Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2006, 2:52 PM   #1

Right now I currently have a Olympus D-550 and I want to get something better in picture quality. I'm looking for a picture improvement over my Olympus D-550. I mainly take picture of Cars, People, Outside and Inside. What's the best fit for me? Please read below.

1) Im planning on buying a Olympus C-4000 or a Canon Powershot SD600, i can get both for around the same price. Which one of these Camera's is better in picture quality?

2) I was also looking forward to the Casio Exilim EX S600 or the Optio S4. Are these any better than the Olympus C-4000 or Canon Powershot SD600 in picture quality or overall?

3) How is the Canon Powershot G2 compared to any of these camera's i listed?

If your able to answer any of my questions or give me any advice that would be greatly appreciated

Reply back asap. Thanks Alot!

Prodigy215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2006, 5:34 PM   #2

Will anyone give me a answer? Does the Canon Powershot SD600 have any cons with it as in, sometimes it takes dark pictures, or is blurry sometimes? bad video recording? whats not good about these camera's, give me a answer atleast.
Old May 31, 2006, 7:51 PM   #3

I don't know about the other cameras and I have never owned an Olympus C-4000 although I came close to buying it more than 2 years ago at Costco. I think it takes good pictures. However, I wouldn't buy it now unless it were at a super bargain price because it uses SmartMedia cards which top out at 128 megabytes and are relatively hard to find and expensive.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 9:56 PM   #4

After looking at the review of the SD500, I would get it in a wink over an Olympus C-4000. The camera is easier to carry, takes higher resolution pictures of very good quality according to Steve, uses cheaper SD cards, and has a superior movie mode.
Old May 31, 2006, 10:23 PM   #5

robbo wrote:
Quote:
After looking at the review of the SD500, I would get it in a wink over an Olympus C-4000. The camera is easier to carry, takes higher resolution pictures of very good quality according to Steve, uses cheaper SD cards, and has a superior movie mode.
Oh ok, I have been looking at the Canon Powershot G2. Is the Canon G2 better than the SD600?

I've also seen the SD550, it has 7.1 megapixels and the SD600 has 6.0 mega-pixels. Do you think there's any diff between those 2?
Old Jun 1, 2006, 12:53 AM   #6

The G2came out in 2001. It's got a fast lens (F2.0 at wide angle and F2.5 at telephoto). A friend of mine had it last year and showed it to me. It's not small. The shutter lag seems longer than for the new Canons. It's a well built camera. However, I still wouldn't pay a lot for it.

As far as 6 megapixel vs. 7 megapixel, I doubt you will notice much difference.

Go to the sample pictures at the end of Steve's reviews of the cameras in question. Download them and look at them full screen. Probably very hard to see much difference.

My advice in general: don't buy a camera which came out more than 2 years ago, unless you get it for a very good price and it has some feature (e.g. F2.0 lens) that isn't present in the newer cameras. The fast lens could come in handy in low light shooting without flash.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:38 AM   #7
E.T

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't buy it now unless it were at a super bargain price because it uses SmartMedia cards which top out at 128 megabytes and are relatively hard to find and expensive.
I wouldn't buy such camera at any price.

G2 was very good camera at its time but now it drags behind in many areas, like shutter lags and burst speeds.
On the other hand SD600 and others you mentioned are entirely other class cameras and doesn't really have much any manual controls (all ultracompacts lack those regardless of age) and G2's lens is one stop brighter in wide end and two stops brighter in tele end than these compacts and most of cameras.

If it's small pocket camera you're after G2 or its successors can't compete with SD600 or these others but if it doesn't need to fit into small pocket and you also want some controls ultracompacts aren't best choises.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:54 AM   #8

E.T wrote:
Quote:
robbo wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't buy it now unless it were at a super bargain price because it uses SmartMedia cards which top out at 128 megabytes and are relatively hard to find and expensive.
I wouldn't buy such camera at any price.

G2 was very good camera at its time but now it drags behind in many areas, like shutter lags and burst speeds.
On the other hand SD600 and others you mentioned are entirely other class cameras and doesn't really have much any manual controls (all ultracompacts lack those regardless of age) and G2's lens is one stop brighter in wide end and two stops brighter in tele end than these compacts and most of cameras.

If it's small pocket camera you're after G2 or its successors can't compete with SD600 or these others but if it doesn't need to fit into small pocket and you also want some controls ultracompacts aren't best choises.
Oh ok. Well the camera size doesn't matter to me, i'm just looking for a camera that takesgreat pictures(people, places, cars, outside, etc)with great video recording. In your opinion, what camera will fit me best besides those $1000 SLR Camera's?

Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:55 AM   #9

I would get something like a Canon 610 or 620.
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:57 PM   #10

robbo wrote:
Quote:
I would get something like a Canon 610 or 620.
Ok cool. Thanks alot for the replies..

I have one more quick question about the Canon 610 or 620. How is the video recording? Is the video recordingsuperior like the Canon SD600 in your opinion? Anyone else advice is welcome also.

thanks again