Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2006, 12:12 PM   #1

I'm looking for a camera primarily for shooting sailboat racing and outdoor subjects. It would be nice if it performed well for nighttime football under the lights but I well understand theproblems with that. I primarily do video so I'd like to keep the budgetaround $600. I shoot from a chase boat so no tripod. I've looked at some of the DSLRs but when adding on the cost of lens, it looks like they're out of my price range unless someone has a suggestion.

Any suggestions on a digital best suited for this? I'm leaning toward the Panasonic FZ30 but will it be too slow to capture quick action? I like the Fuji S9000 but will I have a problem because of the lack of image stabilization?

Any suggestions including other models would be greatly appreciated.
sail978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 5:22 PM   #2

A cheaper superzoom with decent low light performance is the Fuji S5200, with its 10X optical zoom and 5 megapixel images. It has ISO settings up to 1600. I think the image quality is good up to ISO 400. 800 is ok. 1600, I would use only in a pinch. It has a short shutter lag and can take fairly fast bursts of 3images in a row. It doesn't have image stabilization, though. It costs under $300 online.

Steve liked it. http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s5200_pg5.html

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:59 AM   #3

Well, went out and looked at cameras yesterday and now I'm thinking I should go the extra couple of hundred for a DSLR. I really liked the feel of the Olympus D500. I can get it with two lenses for about $700. My question is are the two lenses that come with it. suitable for sports: 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 Zuike?
sail978 is offline   Reply With Quote