider. What you'll miss is more advanced features and custom settings as well as ergonimics. But in the end, the photos are generally just as good.

I was considering the D50, D70s, 350D, Fuji S3 Pro, 20D/30D, E330, E500.

Since my budget was to get a camera and a decent lens for under 1K that narrowed my chooses to the D50, D70s, 350D, and the Oly cams.

Out of these the 350D seemed to have the best picture quality. I loved the way the D70s felt in my hand but to me PQ is the most important. So it really depends on what you want to do or which you prefer the most in dSLR land.
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 6:09 PM   #8

Well, the XT is an 8mp cam and shares the same sensor as the 20D / 30D.

So you're getting a lot of bang for your buck in the XT.

I was goofing with the Drebel (version before the XT) the other day and I was suprised at it's simplicity.

Very nice cam. So I say rock on with the XT.

But I agree with NHL, if you have a specific use in mind, maybe think lens selection first and cam body second.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote