Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:56 AM   #1

currently i own a Canon Powershot A610.
great camera. love it. gets the job done when necessary. have taken many wonderful pictures with it. my brother has the A620. go figure.

time to upgrade.

originally i wanted the Canon 350d. its still on my radar as my first DSLR. i've played around with the idea of the Canon 20d, Nikon D70 and even the Fuji S3. i've realized that they are all different and all produce great photos if paired with the right lenses ...etc...etc. there is a big price difference depending on the cameras that's why i havent decided on which direction to go. i just dont know if the price is worth the camera and the quality it may be able to give me.

one question still stands in my mind. how would all 3 cameras compare when it comes to lag time and writing to disk. (i dont know how to ask the question) in other words if im shooting a photo at highest possible settings how long does it take to write to disk before i can shoot another shot? (raw, jpeg etc) is it the same for all digital cameras or am i right to assume that each camera is different?

also as far as image quality goes, would i be able to notice a difference in quality? eventually i think im going to have my photos printed and framed. are colors much "brighter" using one camera vs using another? grainier photos? overall image quality in one better than on another?

the purpose will be pretty much all-around. i live in the city and i've always been interested in taking photos on any given day. so there is no specific purpose but i want a camera that will allow me to be versatile.

any info that can be given will be appreciated. thanks
nobluo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2006, 1:36 PM   #2

If you got big hands skip the 350D, the 20D should be a nice camera bigger viewfinder, higher ISO, nicer controls it's technically a metal alloy version of the 350xt with better ergonomics, easier controls. The S3 is a nice camera, shares the same lens mounts as nikon but be warned that it't not good for sports, events and rapid shooting, It's a 12mp camera wich is not FF because it's 2x6mp strapped next to each other. If you have a little more $$ invest in a 30D wich has longer shutter life and quieter shutter noise.
I would get a 20D body(1,000) from B&H and a 17-85IS lens can be found for about (500$), and a extreme 3 memory, also add a cheap 3rd party battery.
ellover009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 2:01 PM   #3

Remember that when you step up to dslr the pictures will look a bit on the soft side, you will need to do some software sharpening. A P/S on the right hands yield better results than a dslr, when it comes to speed and low light performance a dslr is the way to go.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 5:01 PM   #4

Well, I have a Canon 20D and have taken about 6,000 sports photos with it, and it still blows me away with it's responsiveness.

Sometimes I get shots I really don't even deserve to get!

I think the XT is a very good cam as well, but if you can afford the 20D you will be very happy with the quality long after the price is forgotten.

If you're happy with Canon, my advice is to stick with it.

I have a Canon S80 where I personally screwed up the retractable lens and they fixed it, for free, no questions asked.

I'm probably a Canon lifer at this point.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 6:21 PM   #5

i think i've decided to stick with Canon at this point. in the past i had a Nikon 2000 which was many years ago. camera got stolen and i since jumped ship and bought the canon a610.

im pretty sure im going to end up with the 350d. i've been reading alot and trying to compare it with others. i've seen photos taken from the cameras i have on my list. i think im ending up with the 350d....if not i'll probably end up with the 20d.

Question- when it comes to takin large photos (over 5mp shots) how long does it take to write to the media? or is it dependent on the media being used? any recommendation on what media to get for the 350d?

also, im not going to get the stock lens that comes with the 350d. can someone possibly recommend two different lenses which i want to purchasee with the camera? one lense would be like a multi-purpose lense for my daily needs. the other lense would be one that can zoom over distances. for now i think that's what i want to start off with and then buy other lenses in the future.

thanks for your help thus far
Old Jun 4, 2006, 7:50 PM   #6

The 30D is the fastest because it has the biggest buffer (ram), 2nd is 20D and 3rd is 350xt. The speed you write stuff depends a lot in the Memory type you use and speed, exp anything above extreme 2 memory is good, a mini hard drive type of memory would slow you down a bit (if you get the 20D check your firmware I think the newest one messes it up and makes slow write speeds, and a good ammount of microdrives don't support too well the 30D) CF is microdrives they suck a bit more battery life but you get ram cheap, SD is more reliable cost a bit more, I would get one of each, Important stuff the SD for practice and walking around CF don't understimate CF they make great memory cards. As for write speed for format raw is the slowest since it retains all details of the immage and has not be tampered with, the 30D shoots the fastest raw of the group 5raw sec and has more sharpening levels for the jpegs. as for a good walk around lens 17-85IS and 70-200L IS then you can add an extender for the 70-200 to bump you up to 300 territory. Good Luck.
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:03 PM   #7

any links to any specific lenses?
so many lenses and the price range varies.

im going to bh photovideo this week to look at some lenses and ask more questions. that might help a bit
thanks
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:45 PM   #8

Here's main site
http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/
17-85IS http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...-usm-ef-s.html
17-40L you might need to mug someone to affort this
http://www.popphoto.com/assets/downl...5200415311.pdf

Heres another good site
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15252

Good luck, it's nice looking at stuff I can't affort lol. Anyways I've been looking at the 17-85IS I'll be nice to handheld a lotta shots, devating if I need it at such low range, maybe get kit lens (It's not a bad lens for $$ no matter what ppl say all you need to know is that at certain rance you have to change F15 ect). and the 70-200L IS
So here's something
17-85IS + 70-200L IS add a extender to move range up to 300
Good Luck
Old Jun 4, 2006, 10:53 PM   #9

This site has all info you need
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html
Old Jun 19, 2006, 1:32 PM   #10

thanks a bunch